Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > most stable, compatible browser for OS9.2.2

most stable, compatible browser for OS9.2.2
joe
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 10:00 PM

A friend with a stock original Bondi iMac recently asked for browser advice. I haven't used OS9 in a very long time and won't be much help.

IIRC I downloaded the OS9.2.2 update along with Netscape 4.x (or similar) for him a couple years back (I'm on broadband, he's on dialup). He's noticed that more and more sites complain about his browser recently. Is there a recent browser for OS9.2.2 that is more compatible and stable? Also, are there recent browser/OS9 plugins that he needs to add? thanx......joe

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by joe:
A friend with a stock original Bondi iMac recently asked for browser advice. I haven't used OS9 in a very long time and won't be much help.

IIRC I downloaded the OS9.2.2 update along with Netscape 4.x (or similar) for him a couple years back (I'm on broadband, he's on dialup). He's noticed that more and more sites complain about his browser recently. Is there a recent browser for OS9.2.2 that is more compatible and stable? Also, are there recent browser/OS9 plugins that he needs to add? thanx......joe
mozilla all the way. no more freezes, slow systems or unexplained missing megabytes for me.

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by storer:
mozilla all the way. no more freezes, slow systems or unexplained missing megabytes for me.
I searched Mozilla.org and found v1.2.1 for MacOS9. Is this the latest most stable version for OS9? Any OS9/Mozilla plugins needed (maybe shockwave or java)?

Thanx....joe

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 02:53 AM

You can try iCab (www.icab.de) the guy even supports 68K Macs, check his site, once iCab reaches the 3.0 version, it�ll be so far the best option for your friend.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 06:02 AM

1.2.1 is fine. thats what i use.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 30, 2004, 02:49 AM

IE 5 is still a good browser. Netscape 7 also exists, and it's basically the same as Mozilla.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules