Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Changing The Name of the Trash in the Dock

Changing The Name of the Trash in the Dock
Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 04:09 AM

Anybody know how one would go about changing what the trash is called when you put your mouse over it in the dock? I'm not sure how to/if this is possible. For a normal application, you just change the name, but the trash obviously isn't a normal application. I decided I wanted to change the name to "Inky Black Void" on a whim. Any help is appreciated.
--

Meneldil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 04:55 AM

Figured it out.
--

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2002, 05:17 AM

why don't you share your solution?
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Meneldil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 05:40 AM

Sorry, was distracted by my quest to make it transparent again. Simply change the string "Empty Trash" in this file to whatever you want- I've put several things in, and length seems not to matter:

System/Library/CoreServices/Dock/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

It hasn't broken my computer yet, so I think it's okay.
--

Meneldil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 05:45 AM

Now if I could just make the damn thing transparent, I'd be happy. If you look in the location one was supposed to look in 10.1, System/Library/CoreServices/Dock/Contents/Resources/, there are no longer three pdfs named middle.pdf, left.pdf, and right.pdf.

I tried adding the old pdfs and restarting the dock. Failed. I tried converting these transparent pdfs to pngs, since the other dock images switched to these, and then restarting the dock. This also failed.

I can't find any reference to color, opacity, or transparency in any file related to the dock, or another place where files similar to those in 10.1 might exist. Anyone have any ideas?
--

Meneldil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 05:49 AM

Silly me. It says how to in another item.

http://www.unsanity.com/ has an app.
--

Forum Links
Forum Rules