Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Watercolor 1.2 ::: The Total Package

Watercolor 1.2 ::: The Total Package
CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 02:48 AM

Watercolor 1.2
--------------

Wow, an entire days worth spent rebuilding my theme to be fully OS X 10.2.3 compatible. It's also been converted to the .dlta format and the download now comes with an Aqua Restore

Enough of that, the big news:
White Menu Extras and White System Clock! For all those who hounded me on this, I guess it was worth it

http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/themes.html

Enjoy
-Carbon
( Last edited by CarbonG4; Dec 22, 2002 at 05:12 PM. )

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the update Carbon. You must be working hard because these updates are coming quickly. Kudos!

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 03:30 AM

hehe, wow that was fast! thanks man thanks for all your hard work!

HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 03:34 AM

Now go get some sleep. Please.
Thank you.
HorseyBoy

krove
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 03:40 AM

Ok, not having ever used Duality before, can someone provide instructions on how to install this .dtla package?

I find it odd that duality comes with no instructions whatsoever (at least none that I could locate).

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 03:48 AM

Krove: if you haven't already, open up the ReadMe provided with Watercolor 1.2 and follow the download link for Duality 4 MS2... then install it (it sounds like you've already done this step).

Now, you need to copy the Watercolor.dlta and Aqua Restore.dlta files into the Themes folder, located here:

Macintosh HD > Library > Themes
(Computer/Library/Themes/)

Now, launch System Preferences... in the bottom row you should see a new icon labled "Desktop Scheme" -- click that and once it loads then click the little pad-lock in the bottom left corner of the window. Type in your admin password and then select Watercolor from the Theme List and click Apply.

Good luck.
-Carbon

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 04:15 AM

You asked for it, you got it. Watercolor dock skins. Now Watercolor is truly complete.

Download them here

Preview (1 of the 6 dock skins ):

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 06:49 AM

Carbon, would you mind sharing your custom, more high-tech looking desktops that are showcased in your screenshots? They seem much more interesting than the included desktop which looks bad on my Powerbook since the lines become squashed together because of the resolution.

thanks!

ambush
Banned
Dec 20, 2002, 08:08 AM

Warning: I've just discovered a bug in TCv12 that makes TC crash while installing WC1.2...
It will be fixed soon, don't worry.

macmike42
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
You asked for it, you got it.
I don't recall anyone asking for it.

That said, this is definitely your nicest dock skin to date! It has inspired me to finally give Skin-a-Dock a try. I had been originally turned off to it based on the serious problems people experienced with the initial release. Can I assume that your enthusiasm for creating dock skins means that most (all) of the serious issues have been resolved?
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 11:37 AM

this is a nice looking theme. too bad all the theme changing programs make me mad.

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
this is a nice looking theme. too bad all the theme changing programs make me mad.
How could Duality 4 make you mad?

Seriously...the thing's just about as easy as Kaleidoscope...

If you can point and click at MacNN, you can certainly point and click in Duality

Hell, I'm so bored on this winter vacation, I'm just pointing and clicking everything anyway...it's fun to press Duality buttons

kovacs
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 11:56 AM

This theme looks great, i love the tabs and the buttons, but I really don't like what you have done with the brushed metal, too much blue for me. Love the theme but I think I will wait for the graphite version

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:

How could Duality 4 make you mad?
i havent tried the newest one, but the version i did try didnt do things terribly consistently. certain elements wouldnt load, etc, even after multiple restarts.

themechanger worked TOO well. it got all of the theme there in place, even the parts of it i DIDNT want it to change (the icon set of the theme i was using).

neither of those programs hold a candle to how well kaleidoscope worked. all in due time i think it will work.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
This theme looks great, i love the tabs and the buttons, but I really don't like what you have done with the brushed metal, too much blue for me. Love the theme but I think I will wait for the graphite version
I agree about the brushed apps. Since the apps in question are the ones using Jaguar's new brushed implementation, I recommend installing Metallifizer by Unsanity and demetallifizing the apps you want. That way, they look just like all the other Watercolor windows.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by macmike42:
I don't recall anyone asking for it.

That said, this is definitely your nicest dock skin to date! It has inspired me to finally give Skin-a-Dock a try. I had been originally turned off to it based on the serious problems people experienced with the initial release. Can I assume that your enthusiasm for creating dock skins means that most (all) of the serious issues have been resolved?
Well, they did resolve most of the major problems when they released beta 2. As to why I create so many dock skins...its only because its easy and faster to do than creating a theme. And it was asked for in the one of the other Watercolor threads.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 04:37 PM

Pardon my ignorance. What is the dock app at the right of the screenshot?

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 05:04 PM

MaxPower
Pardon my ignorance. What is the dock app at the right of the screenshot?
DragThing & the MIP-hack

-carbon

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 05:18 PM

Please Please Please... Where are these desktops coming from? There were two of them: the one in the new screenshot "blue element," and the one with blue and orange from the early sneek peak pics.

thanks alot

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 06:21 PM

SwarmyCurve: well I can't find the link to BlueElement anymore... the site appears to be down at the moment, but here is the URL that was embedded into BlueElement:

http://deusdesigns.cjb.net/

The rest of my wallpapers are from http://www.deskmod.com which is an excellent resource.

Enjoy
-Carbon

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 07:26 PM

Seems to be a typo in Watercolor's main.themescript... You have "AirPort5" in place of "AirPort" on line 85 (AirPort_4.tif).

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 07:44 PM

I want to get on with my attempt at the silver version.
I have VPC XP with the windows version installed, and I think the best way to get the colours right would be to rip them from the windows theme and open both lots in Photoshop.

I have visited the Neowin boards an you need an app called StyleBuilder from TGTSoft but there trial download is busted.
does anyone know anybody who does XP Themes, who has the trial installer, and could do a mirror.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 07:58 PM

Smack me if I'm being stupid, but Watercolor doesn't come with an icon makeover? Lame!

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
Smack me if I'm being stupid, but Watercolor doesn't come with an icon makeover? Lame!
shut the f*** up, if you want an icon-set, make one.
what about showing some more respect for the hard work?

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 08:21 PM

ugh, i hate themes coming with icons.. at least before i started using themechanger..

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 08:51 PM

Themes with integrated icons = Bad
Themes with separate .iconset files = Good

Everybody moaned at Apple for lack of choice, now some themers are taking the same road.

The windows version never had an icon set (The XP dev release it was 'inspired' by used a sort of mix of luna (XP now) icons and old Win Me icons.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 10:57 PM

actually, im rather happy it DOESNT come with built in icons. i think themers should release the icons seperately as "candybar" compatible sets.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
I have VPC XP with the windows version installed, and I think the best way to get the colours right would be to rip them from the windows theme and open both lots in Photoshop.

I have visited the Neowin boards an you need an app called StyleBuilder from TGTSoft but there trial download is busted.
does anyone know anybody who does XP Themes, who has the trial installer, and could do a mirror.
You can open the Watercolor theme on your mac like if it were a folder and inside you'll find all the resources

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
Enough of that, the big news:
White Menu Extras and White System Clock! For all those who hounded me on this, I guess it was worth it

You do know that DSX had white clock and menu extras a year ago right! Of course it's a black theme so it kinda HAD to have them!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2002, 02:21 AM

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 02:24 AM

mrtew
You do know that DSX had white clock and menu extras a year ago right! Of course it's a black theme so it kinda HAD to have them!
well aware... and considering i just started themeing altogether two weeks ago i think i get it implemented rather quickly.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by p.h..i...l....:

shut the f*** up, if you want an icon-set, make one.
what about showing some more respect for the hard work?
Wow, aren't you a mature dude.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2002, 08:58 AM

Wow, aren't you a mature dude.
Well, bitchy posts will get bitchy replies.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 01:52 PM

You can open the Watercolor theme on your mac like if it were a folder and inside you'll find all the resources
This doesn't work (I think it only works with WindowBlinds Themes Watercolour is a standard XP type theme). There is a file called 'Watercolor Silver.theme' (installed in Windows/Resources/Themes) and it is a file. If you right click on it it does not say 'show package contents' like a OSX theme file (a good reason to abandon .theme and use .dlta for OSX themeing) and double clicking just leads to iDVD launching (another app that uses the .theme format). The .msstyles file is the same.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2002, 01:57 PM

well the .theme file is not what you want. you want the .msstyle file. the .theme file is crap. but i dont see how you could open the msstyle on OSX. what is it you need? i'll get it for you, if someone else doesnt do it frist.

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 21, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:

Its not like he was touting himself as a pioneer and being the first to do it. Good grief...

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 02:23 PM

Wouldnt the best way of doing this be to contact the creator of the windows theme and ask for the sources, which he has so generously offered a few times here? But that would be too easy I suppose.

Chris

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Well, bitchy posts will get bitchy replies.
My post was out of sarcasm and shock. I wasn't being bitchy.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 02:27 PM

oh and as a side note, to "force" people to start asking me for the sources, I am going to deliberatly break my theme in the next version so it wont open in stylebuilder.

Chris

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
oh and as a side note, to "force" people to start asking me for the sources, I am going to deliberatly break my theme in the next version so it wont open in stylebuilder.

Chris
so you are the 'Binary' guy on NeoWin (the 'request's for Watercolor plus' thread is where I first found Watercolor for my work PC, it's the only theme I stuck with for more than 5 mins, the standard Luna didn't last as long as this).
This is an official request for the source for the Silver. I want to get the colour spot on right, not do a 'that looks about right' by altering the hue & saturation on the Blue/Ergonomic Theme in Photoshop and comparing it to the thousands of colours version in VPC.

I am on cable so gigantic pic files don't bother me, my e-mail is in my profile.

P.S. I have just discovered why I can never find any info on the XP theme in Google. Being British I spell Watercolour with a 'U' and automatically type this into Google While the theme's name is the US spelling (Watercolor, no 'U'). DOH!

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2002, 05:09 PM

I finished the Olive variant about an hour ago, but I'm having a hell of a time getting Duality to recognize my .dlta package. When I get it working, I'll send it to Carbon and hopefully it'll be released tonight.
Dooby, dooby doo.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 06:54 PM

so you are the 'Binary' guy on NeoWin (the 'request's for Watercolor plus' thread is where I first found Watercolor for my work PC, it's the only theme I stuck with for more than 5 mins, the standard Luna didn't last as long as this).
This is an official request for the source for the Silver. I want to get the colour spot on right, not do a 'that looks about right' by altering the hue & saturation on the Blue/Ergonomic Theme in Photoshop and comparing it to the thousands of colours version in VPC.

I am on cable so gigantic pic files don't bother me, my e-mail is in my profile.

P.S. I have just discovered why I can never find any info on the XP theme in Google. Being British I spell Watercolour with a 'U' and automatically type this into Google While the theme's name is the US spelling (Watercolor, no 'U'). DOH!
I'm Canadian so I would usually spell it watercolour too, but MS named it so I stuck with the non "u" version of the name Plus I'm too americanized

add me to your msn list and I can send them that way, it's probably the easiest. If you have msn that is.

my email addy is: kmkkid at hotmail.com

Chris

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:

I'm Canadian so I would usually spell it watercolour too, but MS named it so I stuck with the non "u" version of the name Plus I'm too americanized

add me to your msn list and I can send them that way, it's probably the easiest. If you have msn that is.

Chris
United Staters. always cutting corners

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 21, 2002, 07:53 PM

United Staters
LOL, sweet term Dace,you crack me up .

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by swiz:

LOL, sweet term Dace,you crack me up .
Thats what I'm here for

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
SwarmyCurve: well I can't find the link to BlueElement anymore... the site appears to be down at the moment, but here is the URL that was embedded into BlueElement:
What do you mean you can't find the link for it anymore? I'm right here. If anyone wants the Blue Element picture then just contact me and I'll send it to you.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

ubba
Dec 22, 2002, 03:31 AM

I like these two pictures obviously w/o XP logo http://yoman2000.amjnet.de/content/wallpaper.htm
Have a sunny day!
jo

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2002, 03:44 AM

Trekkie
What do you mean you can't find the link for it anymore?
Exactly what I mean, there was a URL provided in BlueElement, but the site was down when I posted the reply. I just checked it again and it's back up. The URL in BlueElement is http://deusdesigns.cjb.net/ where you can find Teemu Hakala's work. He has a lot of extremely nice work on his site, but BlueElement isn't on there it appears. I was simply encouraging people to check out his work and get BlueElement from there because the work isn't mine and I won't bundle it with my theme.
But, as Trekkie said, since he did send it to me originally people who want the wallpaper can contact him for it because it doesn't appear to be in Teemu Hakala's online portfolio anymore.

-Carbon

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by ubba:
I like these two pictures obviously w/o XP logo http://yoman2000.amjnet.de/content/wallpaper.htm
Have a sunny day!
jo
ohhh my god, stoiber wallpapers? this must be a joke

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 12:23 PM

I love watercolor, its my current theme with a personal edit (diff. resolution / no moon) of this desktop from deskmod.
It looks great - Although I would have the mac style of widgets as the aqua variation and not graphite, but thats nit picking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules