Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > New Theme and Forum Reorganization Feedback

New Theme and Forum Reorganization Feedback (Page 2)
Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:50 AM

Impressive! Looks great guys. I hadn't been by here in about a month, imagine my surprise.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:51 AM

Fantastic new look. I like it!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:52 AM

Not bad, but a lot of white... I liked the color separations of before, though this design is better in a lot of other ways.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2007, 12:53 AM

The empty star is like a half star, so yes, four + empty is in between four and five. When you pass the next milestone it gets filled in.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Annette310
Feb 2, 2007, 12:54 AM

I like it!

Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 12:54 AM

How come I'm no longer listed as "Addicted to MacNN"? Something different in that respect? I'm going to need a new t-shirt!

Thank God edit still works.
( Last edited by Footy; Feb 2, 2007 at 01:04 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2007, 12:59 AM

There are some quirks that I hoped would be fixed but are still present.

Ah yes.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

flyordiedays
Feb 2, 2007, 01:05 AM

Wow, this looks great. I actually already like the sigs shifted to the right, it does make for smoother reading. The new spoiler tag is spiffy, also. Great job, effgee and Adam Betts! I don't doubt that this made for some headaches.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:13 AM

I didn't like the old theme so I really don't see how I can complain about this one. It's much nicer over all and I am happy that the quick reply feature is much improved.

Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 01:14 AM

Default text is HUGE!!!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 01:16 AM

Nice work, FG.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:22 AM

Changes abound! New sig for the first time in years...

I should put in my "big ups" for Effgee and Adam Betts. The icons rock and the layout is great.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:26 AM

Looks great. Nice work, effgee and Adam.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 01:55 AM

Yeah, all the sigs look really nice now. Weird.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:57 AM

I'm impressed with how quick and smooth the change-over was. No bugs, no lost post counts (that we know of) etc

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 01:58 AM

It's niiiiiiice! I liiiiiiiiike!

(Actually, I just want to check my new rank )

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2007, 01:59 AM

It's probably worth pointing out that the default text is now one point larger, but there is a "styles" menu in the button bar at the top. If you're logged in, you can choose how you want the forums to be displayed. The small sans-serif is small Lucida as it was before; there's also a serif option now (Georgia), which looks nice too.

Also, there are no bugs because we have been testing it for a long time. The staff and a small group of beta testers have been using the theme live on the forums for the past many weeks and ironing out small bugs. There are some small things here or there, but those are things people shouldn't really notice. We wanted to polish it as much as possible before releasing. Something may still come up, of course, but by and large things should be very smooth.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:59 AM

This is the best looking forum on the entire internets. Really nice work.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Rumor
Feb 2, 2007, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Default text is HUGE!!!
On the right where it says styles, you can change the font size to a degree.

Edit: Gorg is way to fast.

Edit2: Resizer on the image is pretty nifty.
( Last edited by Rumor; Feb 2, 2007 at 02:15 AM. )
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
It's probably worth pointing out that the default text is now one point larger, but there is a "styles" menu in the button bar at the top. If you're logged in, you can choose how you want the forums to be displayed. The small sans-serif is small Lucida as it was before; there's also a serif option now (Georgia), which looks nice too.
Georgia is my default serif font. It's like you guys read my mind. Or were aiming for mass compatibility.

I must say, this new theme looks great on my sig.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 02:16 AM

Overall I like the new look. Great job! I only have two comments. The blue border on the sides is a bit wide when viewing it on a smaller screen like my ibook. I am not sure if it is actually narrower than before, but it seems more squished to me. My other comment is the extended spacing between each thread. It is like it is double spaced now.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 02:21 AM

I think it'll take some getting used to, but overall is very polished. I like the serif font, viewing using it now - very classy.

My criticisms would be that it seems overly white, and also perhaps a bit cramped. Do we really need such a thick blue border around the forum? I know it is the Macnn style, but what about those on smaller resolutions? (edit: climber read my mind).

P.s. I've just seen that I'm a grizzled veteran - I like that!

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 02:32 AM

Just noticed birth dates show even if they aren't selected to. New feature?

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I think it'll take some getting used to, but overall is very polished. I like the serif font, viewing using it now - very classy.

My criticisms would be that it seems overly white, and also perhaps a bit cramped. Do we really need such a thick blue border around the forum? I know it is the Macnn style, but what about those on smaller resolutions? (edit: climber read my mind).

P.s. I've just seen that I'm a grizzled veteran - I like that!
If you compare the width of the forums to the main Macnn web page you will see the blue border is not nearly as wide.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:55 AM

you forgot to make all the picture threads of peoples setups stickies

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:59 AM

holy crap! the new spoiler tag picture is killer!

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 03:01 AM

Will get used to it I guess, though I really didn't see any problem with the existing layout. It was bright and economical in its use of space, good for browsing large amounts of text. This one is a bit sombre and greedy in its text use.

Other comments:

- Quite reminiscent of AppleInsider forums, less unique now.

- iPod forum should not have been combined with Apple TV. I feel that was a mistake.

- Many people around here were proud of their post count. Now there is no "reward" for their commitment. (I'm not saying I was one of them as I post infrequently, but I know others were.)

Whatever. Most people seem to like the change. I won't let the door hit me on the way out.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 03:06 AM

Nice, though I may like a theme with more color (or any color at all really).

Styling the "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" buttons like the "previous thread" and "next thread" buttons, because the Aqua style buttons are a bit incongruous.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2007, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Many people around here were proud of their post count. Now there is no "reward" for their commitment. (I'm not saying I was one of them as I post infrequently, but I know others were.)
We understand this, and our intention isn't to remove this kind of thing entirely. I don't think it's at all accurate to say that there is no reward for commitment. As I said before, everyone still has the star images that are more or less isomorphic to the post counts. More stars = more posts. And there are twice the number of ranks now, so it's even more fine-grained.

Jokes about post whoring aside, we like that people feel good about being recognized for making a large contribution to the community. It's something we want to continue to encourage. You can find out what the exact number is from the user profile if you want, but I think as far as eyeballing the "status" of a member, the stars are enough. Does the exact number really matter to that many people? Usually when people post whore it's to get to the next level of stars, anyway, not to just get arbitrarily high numbers.

This is not about taking some peculiar kind of moral stance against the idea of people enjoying their post counts. It's a practical consideration about whether displaying the actual number is really necessary when we have this star system.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 2, 2007, 03:14 AM

Thanks for the many kind words and the great constructive criticism ... both are loads appreciated! I imagine there'll be quite a bit of fine-tuning going on over the coming weeks and there might even be the occasional nasty bug that slipped through the cracks, which will require squashing.

I'll be traveling over the weekend and am not sure how much of an opportunity I'll have to go online to peek my head in, but starting sometime next week I'll definitely be reading up on this thread and will also begin to compile a "tweak list".

And this can't be neglected, either ... a big, fat "thanks" to all the great folks who helped loads and loads and loads (and loads ...) to get this show on the road ... demonhood and gorgonzola for always being there, helping out wherever they could and never telling me to my face what I whiny b*tch I was at times, the beta testers who helped a great deal eliminating the final bugs and optimizing the layout, and of course Adam Betts who generously donated his time to create those beautiful rank images (just wait until you stumble across demonhood's "dancing stars", they're the bomb)

edit 1: I feel it's worth making a quick note re: the space utilization of the new layout ... as strange as it may sound, but in its "roominess", or lack thereof, it is nearly identical to the old one ...

(click in the screenshot above for a larger version)

edit 2: LOL at my new "title", hadn't noticed that.
( Last edited by effgee; Feb 2, 2007 at 03:22 AM. )

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2007, 03:15 AM

I've been pro-legacy but it seems I've been upgraded. Looks nice. Slick.

Oh and micaelb, post count is listed in every user's Public Profile.
ice

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 03:17 AM

I want my old theme back

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 03:20 AM

Some optimization of load times would be appreciated too.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:23 AM

i've been slower than usual load times as well.

another thing: what ARE all the new ranks?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
We understand this, and our intention isn't to remove this kind of thing entirely. I don't think it's at all accurate to say that there is no reward for commitment. As I said before, everyone still has the star images that are more or less isomorphic to the post counts. More stars = more posts. And there are twice the number of ranks now, so it's even more fine-grained.

Jokes about post whoring aside, we like that people feel good about being recognized for making a large contribution to the community. It's something we want to continue to encourage. You can find out what the exact number is from the user profile if you want, but I think as far as eyeballing the "status" of a member, the stars are enough. Does the exact number really matter to that many people? Usually when people post whore it's to get to the next level of stars, anyway, not to just get arbitrarily high numbers.

This is not about taking some peculiar kind of moral stance against the idea of people enjoying their post counts. It's a practical consideration about whether displaying the actual number is really necessary when we have this star system.
Like everyone else who has commented on this, I liked the post count also. My post count is small, but I always found it interesting to see how many other people have posted. Having 10 titles, plus up to five stars on each level (I think?) is waaay more confusing. How do we know what title is above another? Giving one person 4 full stars and another person 4 plus an empty one seems like a weird way to say 4.5 stars.

Other than that, everything looks great! Good job to all who worked on it.

mindwaves
Feb 2, 2007, 03:36 AM

pfffftt....I see post counts by default!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 03:37 AM

first post since redesign....

:crosses fingers for cool ranking nickname:
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 03:38 AM

boooo....professional poster!? wtf is that?

im wanna be a mac L337
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

kick52
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 03:46 AM

no offence, but it SUCKS BALLS.

i guess the style is something i could get used to, but post counts have been disabled, WHICH SUCKS and there is no way to see if you have posted on a thread before, with/out replies.

well there is, but WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO SEE A TINY GREY BLOB, nearly THE SAME colour AS THE BACKGROUND. NO-ONE, scrolling thorugh the new posts or whatever is going to see that.

so, while it might be a proffessional design, it IS THE WORST at usability. (for me)

i just hope you allow us to switch between different themes, or i'm outa here.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
and there is no way to see if you have posted on a thread before, with/out replies.

well there is, but WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO SEE A TINY GREY BLOB, nearly THE SAME colour AS THE BACKGROUND. NO-ONE, scrolling thorugh the new posts or whatever is going to see that.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also dislike the new thread indicators. Not very visible is correct.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 03:51 AM

me liky a lot

Neat buttons too ..

Did you even change the progress.gif ? Looks more ... cleaner

I only have to get used to the new location of EDIT, QUOTE etc.

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2007, 03:58 AM

I plan on creating a Safari plug-in to change the page style.

Not enough lens flares, but it looks pretty good. Contrast is definitely lacking, though.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 04:19 AM

Looks great!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 04:23 AM

Nice job guys. Very clean looking. Although I think a chair rail and crown molding would have made a more elegant look.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 04:23 AM

This is awesome! best forum theme ive seen.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 04:29 AM

Am I the only one who can't view public profiles? I click on a user's name and a little window with links comes up. However, nothing happens when I click on the links. I'm using Safari with Panther.

Also, does anyone have a list of the new user rankings with milestones? I need to know how close I am to reclaiming the "Addicted to MacNN" title. This "Mac Elite" thing needs to go.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2007, 04:33 AM

What prompted the change?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 04:39 AM

The sig is now on the right, way too much spacing, and harder to follow.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 04:43 AM

Whoa, fresh.

A great refresh indeed, thanks to all involved. Yet, in the footsteps of great nit-pickers, I'll add a couple observations to get them out of the way

- The button shadows are too heavy IMHO and seem a bit out-of-place compared to other shadows, such as the roundrect around posts. 'No shadows' or 'sunken' style could be a better fit? (Ugly mockup follows)

- A vote for very slight alternating backgrounds from me, too.

But yeah, minor details - the feel is good already.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2007, 05:11 AM

Congratulations. Overall I really like the new look!

Let me suggest a couple of things to improve though:

The user info bar is too wide. I'd rather have wrapped lines than a quarter of the window dedicated to meta info.

Post counts. IMHO either drop them totally or display them. But as long as you have them on this board they should be displayed where the other important user info is. And before you say there's not enough space, allow me to point out that the user's status is displayed which IMHO is not nearly as relevant as his posting history. This is a board, not a chat.

The default font is large. OTOH there is a style menu which allows you to reduce the font size - nice. I'd personally like to see an option for an even smaller font though. The new interface is very light so I believe the font size can be chosen really small. Also, the line spacing seems a tad too generous.

Blob on thread icon for new posts and own posts. I think it's fairly difficult to properly recognize those icons - the grey blob is hardly visible. I'd increase the blob size, make the 'new posts' blob red and the 'own posts' blob yellow.

Jump to first unread post is broken! In the list of subscribed threads in my user cp I can no longer select a thread and have it jump to the first unread post in that thread. That just plain sucks! I'd really like the thread title in that list to link to the first unread post rather than to the first post. That's the only thing that makes sense in a list of subscribed threads.

Apart from those details it's really a clean, simple and nice design. Thanks for your effort!
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 2, 2007 at 05:22 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules