Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook shutting off when moved. Hard to start up again

MacBook shutting off when moved. Hard to start up again
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 08:47 AM

Hi folks,
I had a quick scan through the forums for similar problems but didn't find anything. And it is not the same as the random shutdown issue.
When picked up/moved, the Macbook (1stgen 1.83ghz btw) appears to shut down. Well, it certainly seems to go completely lifeless, but if I put my ear to it, I can still hear the fan whirring a bit yet the screen is black. No amount of button pushing will bring it back to life. Unless I hold down the powerbutton which forces it to shut down properly.
Pressing the powerbutton again, it will usually try to start back up, but more often than not, not a lot happens. The power light comes on, the screen will flash as if its about to boot, but then nothing, it stays black. I can try this several times, and eventually it boots and runs fine.

The macbook is fully up to date software wise, including all firmware updates. And it only started to do this in the past couple of days, but then it generally doesn't get moved around much either.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:09 AM

My first thought is that your logic board is going bad. When the board in my iBook went bad it only worked when I titled the computer at a certain angle.

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2006, 03:15 PM

Hmm, thanks.. Seems this isn't a particularly known issue then for macbooks.
New logic board would be a pain....

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Hmm, thanks.. Seems this isn't a particularly known issue then for macbooks.
New logic board would be a pain....
Is there an Apple Store near you? It's not a pain under warranty. I'm having my logic board replaced as we speak.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2006, 04:45 AM

I'm with Ben. It definitely sounds like your logic board. I'd still reset the PMU though.

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
Press the Power button to restart the computer.

EDIT: Pardon me, I guess it's called an SMC now.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks, i'll give that a go shortly..
I have to agree though, to me its showing symptoms of a hardware fault It doesn't do it when moved so much, more when picked up, which inevitably squeezes the case slightly. It happens almost every time now when picked up from the left side.
Of course I could prevent it by not picking it up from the left side But that isn't the point of course. It shouldn't cut out like that.
Anyway, i'll let you know how I get on..

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2006, 02:27 PM

Left side only, huh? That sounds more like a loose connection...
 Certified AppleCare Technician

rajat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 09:15 PM

Hey,
I am having the same issue (and in the middle of writing my dissertation...). Please let me know if you resolved your issue and give me some ideas. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Raj.

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Thanks, i'll give that a go shortly..
I have to agree though, to me its showing symptoms of a hardware fault It doesn't do it when moved so much, more when picked up, which inevitably squeezes the case slightly. It happens almost every time now when picked up from the left side.
Of course I could prevent it by not picking it up from the left side But that isn't the point of course. It shouldn't cut out like that.
Anyway, i'll let you know how I get on..

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 09:09 AM

When I moved my macbook a few times yesterday it shut off. It was so annoying. My suggestion is to quickly backup your data with a USB Jump Drvie, External Hard Drive or check out xdrive.com

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 11:29 AM

Aha.. so it isn't just mine that is doing this after all.

Unfortunately, the issue isn't resolved for me yet. I'll get Apple to look at it after Christmas.

It doesn't get moved much, so therefor it doesn't cut out much either. Making it a non essential problem. But still one that definitely needs to be sorted out for sure, as this is not good enough from Apple.

micklb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 04:38 PM

You have a bad accelerometer.

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by micklb View Post
You have a bad accelerometer.
I take it you mean the sensor thing that takes the heads off the HD when moved to prevent damage and protect data?

If so, I did wonder about this. But its not supposed to semi shut off the mac is it? Particularly as I mentioned above, it doesn't do it when moved so much, but it appears to be more when the left side is squeezed, which you inevitably do to pick it up. I need to check that more though, as I don't have that mac with me at the moment.
Could that still be the problem you think? Either way, Apple needs to take a look at it, which i'll arrange shortly.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 01:18 AM

If the hard drive is not accessible because the heads are parked, for all practical purposes your Mac will be non functional.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 03:54 AM

Sounds like the battery connector that sometimes comes loose from the MLB. Take it in.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

kevyang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 10:56 PM

I have the same problem with my Macbook2.
It reboots itself after I move it around with the lid closed.
It seems to be fine when it is not moved.
I wonder if it will overheat if it happens when I'm carrying it around in a bag..

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by kevyang View Post
I have the same problem with my Macbook2.
It reboots itself after I move it around with the lid closed.
It seems to be fine when it is not moved.
I wonder if it will overheat if it happens when I'm carrying it around in a bag..
Make sure you have performed the latest EFI and SMC updates. Do not interrupt the updates. If it still behaves this way, take it in. They will fix it. In the mean time do not use the sleep function.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

kevyang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Macpilot.
It's a C2D Macbook, so none of the EFI or SMC updates applies.
But I've done a reset on the SMC.
I will post again if it is still a problem.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2006, 12:50 PM

Dude, this happened to me just a few minutes ago. The the screen dimmed for a while. This is getting extremely annoying. Has anyone called Apple about this?

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2007, 12:00 PM

My macbook finally went in for repair today, as it developed much more serious problems, plus the warranty has nearly expired, so i had to hurry.
The CD drive was making an awful racket with many disks. But on top of that, it also crashed, then it could not see the HD any more (Great ) So it would only boot from a Mac OS CD. Not much use..
Then it got even worse and would not boot at all.. Just a black screen, and the white light on front would blink on and off quite quickly. It stayed like this for several days, and then today it would boot from the CD again, but the HD was still seemingly dead. Disk warrior could not see the HD either..

With problems like that, i'd hope for a new replacement!? We shall see..

Forum Links
Forum Rules