Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Still only 1 Button on the Trackpad!

Still only 1 Button on the Trackpad!
exocomp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 09:13 PM

I love Apple, and I think Steve Jobs has amazing vision, but what is the deal with the one button on the trackpad?! I love the powerbook (I bought a 17" Aluminum in November upgrading my aging 15" titanium). However, contextual menus are so integrated into the OS, that you would think that Steve would stop overlooking the one prominent user interface element that's more convenient on Windows machines than on Mac machines...accessing the contextual menu.

I was sure that in reinventing the Powerbook he would correct this long standing annoyance/inconvenience, but looking at the pictures, it appears that it's still a one button machine. I hope I'm wrong, but the documentation doesn't mention a second button.

A friend bought a new iMac in December and I believe it came with a Mighty Mouse. However, by default it is configured to treat the right button the same as the left button (as a left click). My friend didn't even know that he had a multi-button mouse because the contextual menu access is OFF BY DEFAULT!

Steve what's with the blind-spot?!

JoeF
Define the universe. Give three examples.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2006, 09:53 PM

Since they used the 17" trackpad for the new 15", I can see the trackpad looking like one button, but separate clicks on either side of the button. Have it default to a sing click like the normal mouse.

Oh, and how about instead of a trackpad put that little scroll ball there instead. I don't care for trackpads and I really missed the trackball from the old PowerBook 100.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 10:39 PM

I agree. Trackballs were a lot easier to use.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 10:51 PM

Apple just needs to make a sensitive trackpad button, where it knows if you're clicking the left side or right side. By default it would be the left button no matter what, but you have the option to enable right button usage (a la mighty mouse).
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Thraxes
Jan 12, 2006, 10:52 PM

tell that to my mother... she absolutely can not grasp the motorics to correctly use a trackball but a trackpad is OK with her.

Besides, there is always sidetrack (although not available yet in Intel flavour - another reason to wait a while before buying a macbook)
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

Thread Lockinated.

(If history repeats itself...)
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

JeffsJeep04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 12:26 AM

I don't know about the newer built in scrolling track pads, but I have a 1.25 15" PB running iScroll2, and there is an option where two fingers + a trackpad click results in contextual menu's. Works perfect, and is a very apple-like solution. Check the system pref's, I had to check a box to get it. As nice as it is, I still find myself going for the control button sometimes out of habit...real problem when using a PC lappy

One last thought on it...I like having a full width main button, I find myself using both sides depending on what I'm doing (especially when doing video and photo editing) for single clicking, so a spatially sensitive button would be an annoyance as well.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2006, 12:49 AM

sidetrack is perfect solution to all this complaining, and apparently iscroll2 has another option, both fix apple's oversight.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 11:19 PM

Has anyone realized that one button on the trackpad will pose a problem for those who want to dualboot other operating systems? Windows and Linux don't support Ctrl Clicks.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by JeffsJeep04
I don't know about the newer built in scrolling track pads, but I have a 1.25 15" PB running iScroll2, and there is an option where two fingers + a trackpad click results in contextual menu's. Works perfect, and is a very apple-like solution. Check the system pref's, I had to check a box to get it. As nice as it is, I still find myself going for the control button sometimes out of habit...real problem when using a PC lappy

One last thought on it...I like having a full width main button, I find myself using both sides depending on what I'm doing (especially when doing video and photo editing) for single clicking, so a spatially sensitive button would be an annoyance as well.
Not if they make the default "spatially sensitive" buttons both do the same thing. Having to few buttons is a problem for some. Having too many buttons that can both be mapped to do the same thing isn't...

Personally I just use sidetrack... works for me when I'm on the go... I have a logitech mouse for when I'm at my desk... still I'd like to see some sort of solution from apple.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 12:49 PM

The day they put 2 buttons on the powerbook is the day I stop using them. I LOVE being able to just slap my thumb down on the button without looking where I'm clicking. If you rely on right clicks that much that you can't use the apple key or 2 finger click, then you should probably be using Windows.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 07:03 PM

What an ignorant statement. Just becuase you have a familiarity with a reduced functionality, doesn't mean that we should all suffer.

Just turn it off.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2006, 07:11 PM

i like the one button mouse
its not to much effort to hold down ctrl
you can always buy a mouse

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 22, 2006, 07:19 PM

Still only 1 Button on the Trackpad!
Thank the gawds. I hate two-button trackpads.

Has anyone realized that one button on the trackpad will pose a problem for those who want to dualboot other operating systems? Windows and Linux don't support Ctrl Clicks.
Well, it's a Mac after all, and Windows isn't supported anyways. But if you really want, you can buy yourself a mouse.

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
i like the one button mouse
its not to much effort to hold down ctrl
you can always buy a mouse

What is with all of these people? Everyone is making excuses for Apple because they are not including the functionality that they should be. I shouldn't have to buy a mouse. That defeats the entire purpose of using a notebook.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by venom600
What is with all of these people? Everyone is making excuses for Apple because they are not including the functionality that they should be. I shouldn't have to buy a mouse. That defeats the entire purpose of using a notebook.
you dont have to buy a mouse.
people have suggested aplications that allow new ways to right click.
i cant think of any none gaming program which you need to use two mouse buttons and cant hit the ctrl key.
And you cant realy play many games with a trackpad anyway.
one button is just as effecitive.
its not reduced functionality.
unless you count the pc's as having reduced functionality because they dont have a third button for whenever you cant be bothered to hit the enter key.
im not making excuses for apple i honestly think they have done the right thing to stick to one button.
they are meant to be the alternative to windows afterall.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 04:11 AM

yah,

They've done the right thing if they want to stay in the stone age. How long did it take them to add scrolling to the trackpad?

The 2nd button is an extension of that - there are ways to make it zone aware. Even if it is a split button, what the hell, don't use the other one.

Above poster is right, it's a NOTEBOOK, and for any sort of professional not having a second mouse sucks.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 05:07 AM

There have been studies that "right clicking" is actually very difficult for new users to understand (new to computers not new to OSX). Now there is an arguement that the pro notebooks aren't designed for that demographic. But with OSX, you really don't need the right click all that often. On my PC I use it quite a bit, but in OSX I rarely do. There are so many 3rd party solutions available that complaining that its "not built in" seems rather unnecessary.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006, 05:34 AM

I'm hoping that a "mighty mouse" style trackpad is going to be implemented soon. That way by default people will still have their one mouse button, but those of us wanting a right click option would have it too on the actual button part of the trackpad.

Apple no longer ships a one button mouse on their desktops, nor sells a wired one button mouse. I think their laptops should follow suit now.
<This space under renovation>

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 05:46 AM

The biggest reason why there will never be a 2 button trackpad on a Mac is because they suck.

OK - the real reason, is becuase, unlike a mouse, your finger or thumb is only millimetres from the ctrl or command button when using a trackpad. It's not a big deal to ctrl-click - in fact, it's probably easier than trying to hit a separate 'right click' button.

I hate multibutton trackpads - they are so, so dumb. What about left handed users ? Lots of trackpads have asymmetrical button sizes, which preference right-handed users. What about disabled users ?

Just because Windows PCs do something a certain way is not a reason to follow suit. You don't think PC manufacturers actually design their machines do you ? Half of the art of design is knowing what to leave out. Apple is a master of this.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 23, 2006, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't mind a Mighty Mouse type of "two-button" trackpad. I would just turn off the second "button". However, I would hate it if there were actually two separate physical buttons.

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 02:54 AM

Gee4orce, you aren't seriously suggesting that having to hit two buttons to get the same effect as hitting one button is easier are you? What type of logic did you use to come to that conclusion? Your entire argument is that you think two buttons are "dumb". You state that because some trackpads have asymmetrical buttons, all with multiple buttons are "dumb". Who is to say that Apple would do that? Have they ever, ever shown any inclination favor left over right handed users?

You are right, just because Windows do something is not a reason to follow suit (actually it is a reason, just not a very good one). But by the same token, just because a few users are attached to decreased functionality doesn't mean that everyone should suffer. My point is that if you really like one button, fine. However, don't try to justify your choice by making baseless claims.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 12:01 PM

Do you know how many arguments I've gotten into with ignorant PC users over the old "But the Mac only has one mouse button" rant? It drives me up a wall, and they can never come up with a better excuse nor can they present facts to thoroughly explain why they believe the Mac is inferior. UGH! Sorry, this thread gave me a good chuckle!
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 02:02 PM

There is a GREAT solution to this and that is the technology developed by fingerworks. The company was bought up and no longer manufactures any products, but there have been rumors that Apple was the buyer.

Basically, it allows the use of finger gestures for all common everyday computer commands and it is also programable. This completely eliminates the needs for buttons and is also very comfortable to use since one uses different fingers in different gestures. My favorite is moving the cursor with all five fingers which allows for truly relaxed cursor manipulation. Cut, for instance is the index finger and thumb coming together, while paste uses the same fingers moving apart. Truly wonderful technology and so superior to any button. Hope Apple uses it in the future.

Check out some of the gestures here:

http://www.fingerworks.com/gesture_keymap.html

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by pete
There is a GREAT solution to this and that is the technology developed by fingerworks. The company was bought up and no longer manufactures any products, but there have been rumors that Apple was the buyer.

Basically, it allows the use of finger gestures for all common everyday computer commands and it is also programable. This completely eliminates the needs for buttons and is also very comfortable to use since one uses different fingers in different gestures. My favorite is moving the cursor with all five fingers which allows for truly relaxed cursor manipulation. Cut, for instance is the index finger and thumb coming together, while paste uses the same fingers moving apart. Truly wonderful technology and so superior to any button. Hope Apple uses it in the future.

Check out some of the gestures here:

http://www.fingerworks.com/gesture_keymap.html
i dont think id like that
way to complicated
still if your used to it it would be a realy cool shortcut
keyboard shortcuts on apple works so well i dont think you need to much extras

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 02:51 PM

you know, it seems complicated but within a few hours of using it, it becomes completely second nature. Your fingers dance across the pad swiftly and you're able to control the computer with quite amazing precision and speed. NOT at all complicated and actually very intuitive - like closing a window the way you'd close a jar: four fingers twisting clockwise while opening is the opposite. Pretty cool.

Maybe it is too complicated for the average user. On the other hand, if you don't want to use it, that's fine too and for those who want to, it's easy. So: leave the one button and add gestures like this. That's my suggestion.

toneloco28
Jan 25, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by iPond317
Do you know how many arguments I've gotten into with ignorant PC users over the old "But the Mac only has one mouse button" rant? It drives me up a wall, and they can never come up with a better excuse nor can they present facts to thoroughly explain why they believe the Mac is inferior. UGH! Sorry, this thread gave me a good chuckle!
I know several PC users who won't purchase a Mac by virtue of it having only mouse button. Some people have the perception that Macs are toy computers, that are relegated to creative task, but can't get serious work done. I don't understand how some say that OS X doesn't really need a right click, yet on a pc it becomes necessary. I find that OS X necessitates the use of a right click in my workflow, just as much as on a pc.

I've also heard some say the one button is in place to spur developers to create their apps accordingly. That seems like a explanation made up by some, that never really existed. If someone can show me someone from Apple on record, stating this very thing, then I'll stand corrected, but until then it sounds like a pile of rubbish. The bottom line is that it's 2006, and the use of a one button mouse is retarted. I'm sure Apple can come up with something innovative and fresh, but their refusal to do so is plain backwards imho. In spite of all this, I have a MacBook Pro on order for which I cannot keep checking the order status page!

Forum Links
Forum Rules