Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Hard Drive

New Hard Drive
Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 02:00 AM

What sort of hard drive would you reccomend to replace the 10 gig one in my G3 500Mhz iBook? I want to add some more space because I'm taking some time off school and spending several months in China, and I don't want to carry around external drives and such. I'm hoping to get 20 to 30 gigs, the higher the better, as long as it isn't too pricey.
--

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 02:04 AM

Well, you don't really have that many options. IBM makes the TravelStar line, and I think Toshiba makes the other big laptop hard drives. Unless you really want to get into the nitty gritty, just look for whatever 2.5" IDE drives show up on http://www.dealmac.com.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 03:27 AM

ive had 2 IBMS Hard Drives die on me, my current one in my Dell is a IBM and I worry all the time, my budy is on his orginal toshiba now 3 years old.

Get a 30GB cuz your wasting money upgrading again later.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

stew
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Well, you don't really have that many options. IBM makes the TravelStar line, and I think Toshiba makes the other big laptop hard drives.
IBM's storage line recently merged with Hitachi. Same drives, different label. Also, Fujitsu is making drives - their 3.5" models are very silent, don't know too much about their notebook drives.

Stink different.

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 12:01 PM

And make sure they are 9.5mm high, not the 12.5mm models.

buzzedtop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 03:41 PM

I'm using a Travelstart 40 gig (5400 rpm) drive in my iBook. I'm very happy with it. It IS a bit more noisy than the original 15gigger, but the increase in performance (esp. in the finder) is very noticable.

In fact, Finder performance on my iBook 600mhz is faster than 800 mhz iBooks i've looked at.

Forum Links
Forum Rules