Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unibody Owners: Macbook vs MBP. Any regrets?

Unibody Owners: Macbook vs MBP. Any regrets?
Urkel
Dec 29, 2008, 03:54 PM

For all the Macbook/Macbook Pro owners, how does everyone feel about their purchase choice? Any regrets on picking one over the other? I think I prefer the 13" due to size, price, value and familiarity but there definitely are some things that make me feel the MBP is what I should get. So I'm asking around and trying to get some opinions by some real users on how they feel post-purchase.

I'm currently upgrading from a 1st Gen Black Macbook and I already bought my wife a unibody 13". Here's the list of the differences between the Macbook and MBP (along with how it affects my purchase decision):

Screen Quality: MBP is noticeably better because the regular MB washes out blacks pretty bad.

Video: On the Macbook (2GB) then Lightroom on a 24" LCD tends to get sluggish and I'm not sure if that's due to memory or the video card. (I just ordered 4GB so we'll see if that fixes things up)

Size: I haven't owned a 15" notebook since the 90's and am not looking forward to it.

Firewire: Only on MBP. Part of being an Apple fan is compromising and this is just another case where I have to allow Apple to dictate what they think I want. I can live without Firewire.

Express Slot: Only on MBP. I own an express slot SD Card reader and as an (amateur) photographer then that in itself is the only CURRENT reason I want express slot. But who knows, future-proofing is always cool.

Price: Price isn't necessarily a huge issue and I'm willing to pay up, but $700 difference between two pretty similar machines isn't something easily ignored.

So is there any other deciding factors that I missed? I know both products are great so either way I'll be fine but asking around always brings up different perspectives that I probably didn't think of. So any advice/opinions is greatly appreciated.
( Last edited by Urkel; Dec 29, 2008 at 05:19 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 04:18 PM

i really stressed over this; the screen on the mbp is MUCH better, and i use firewire. BUT...prefer a smaller notebook, and finally went with the 2.4g macbook.

and am pretty happy. screen is at least much brighter, sharper than my previous powerbook; don't like glossy (but that's a given with both the mb & the pro anyway).

am managing without firewire as well (atho am not happy about that).

still... this is my fave mac to date (and i started with the 6100/60 powermac!). fast, light, bright. fits in my backpack. no crashes, no weird behaviour. and not nearly as hot as my powerbook got. backlit screen rocks.

am doing music (reason synced to logic), plus cs3 suite, and the usual surfing/email. everything flies...

still...why not play with your wife's book first? see how it feels, then decide which way to go...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2008, 04:57 PM

No regrets with my purchase of the 2.53 MBP.

I agonized over which model to pick, I really liked the MB 13" form factor but I was concerned about the integrated graphics. In hindsight seeing how well it does perform, I could have been very content with the MB. I don't have any regrets or buyers remorse because the MBP works better then I expected. The other potential issue between the two is the screen quality between the MB and MBP. Theirs been reports that colors are more washed out on the MB as compared to the MBP.

Which one is best for you depends on your budget and usage patterns, such as games, or software that will need the better GPU.
~Mike

kw14
Dec 29, 2008, 04:59 PM

Bought 15" MacBook Pro recently. First thing I needed was FW target disk mode to transfer my account from my old computer. I probably need the FW port for future video editing work. So FW port is important currently.

The screen size is pretty good. I think doing any work, the 13" may be a bit small. The glossy screen hasn't bother me too much yet. Yeah, you can see yourself when the screen is black; but so what, I didn't get the computer to stare at a black screen. Screen is very bright and very clear. Didn't have problem doing Photoshop editing.

I also enjoy the fact that it runs cooler than my old laptop which can get upward of 80 deg C. This 15" MBP typically at about 60 deg C while heavy lifting.

My guess is the MBP wouldn't have any problem running Lightroom. I edited a couple gigabyte images on Photoshop CS2 (PPC) recently and the MBP didn't even flinched.

I don't know about the comment regarding AC adapters. I am using my old 85W adapter as well as a 65W adapter from another previous gen 13" MB. It works fine.

The only thing that gave me pause was the price. But all in all, no regrets. It is a great computer. The 13" MB is more of a causal use machine which just does not happen to fit me.

Best of luck!

Urkel  (op)
Dec 29, 2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
still...why not play with your wife's book first? see how it feels, then decide which way to go...
My black Macbook is pretty much dead so I've hijacked my wifes notebook waay too often (which is why I'm being pressured to buy so soon.).

Honestly, after using her Macbook then I'm feeling that the 13" is already more than enough notebook for me. But since I'm hoping to use this for the next few years then I want to make sure I don't get blindsided some day and realize I should've opted for a beefier video card or something.
( Last edited by Urkel; Dec 29, 2008 at 07:10 PM. )

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 03:32 AM

No regrets on buying my new 2.4GHz unibody MBPro. In my case Firewire and screen quality were the deciding factors vs the 13" unibody MB.

It was not an easy decision tho because I actually prefer the smaller form factor of the 13" unibody MacBooks. Better yet, a 12" version that offers the compact size and feature set of the old 12" G4 PowerBook - along with the display quality of the MBAir.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 03:33 PM

I love my MBP 15inch, no regrets at all.
Looking forward to the possible new 17inch with the quad core processor
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

richskl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 03:48 PM

My new MBP 15 inch is brilliant but if I could have got IDENTICAL performance in the macbook I would have definitely gone for that. I run lightroom and photoshop regularly (using ext display) and they need all the performance you can get.

Urkel  (op)
Dec 30, 2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by richskl View Post
My new MBP 15 inch is brilliant but if I could have got IDENTICAL performance in the macbook I would have definitely gone for that. I run lightroom and photoshop regularly (using ext display) and they need all the performance you can get.
Do you primarily run your MBP using 9600 chip? Amazon just delivered my 4GB upgrade that I'm testing out in the wife's Unibody Macbook and there is a significant difference in Lightroom (especially when powering the 24" LCD). I have to give it a few days of hard usage, but it seems that the 13" + 4GB memory is plenty. But still my biggest concern is that I get a machine that's only "good enough for now" so what tasks should I perform to make sure I don't run into a bottleneck with that integrated 9400M?

Anyway, one option I never even thought of is the 13" + Apple Cinema Display. That would only cost $200 more than just going out and getting a Macbook Pro for 2 grand.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 04:32 PM

as you know, there is a screen difference.
i do not think that it is that big of a difference.
you may see it if you are using those programs though.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

richskl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 04:38 PM

also for photo editing on the move the MBP screen whilst not ideal is at least usable. the quality of the MB screen is just too poor for that kind of work. I think they are both 6 bit TN panels but somehow the MBP one looks a lot better!

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2008, 07:23 PM

I don't have any regrets, just a few questions that haven't gone away. I have waited since January (or so) to get my hands on not only my first notebook in about six years but also my first Apple computer in the same period. As a student it was a big purchase for me, but I am glad I did it.

9600GT ... well I don't do any gaming any more and my X1900XT in a server would be more suited to that job anyway. Express Slot ... would have loved one but I am a big fan of the 13" form factor. Firewire ... don't use it.

Due to higher education discount followed by an Apple rebate the 2.4GHz MacBook only cost me a shy over £900. I could have had a 15" old MacBook Pro for that price, but the new trackpad and the like just sell me on the spot on them heh. Regrets? None. Questions? Some.

mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2008, 07:37 PM

No regrets whatsoever on my Uni MBP 2.4. I bought the stock model, then upgraded the HD to a Seagate 500gb and the ram with crucial (4gb) Both from the egg. HD swap was simple. Took about 5 minutes. Ram a little longer, but not hard. I needed FW so I never considered the MB. My local Best Buy has the MB, MBA, and the MBP all side by side, so it is very easy to compare screens. My apple store kept them on separate tables.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 03:47 AM

No regrets on my 2.8 MBP either. My girlfriend has the 2.0 MB, and I don't think I could've lived with it. I mean yeah, it's more portable, but I like the extra features of the MBP.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 04:07 AM

also for photo editing on the move the MBP screen whilst not ideal is at least usable. the quality of the MB screen is just too poor for that kind of work...
After several side by side comparisons of the new 13" unibody MBs at a local Apple Store I was most disappointed with the new screens. The consumer MBs are understandably going to have a lower quality display vs MBAir / Pro models. But the new glass cover seems to amplify the weaknesses: extraordinarily poor black levels, limited viewing angles hampered by much higher than previous glare levels.

Coming from my previous notebook (1st gen Black MB) I could've gotten by (grudgingly) without Firewire. But the screen is where you spend 99% of your time when using any computer. I wish Apple would consider allowing us to BTO a decent screen on the consumer models.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 09:56 AM

oh, i forgot the upgrades.
i upgraded the HDD from 320/5400rpm to 500/5400rpm.
if size were not the biggest concern, i would have went for the faster speed.
i had the MP and the MBP side by side and had no issues with the screen.
there was a difference, but too me it was not that big.
i would like a larger screen, but that is what externals are for right
good luck.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 09:59 AM

oh yeah and i went up to 4 gigs of ram. i think that was needed.

Urkel  (op)
Dec 31, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
After several side by side comparisons of the new 13" unibody MBs at a local Apple Store I was most disappointed with the new screens. The consumer MBs are understandably going to have a lower quality display vs MBAir / Pro models.
i'm not sure if i can agree that it's "understandably" lower quality displays. The Air proves that a quality 13" LED exists so their decision to put an inferior screen in the Macbook was intentional to force MBP sales to those who should be fine with a regular Macbook. And it seems that it worked because I see a lot of people (including me) who say the screen quality is their main reason for going Pro.

As for my personal testing on the wifes 13", photoediting in lightroom has definitely given me poor results when compared to how it looks on the 24" LCD. And I just tested out playing the new Prince of Persia on the Windows side and, while the game runs great on medium settings, the blacks definitely aren't coming through. For most people it's not a big deal, but once you notice the screen quality difference then it's pretty tough to ignore.

I'd be smart to wait until Macworld because maybe they'll offer a speed bump or revision that would include a better screen on the 13".

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
i'm not sure if i can agree that it's "understandably" lower quality displays. The Air proves that a quality 13" LED exists so their decision to put an inferior screen in the Macbook was intentional to force MBP sales to those who should be fine with a regular Macbook. And it seems that it worked because I see a lot of people (including me) who say the screen quality is their main reason for going Pro.

As for my personal testing on the wifes 13", photoediting in lightroom has definitely given me poor results when compared to how it looks on the 24" LCD. And I just tested out playing the new Prince of Persia on the Windows side and, while the game runs great on medium settings, the blacks definitely aren't coming through. For most people it's not a big deal, but once you notice the screen quality difference then it's pretty tough to ignore.

I'd be smart to wait until Macworld because maybe they'll offer a speed bump or revision that would include a better screen on the 13".
The funny thing is that if there was a better screen, Apple would not tell us.
They would do the upgrades, and tell us about those, but not the screen.
The reason that they would not tell us about the screen is because it would be like admitting to a problem.

Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2009, 12:10 AM

I have been looking forward to buying a new Mac notebook for a while. I was going to take the plunge after Apple made the recent update. Based on my needs, a Macbook was what fits. However, I was very unhappy about the lack of Firewire on the new Macbooks. For me the issue was the lack of Target DIsk Mode. However, I couldn't justify the $700 price increase for that. I wasn't going to buy either until my brother was able to give me his Apple discount bringing the cost of the Macbook under a thousand dollars. I bought the low end (normally priced at $1, 299) Macbook.

My fears of no Firewire proved warranted as the Migration assistant didn't work and there were all kinds of problems dragging files over Ethernet.

Another feature I like, but didn't want to pay $300 for was the backlit lighting.

I also suspect that Apple will update the MAcbook Pro in the future to better integrate the dual graphic cards included on the Macbooks.

For all the Macbook/Macbook Pro owners, how does everyone feel about their purchase choice? . . . . . . So is there any other deciding factors that I missed? I know both products are great so either way I'll be fine but asking around always brings up different perspectives that I probably didn't think of. So any advice/opinions is greatly appreciated.

clockworkwar
Jan 1, 2009, 06:08 AM

I am sure the locked away engineers are listening to the moaning about the screen, and will probably revise the design next year without any notification.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Terrin View Post
My fears of no Firewire proved warranted as the Migration assistant didn't work and there were all kinds of problems dragging files over Ethernet.
I don't understand. You didn't use the Migration Assistant over ethernet, preferring to manually drag files across?

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2009, 07:27 PM

i'm not sure if i can agree that it's "understandably" lower quality displays. The Air proves that a quality 13" LED exists so their decision to put an inferior screen in the Macbook was intentional to force MBP sales to those who should be fine with a regular Macbook. And it seems that it worked because I see a lot of people (including me) who say the screen quality is their main reason for going Pro....
By "understandably" I was comparing the lower priced MacBook to higher end models like the Air/Pro. Even so, I would've gone with a 13" unibody MB if I could BTO the Air's display. The wider viewing angle makes it much easier to tilt away the glare in an office environment - at least it does with my new 15" unibody MBPro. And the richer colors and deeper blacks make it much more enjoyable to use.

I can't say I'm disappointed in any way with my new 2.4GHz unibody Pro model. The larger size which I initially wanted to avoid means I end up with extras like dual graphics, FW800, and an EC slot. These are features I'd miss out on even if I could BTO the 13" unibody with a better screen. Decisions, decisions...

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2009, 11:28 PM

Urkel, don't get your hopes up for the revision. The only components that would/could be updated would be processor/HDD - Intel just released updated mobile C2D, but the bump is nothing to write home about. You'd be looking at a 100mhz bump (2.4,2.5,2.8 got bumped to 2.5, 2.6, and 2.93, respectively).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 05:11 AM

Well actually the direct bumps were 2.4 GHz -> 2.53 GHz (P8600->P8700) and 2.8 GHz -> 2.93 GHz (T9600->T9800). For these bumps $1k prices remained unchanged.

The new 2.66 GHz models are not really a bump but an extension of the existing lines. One is the T9550 which complements the 35W Penryns in the medium range. The other (P9600) brings the 25W parts to higher frequencies. Both are available alongside previous models.

But otherwise I agree with the previous poster. These are evolutionary changes of the Penryn CPU, nothing Apple would add to the MB(P) immediately for a refresh at MWSF. The iMac and Mac mini are what's going to happen there.

macaphil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 11:32 PM

why not buy a Spring 2008 MBP for about the same price as a new unibody macbook? The ongoing sales of old inventory offers discounts of $600 or better. I got a 2.4 GHz, 200GB, 2GB ram for $1300 after rebate.
( Last edited by macaphil; Jan 2, 2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: title didn't show)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2009, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by macaphil View Post
why not buy a Spring 2008 MBP for about the same price as a new unibody macbook? The ongoing sales of old inventory offers discounts of $600 or better. I got a 2.4 GHz, 200GB, 2GB ram for $1300 after rebate.
Because some people prefer a 13" MB over a 15" MBP. Size, weight, battery life. Different people, different needs.

Obviously if you prefer the MBP over the MB and you don't like unibody (or you can't afford spending $1999) the refurb section is an excellent choice.

Urkel  (op)
Jan 5, 2009, 02:53 PM

Based on most benchmark articles, I assumed the MBP's all had 512MB for the 9600. But I just realized that the $2000 MBP only has 256MB and the $2500 model is the one with 512MB.

Since the dedicated GPU was one off my justifications for going Pro then I'm considering to just get what I need for now with the Macbook and save my money. But what do other MBP owners feel? Is it affecting you in any way or am I just overthinking this because, to me, 256MB seems pretty skimpy. Especially on a $2000 system.
( Last edited by Urkel; Jan 5, 2009 at 03:33 PM. )

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 5, 2009, 05:42 PM

No regrets but since the unibody macbook actually has a good graphics card, I started gaming. Which has me wanting to back to a Last generation macbook pro. My macbook pretty much sits on my desk since I don't travel with it. I have a cheap netbook that takes all the abuse.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 03:08 AM

I got the 2.5 4gb MBP. No regrets here.

I was using a 17" 2.33 MBP and it was an impressive machine.

The things I don't like are the keyboard (previous generation keyboard was not cheap-looking and the curvature of the keys was more natural). The screen is a bit more glossy than the previous generation and can be a bit annoying in some areas.

But the build quality of this thing is incredible. And that is saying a lot since the last generation was no flimsy machine. Also the quickly-removable hard drive is a big plus.

As far as 13" versus 15": I don't really understand why anyone with the cash would opt of the 13". Too many sacrifices to save 1.5 pounds. I mean, the two machines are not too different in size. Now, if you are on a budget I can see the 13" model as a viable option.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2009, 05:22 AM

MBP here, dont regret it without a doubt, went from a last Gen G4 15" to a last gen white macbook, never sacrificing again.
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot View Post
As far as 13" versus 15": I don't really understand why anyone with the cash would opt of the 13". Too many sacrifices to save 1.5 pounds. I mean, the two machines are not too different in size. Now, if you are on a budget I can see the 13" model as a viable option.
As a strange coincidence in the model names I actually discern the 13" and the 15" models between personal and professional use. I've owned both form factors (13" MacBook now, refurb 15" TiBook 667/DVI before that, iBook 500 before that) and always have trouble choosing.

If I use a MacBook exclusively for personal use as I do now (e-mail, web surfing, checking account stuff) I easily choose the 13". I'm more likely to take it away from my home desk for "want to use" (versus "have to use") if it's a smaller machine. Admittedly last year I did professional Java software development work on the MacBook (work supplied a Dell desktop but I worked remotely at coworker's house most of the time) but 1280x800 wasn't that big of an adjustment coming from my 1280x854 TiBook.

My current job is all done on a work-supplied Dell Latitude D830 (15" 1920x1200 and I have the Windows DPI cranked to 125%) so my MacBook is back to being just a personal machine. I'm on the fence right now as to my next (soon) purchase...I have a wonderful cubicle section desk setup at home now so I could do the 13" with an external display (like I do now 50% of the time) and have a great portable for what road use. But if I have to use this professionally in the near future I could plan ahead and get the 15" but then I would use the machine less personally. For the record...I'm leaning towards the 13" as I don't think I'll get a "work on your own machine" job ever again...

Voch

Urkel  (op)
Jan 7, 2009, 03:29 PM

It's silly that it's taking me this long to decide which one, but i guess that shows how great even the "low-end" Macbooks are. I've been jusing my wifes Macbook then i'm surprised how well it's handled everything i've thrown at it. So paired with my existing 24" LCD then the only major difference here is the GPU and whether or not it will pay off in the long run (because so far I haven't found more power to be necessary with Lightroom).

So that's where I am. Save $700 by getting the cheapest Macbook and spend the extra cash for HDD/Memory (and have enough left over for a console/rockband) or get a Pro and hope that all this hoopla about 10.6 utilizing the 9600 chip turns out to be true.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far. Hopefully I make the right long term decision.
( Last edited by Urkel; Jan 7, 2009 at 04:26 PM. )

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 01:23 PM

It's silly that it's taking me this long to decide which one, but i guess that shows how great even the "low-end" Macbooks are. I've been jusing my wifes Macbook then i'm surprised how well it's handled everything i've thrown at it. So paired with my existing 24" LCD then the only major difference here is the GPU and whether or not it will pay off in the long run (because so far I haven't found more power to be necessary with Lightroom).

So that's where I am. Save $700 by getting the cheapest Macbook and spend the extra cash for HDD/Memory (and have enough left over for a console/rockband) or get a Pro and hope that all this hoopla about 10.6 utilizing the 9600 chip turns out to be true.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far. Hopefully I make the right long term decision.
I'm in exactly the same boat as Urkel. Not sure to get the MB (or refurb MBA) (for size) or the MBP (for performance). Add the current supply of last gen refurbs into the mix and the decision becomes even harder.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 01:55 PM

I'm in the same boat but it's between the unibody 13" and the unibody 15". I've owned both form factors (current Rev. A MacBook 13" and my previous TiBook 15") and both are showing up as refurbs. I'm currently leaning towards the 13" for portability and I'm fairly used to the same screen on my current MB.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 02:06 PM

Wow. I hope this boat can hold all of us. The water is cold. :-)

My biggest choice now is between the 13" unibody and the 15" refurb (last gen). With the economy in the crapper I'm trying to be frugal and spend less.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 02:42 PM

I'm not worried about the money specifically. My worry is that I may tend to have the machine with me less often if it is heavier and bulkier. Sometimes while watching TV I grab my current MacBook from my office to my living room just to scour the 'Net...I wonder if I'll do that less often with an MBP versus the even-lighter-than-I-have-now unibody MB.

But the new unibody 15" MBP only weights 0.3 pounds more than my current Rev. A MacBook (5.2 pounds...the later revisions got incrementally 0.2 pounds lighter), so from a weight perspective it's only 0.3 pounds heavier but adds a fantastic screen (and a GPU, card slot, and FireWire that I'll probably never take advantage of, so is that wasteful?). The MBP is bulkier though, and when I had a TiBook 667/DVI it was noticeably more bulky than my iBook/500 I had before it and was thusly used as a portable much less often. But maybe the new solidity of the unibody MPB will make me not worry about that (I seriously babied the TiBook...it hardly ever left my apartment).

And if I ever have to use the MacBook professionally (I am a Java developer by trade but am currently supplied with a Dell notebook for work stuff) I will definitely want the MBP over the MB.

Decisions, decisions...
( Last edited by Voch; Jan 8, 2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typos)

Urkel  (op)
Jan 8, 2009, 05:00 PM

Well, I finally made my decision. After days of agonizing over this I knew that either way I'd have a regret so even though i preferred the smaller size and found the MB to be close to perfection, i just bit the bullet and went with the 15" MBP. And while i'd like to say it's because "the MBP is so much better", i simply can't. I've used my wife's 13" for a while and that is one killer machine. But what drove me to the MBP is that washed out screen they put on the MB. As much as some will say they are the same, I've got them both in front of me and if you're doing serious media work then there definitely is a difference.

Anyway, i hope people don't take this as whining, but here's my personal pros and cons for both systems.

Size/Weight:
Weight isn't too big a difference. But the size definitely "feels" different. In your hands then the MB feels smaller like a paper notebook, while the Pro feels bigger like a pizza box.

Power:
2.0MB vs 2.4MBP and both feel exactly the same. Processor speed has reached a point where everything is snappy, and that's why I wrote out the 2.4MB early.

GPU:
I'm sure it will come in handy some day, but with my current suite of apps (Lightroom, CS3, iLife) then the 9400M and 9600 feel pretty similar. That motion stabalization in iMovie 09 is a big reason i went MBP, but I have a feeling that with enough memory the 9400M will be able to handle it as well.

One HUGE disappointment with the MBP is that it only has 256MB on the $2000 model. C'mon Apple, notebooks aimed at gamers/pros have had 512MB for a while now. Oh, and login/logout to switch processors is annoying.

Battery Life:
That Macbook battery was pretty impressive, but already today i'm down to 30% batt in just 2 hours of doing nothing. hopefully it's like a car and that last 10% gets you to the gas station.

Everything Else:
-MBP audio quality is definitely better, but i guess I was fooled by those sleek aluminum speaker grills.
-Heat/noise (or the lack of) is amazing on both. I see people recommend last gens MBP, but I steered clear from those because they are too loud and run dangerously hot. The MBP is a bit warmer/louder than the MB, but both are significantly cooler and quieter.
-Dongles. c'mon Apple. $30 for a firewire adapter. $30 for a DVI adapter. $30 for a VGA adapter. Luckily I don't have a 30" monitor and still have my old remote because this kind of stuff is obnoxious.

So overall I still don't know how i feel. In the short term then i would have been happier with the Macbook and used my savings towards a nice monitor, memory, HDD etc. But because I don't plan to upgrade for a few yeas (and because Apple decided to lecture us on batteries rather than Snow Leopard at Macworld) then I overbought in hopes it will pay off down the road.

Okay, well I hope this helps someone out there. And don't think I'm being down on the MBP. These are probably the 1st and 2nd best notebooks on the market now so everyone should feel good knowing that either way they got a great machine.
( Last edited by Urkel; Jan 8, 2009 at 05:08 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2009, 03:57 AM

Oh, and login/logout to switch processors is annoying.
Indeed. I really hope Apple changes this soon. In SL at the very latest. In order for GPU switching to be really practical people have to be able to do it on the fly.

That Macbook battery was pretty impressive, but already today i'm down to 30% batt in just 2 hours of doing nothing. hopefully it's like a car and that last 10% gets you to the gas station.
Don't trust battery readings on a brand new Mac. You have to properly calibrate the battery first. Once the battery is calibrated the readings will be more accurate. With the 9400M I easily got 4h doing "nothing".

mbpcedric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2009, 11:16 AM

I've always had 15" and 17" mac laptops and decided to go with a 13" MB since I work from home a lot now and have a 24" Imac at home. Nice machine, I love the fact that its got the same design as the MBP. But I returned it and got a 15" :

-The screen, though bright, is much worse than the MBP.
-No firewire (though I could live without it)
-Express cards slot (again forgot that I use this a few time here and there)
-Graphics not up to par
+I did love the size factor
-/+ I had the 2.4 MB and the price difference really isn't that big with the base MBP...

With all that said, I am trading in the 15" for a 17" and the end of the month, but just because the insurance is paying for it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules