Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which camera should I buy and why?

Which camera should I buy and why?
NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

Please tell me which among the 3MP and which among the 4MP cameras I should buy.

Among 4 Megapixel Cameras under $400
Olympus Stylus 400
vs.
Olympus Camedia D-565

Among 3 Megapixel Cameras under $400
Olympus Stylus 300
vs.
Olympus Camedia D-560
vs.
Canon Powershot SD100
vs.
Nikon Coolpix 3700
vs.
Sony Cybershot DSC-P8
vs.
Sony Cybershot DSC-P72

I'm aware of the specifications of the various cameras. What I want to know is what's better feel wise, what's easier to take around, and what's better with exposure, color, etc.

Thanks.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 12:11 AM

My favorite site for reading camera reviews is dcresource. He is very indepth, and gives full resolution samples of every camera. Try checking there if you want to see examples of different exposures.

todrain
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 12:57 AM

Get a 4mp if you can afford it. Next year the low end will be three and all the midrange will be 4. It really doesn't matter too much for newer injet printers, but enlargements are easier with more megapixels.

I have an Olympus C750 now, and it's been great. I've used the Stylus 400 too, and it's a great camera, if a little pricey. The Canon A80 might be another one to consider... it's been getting great reviews.

I think the actual use it determined by the user. Some people love to fiddle with controls, others prefer to just shoot and forget. I'd suggest you stop into a store and try a few out there to see what you think.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2003, 05:03 AM

How much is the Canon Ixus 400 now? (great camera)
we don't have time to stop for gas

jamester
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 11:16 AM

Anytime I see the IXUS 400's US cousin the PowerShot S400 in stores here in the US, it's $449. I can find it online for as low as $390'ish.

That said, I personally decided on a Nikon Coolpix 4500 - a slightly older camera, but I'm buying it from a user here @ macnn. Paying tonight, hopefully delivered by early next week.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2003, 09:15 PM

Another excellent resource is www.dpreview.com

I'm partial to Canons, but I recommend going to a store, looking at the cameras, and finding out which one you like handling the best. Reviews are no good if you don't enjoy using the camera.

fats277
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 09:08 PM

Get the olympus c50. I got it for $400 with shipping from beach camera. metal body, slick, great photos, good interface, handy dandy.

Tom

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 11:01 PM

I myself am partial to Canon, but anything from Olympus or Nikon is just as good. Honestly, pay a little bit more now for a nice camerea from one of those three companies, you get a good sensor, a damn nice lens, and a great overall package.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 11:13 PM

I just bought a new Panasonic Lumix camera.....I dont know how much they are in the states but I love my camera.....
Its only 2 Megapixel but it has 12x optical zoom

mrcorwin
Dec 13, 2003, 06:44 PM

The S400 is the one of the nicest cammeras out there. I've tried many including nikon, sony and olympus. The canon is by far the best camera for the money. I found mine on pricewatch for $386 shipped.

todrain
Senior User
Dec 13, 2003, 10:34 PM

I had a S230 Canon, and it was quite a camera. the S400 is great for snapshots and normal use, but after using a C750 Olympus with the 10x optical zoom, I couldn't go back to a normal 3x. My pictures look much better now that I have more flexability in controling the subject.

For the price, the Kodak DX6490 is a good deal. It's smaller than the Olympus, has a large 2.2" lcd, and cost $50 less than the C750.

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by todrain:
I had a S230 Canon, and it was quite a camera. the S400 is great for snapshots and normal use, but after using a C750 Olympus with the 10x optical zoom, I couldn't go back to a normal 3x. My pictures look much better now that I have more flexability in controling the subject.

For the price, the Kodak DX6490 is a good deal. It's smaller than the Olympus, has a large 2.2" lcd, and cost $50 less than the C750.
Way too much money

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:07 AM

Don't miss the Fuji FinePix S5000.

Can be had for around $300. 3.2 megapixels, whopping 10x optical zoom, AF assist lamp, full manual controls. I *love* my camera. It looks like a tiny SLR and feels great in the hand. AF is on the money, even in dark lighting. Shot-to-shot time is instantaenous. Battery life is great, and it uses AA batteries which are great for in a pinch. The optical viewfinder is electronic so you see a more realistic representation of the final picture. Build quality is stellar. Pictures come out great, movies are impressive, and the advanced shooting modes are amazing. Works great with iPhoto too!

I would have never considered a Fuji in my life before I tried this camera out. It's one of the best purchasing decisions I've made in a long time.

There's even a new fan site dedicated to it:

http://www.majgaj.com/s5000/

Some sample shots from my first day with the camera:
http://homepage.mac.com/maxintosh/camera/camera.html

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2003, 08:32 PM

I know it is not on your list, but let me put a vote in for a Canon Powersot S400 Digital Elph. AWESOME 4MP camera and the stitching function is great. Has everything you could want in a digital camera and takes superb pictures.

JVB_2112
Dec 15, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Another excellent resource is www.dpreview.com

I'm partial to Canons, but I recommend going to a store, looking at the cameras, and finding out which one you like handling the best. Reviews are no good if you don't enjoy using the camera.
I just bought my first Canon digital camera a few months back. Had a Sony DSC-S85 that I replaced with a Canon Digital Rebel. Two very different cameras, but I definitely like what Canon is putting out into the market.

www.dpreview.com is a great site. When I was looking at the Digital Rebel it was the review at dpreview that helped make the decision. dpreview's forums are also great.

JVB
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB RAM
ThinkPad T40 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM
Palm Tungsten | T3
RIM Blackberry 6750
iPod 20 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules