Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme: FatalE port

Theme: FatalE port
CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2003, 10:09 PM

Well I caved in and decided not to wait for the much-anticipated update to themepark and go ahead and start in on my next project. I got permission to do the official OS X port of the FatalE theme originally designed by KoL. Unlike my Watercolor port, this is going to be as true of a port as I can make it, with only minor cosmetic changes and adaptations along the way. KoL has sent me the original resource files (bitmap's and png's) to help out ... man do they have it easy. This particular theme consists of 167 resource files, which is incredibly small in comparison to the numerous files that need to be modified for an OS X theme, as well as the never ending duplicate pxm's ... so I'm working with what I have received and plan on making the rest of the theme integrate well with the final design.

The Preview:
http://mypage.siu.edu/bmuhlach/projects.html

[Preparing for flame]

1) "but it's just another Windows theme port"
-- yeah, but it's a kick *** theme

2) "but it's just another grayscale theme"
-- true, but it works well and it's very sleek looking IMO.

3) "what's with the stupid apple menu icon"
-- it's based on the Start Button in the original theme and I like it a lot so back off

4) "this looks like ChosenOS"
-- it's not, both themes are very unique and it will become more apparent once this theme is finished (or you could just compare the original FatalE and ChosenOS themes for Windows).

With that said, I really don't expect this theme to be all that well received because it is just another grayscale theme but I'm still gonna pursue it and hopefully I can finish it without pulling all of my hair out. I really love this design, and I think it's worth the time and effort that goes into making a theme.

ps - alternate widgets are planned for graphite.

::carbon::

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2003, 10:23 PM

Nice, Your treatening Watercolor on my computer, Will be a though decition

I don't care where it came from (as long as its not one of those hideous winblows themes )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2003, 10:53 PM

Nice! I think it's better than ChosenOS's 100% black line (this one doesn't look good with shadow and eye candies in OS X)

I think it's perfect except the toolbar button which seem odd in some way. Maybe flip it vertically and then cut the right window corner diagonally to match the toolbar button (parallel)? If you like to keep the corner then just ignore my suggestion

I'd love to try it out when it's ready

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Nice! I think it's better than ChosenOS's 100% black line (this one doesn't look good with shadow and eye candies in OS X)

I think it's perfect except the toolbar button which seem odd in some way. Maybe flip it vertically and then cut the right window corner diagonally to match the toolbar button (parallel)? If you like to keep the corner then just ignore my suggestion

I'd love to try it out when it's ready
I agree, and the apple menu looks funky as well. Otherwise, quite nice.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 11:45 PM

KEEN!

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 11:55 PM

Wow, this was a pretty good design on XP but it looks even better on OS X. Much better than ChosenOS in my opinion.

milhouse
Senior User
Jan 1, 2003, 11:56 PM

wow! Pretty nice.
"-Dodge This"

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 2, 2003, 12:08 AM

Tight. I like the Apple menu icon. Although all those lines visible with the inactive scroll elements looks way busier than anything else in the theme, maybe just remove theme and leave it smooth looking inactive.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 01:11 AM

Looks good, but I agree with Swiz on the inactive windows. I'll try it out once it's done. You gonna port the icons too? If you need help, let me know.

And to people that don't like grayscale themes...I say too bad. There's always room for more in my book. I totally dig themes in grayscale or with muted colors.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2003, 01:52 AM

Wagmedia, that would be great if you could do the icons for this theme eventually. It's still a ways off so there's not rush, but if you're still interested I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
-Carbon

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 02:13 AM

I really liked this theme on Windows, un/fortunatly I had to stick with the one I was developing, but I dont really regret it

This theme suits OS X' futuristicness though.

Chris

J_Anderton
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 02:44 AM

Ooooooh...Very nice Carbon. Very nice indeed.

1. It does indeed look very cool and sleek.
2. The apple menu looks great. I'm tired of the boring Apple logo. I like this one. Very...Cool.
3. This theme looks very kick ass.

Everybody Runs

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 02:49 AM

I'd like to see it in some dull, flat colors. If you're interested, I'll gladly work on a variation or two. Drop me a line.
Dooby, dooby doo.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 03:45 AM

I've never seen this theme before, but from your alpha snapshot i think it's great. I'll be checking your progress on this one.

I have just one suggestion so far: i think the toolbar button would look better if it was a full rectangle, rather that that diagonal right end.

Keep up the good work Carbon!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
...I really don't expect this theme to be all that well received because it is just another grayscale theme but I'm still gonna pursue it and hopefully I can finish it without pulling all of my hair out. I really love this design, and I think it's worth the time and effort that goes into making a theme.
Carbon: I'm glad you like something enough to "port" it from the PC folks. This is what I have been wondering. There are some really talented folks designing GUI themes on the PC side and they seem to port OSX themes quite well. Why not do the same (if you like & get permission) port themes from them? I say go for it. The guy seems skilled and I have no doubt that you're gonna make a sweet, kick-a$$ theme out of it.

Now if only someone would make some nice cursors to go along with these nice themes.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 2, 2003, 08:00 AM

Wow, looking really good!
I like the dark area with sharp edges in the window titlebars.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 08:35 AM

Looks very good... but euhm.. I kinda miss the apple logo Maybe a graphite version with the normal apple logo if that's possible ?

Keep up the good work, I really like your watercolor theme

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 10:22 AM

or an abstracted geometric version of the Apple logo...:-)

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2003, 10:37 AM

I'd totally do the icons for this theme whenever it's ready to be done. Just let me know when you're getting close so I can get that project into my work queue.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it has been good. I don't necessarily agree with it all of the time but in this case I still have options, as I can do the alternative elements for those who select 'graphite' in system preferences. Right now the plan is to add in a more traditional Apple Menu and a rectangular Toolbar widget in graphite. I still have to look into the toolbar widget -- I know you can change it between the blue/graphite setting but I don't know if the new "Metal Widgets Set" that they added for 10.2.3 has both blue and graphite toolbar widgets. I simply need to get around to updating to 10.2.3 sometime...

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Carbon: I'm glad you like something enough to "port" it from the PC folks. This is what I have been wondering. There are some really talented folks designing GUI themes on the PC side and they seem to port OSX themes quite well. Why not do the same (if you like & get permission) port themes from them? I say go for it. The guy seems skilled and I have no doubt that you're gonna make a sweet, kick-a$$ theme out of it.

Now if only someone would make some nice cursors to go along with these nice themes.

I was thinking that too, why OSX folks didnt start to port themes from XP??? I think they are some think that will look good on OSX. Dazzla ported some themes when he has a MAC and they look really nice.

The theme is looking really nice Carbon, great job
( Last edited by KoL; Jan 2, 2003 at 10:56 AM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 02:28 PM

Hay not bad.
click one

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by headbirth:
or an abstracted geometric version of the Apple logo...:-)
That's a good idea. I like to see an apple logo myself.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 01:25 AM

just an update, all progress is gonna have to stop til monday at the earliest. just had surgery today and i'm on three different drugs and feel like absolute crap.

-carbon

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
That's a good idea. I like to see an apple logo myself.
Since it's grey scale, what about the simple grey logo apple now uses on boot ups?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 10:50 AM

alpha 2 isn't exactly what i wanted it to be yet (you can see the minor list of changes in the new screenshot) but i've put a picture up because i want feedback on the brushed-metal apps (ichat). do you guys like that shade of grey or is it off (i still would like a solid color, just not sure if it needs to be lighter/darker/whatever)? suggestions welcomed, i'm trying to work on it still on and off but there prolly won't be a lot of progress until next week. also, the widgets shown in ichat are just the 10.2.2 standard widgets, still don't have to 10.2.3 to see what the new ones look like once themed (they're no themed yet anyway, i could do a different style of widgets for metal apps if people have any good suggestions).

alpha 2 screenshot (need feedback, other than apple menu and toolbar widget... those are already planned)

thanks for any feedback on the metal crap

-carbon

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2003, 11:47 AM

I think the gray color is right on the iChat app.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by wagmedia:
I think the gray color is right on the iChat app.
Yep the color is good, it's still looks like an iApp with this grey color...

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 01:37 PM

Looking good!

Reminds me of the Rhodium theme, originally by dazzla.

keep on truckin' brother!

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

milhouse
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 03:08 AM

Still looks awesome.
"-Dodge This"

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2003, 01:21 PM

you know there is a black version of this theme that i think looks alot better, have you seen it carbon?

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2003, 10:17 PM

originally posted by Kujo:
you know there is a black version of this theme that i think looks alot better, have you seen it carbon?
nope, i've not seen the black version... is it an official one (by KoL)? even if i'd known about a black version i doubt i would have opted to do it, i simply don't think black themes are a good idea in OS X because of the stupid Cocoa API issues... that and black themes clash horribly with almost all applications with toolbar icons, etc.

i guess it's all a matter of personal opinion though. maybe post a screenshot if you have one though, i'd still be interested in seeing it.

-carbon

---------------------------------------

i have a lot of stuff to get to before any more updates, little backed up on email too so if you've emailed me sorry for the slowness.

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 11:15 PM

yeah Carbon I made a 6 diferent color version in the first version of FatalE, but I only keep the grey version on the second

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2003, 05:36 PM

Wow, I just saw the black version (thanks for the screenshot Kujo)... and that's not at all what I imagined when you brought it up. I assumed the entire titlebar would be black, etc -- leading to the problems most everyone knows about with OS X, but that's not the case. It looks quite nice.

KoL, what other color variations have you done for FatalE? I still really like the grey version of this theme, but after seeing how you've done the color variations, I think they would all look very nice in OS X.

I'm definitely going to finish the current grey version as it looks best on my Titanium
But, having permission from KoL first, I would consider doing one of the more popular color variations of the other 5 from the original theme. Right now I've only seen the grey and black versions and they both look great, if anyone could post a screenshot w/ maybe just the titlebar from each variant that would be interesting to see. However, a color variation is not a high priority for me after I finish FatalE (grey), there are other projects currently planned first. But when the time comes if there is enough demand for a color variant I will gladly pump one out with permission.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2003, 10:08 PM

I've been waiting for the ChosenOS theme but wow, now i'm really looking forward to this theme. i would like to see a black and other color variations of the theme as well.

can someone post a screen shot?

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2003, 11:41 PM

I think that the brushed metal in iChat would look much better if the corners of the windows were not rounded and if they used the same enlarge grabber thingy in the corner (don't know what else to call it) as the normal windows do

/Edit: here is a mockup of my idea
( Last edited by schep; Jan 5, 2003 at 11:57 PM. )

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2003, 12:48 AM

Carbon heres a screenshot of all 6 variation, I made them by request. I was going to do only the grey one but people on neowin wanted more colors

I like only like the grey version, and the black and blue version looks ok i dont like the other 3

sorry for my english guys, I speak spanish

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2003, 01:06 AM

KoL, wow, I really like the black and the blue variants. Grey is still my favorite as well though. Thanks for posting the pictures.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 01:33 AM

KoL, wow, I really like the black and the blue variants. Grey is still my favorite as well though. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Me too, i like the gray one the most, followed by the black and the blue. The other colors doesn't look good.

I really like this theme, but i think it'd look much better without all those diagonal cuts in all widgets. It would be great if you could make a fully rectangular variation.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2003, 03:58 AM

orange!!!!!!! orange!!!!!!

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 05:05 AM

Stunning.

Unfortunately, I'm not a themes person. I prefer Aqua.

Some ideas: maybe variations? Ruby, Sage, and Indigo. I loved those iMac colours .
In vino veritas.

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2003, 10:24 AM

no problem Carbon

mail me if you want to make the black and blue version

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 02:10 AM

i'm back... and as promised i started working on FatalE today, the alpha 3 screenshot is posted:

not a huge update, but i did manage to get both the large and small tab sets done and i think they look great, about as close to the originals as i can make 'em. you can see the about box tiff in this shot as well. btw, i'd like some feedback on the mac widgets and if they're even necessary. if enough people want them i'll stick them in the graphite option, along with a more traditional apple logo and a rectangular toolbar widget as requested by a couple of you guys earlier. does this sound pretty good with everyone?

HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2003, 03:20 AM

Hey Carbon,
Looks great, but I'm not sure you that need the Mac widgets (as per Alpha 3). I'd prefer the standard widgets across both Aqua and Graphite. I suspect you already know this.
HorseyBoy

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 7, 2003, 04:27 AM

Thats looking tight Carbon. Nice design KoL.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 05:42 AM

edit: deleted post, i'm gonna sleep on that last issue before opening it up for debate...
( Last edited by CarbonG4; Jan 7, 2003 at 05:48 AM. )

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 05:54 AM

i'm back... and as promised i started working on FatalE today, the alpha 3 screenshot is posted:

not a huge update, but i did manage to get both the large and small tab sets done and i think they look great, about as close to the originals as i can make 'em. you can see the about box tiff in this shot as well. btw, i'd like some feedback on the mac widgets and if they're even necessary. if enough people want them i'll stick them in the graphite option, along with a more traditional apple logo and a rectangular toolbar widget as requested by a couple of you guys earlier. does this sound pretty good with everyone?

Sounds great !! I prefer the standard widgets, the mac widgets look out of place in this theme...

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 10:26 AM

i prefer the current widgets too, it looks fine.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 12:16 PM

wow thats a rather nice piece of customization. Prolly one of the only nice themes around for windows (dimsum/hanzatsu are the only others i like really) hmm mac window widgets need a bit of tweaking though

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by KoL:
Carbon heres a screenshot of all 6 variation, I made them by request. I was going to do only the grey one but people on neowin wanted more colors

I like only like the grey version, and the black and blue version looks ok i dont like the other 3

sorry for my english guys, I speak spanish

OH! I LOVE ALL OF THEM! I really really really wish Carbon would port them all! I can't pick a favorite! But the black one looks nice as do the four colors. Oh I wish I had those!

Forum Links
Forum Rules