Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 = Dead

Mac OS 9 = Dead
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 08:12 PM

Well, now with Mac OS 9 dead, I think MacNN should take this forum away from encouraging us to using it, and not OS X.

<my7200>
May 7, 2002, 03:13 AM

u r a jerk!... people still use &lt; 9... and most of them are more loyal to the Macintosh that people that jump ship like yourself!

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 10:36 AM

Who said Mac OS 9 is dead?

This is another case of folks taking the AllMightOne's words completely out of context. In case you didn't notice, the statement was that for developers (ie: the people actually AT WWDC), OS 9 should be considered dead - that Apple is 100% focused on development of OS X and that developers should follow suit.

In the same sentence he also made the point that many Macintosh users are still on OS 9.

It's WWDC. Treat it as WWDC (developers), not MacWorld (consumers).

Speed

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by &lt;my7200&gt;:
<STRONG>u r a jerk!... people still use &lt; 9... and most of them are more loyal to the Macintosh that people that jump ship like yourself!</STRONG>
woah, relax there killer.
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 11:48 AM

I'm gona get a shovel and dig up the coffin, & give OS 9 mouth to mouth...

NY152
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 03:30 PM

The reality is that if you decide to stay with OS 9 for the forseeable future you will eventually run into a road block where an application you want is only available under OS X. If however you plan to migrate to OS X within say, the next year you should be fine. OS 9 whether we like it or not will be disappearing from the radar in the not too distant future. Only to be brought back in Platinum themes under OS X. Enjoy it while you can but don't go down with the ship.
<over-large signature edited by management>

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2002, 05:26 PM

OS 9 ...
What's that?

May 8, 2002, 07:00 PM

I notice that Popular Science Magazine rates Microsoft Windows XP as easier to use than Mac OSX! I own a small business with six macs and all will stay with OS9! So long as Quark, Photo Shop, Illustrator work, and eBay lives, I see no reason to ever change to DOS X. I will remain stuck in time with OS9!

Colonel Panic
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 08:51 PM

well, good luck.....i can't see choosing 9 over 10.1.4. i definitely can't envision choosing 9 over 10.2 if it delivers on half of what was demoed.

suppose it depends on what you use it for and what you are comfortable with.

exvolvo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2002, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by &lt;my7200&gt;:
<STRONG>u r a jerk!... people still use &lt; 9... and most of them are more loyal to the Macintosh that people that jump ship like yourself!</STRONG>
yes k12 schools are stuck for the next school year or so as training issues loom large for these institutions...not to mention the software for OSX and education is still a bit slim....

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 9, 2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by NY152:
<STRONG>The reality is that if you decide to stay with OS 9 for the forseeable future you will eventually run into a road block where an application you want is only available under OS X. If however you plan to migrate to OS X within say, the next year you should be fine. OS 9 whether we like it or not will be disappearing from the radar in the not too distant future. Only to be brought back in Platinum themes under OS X. Enjoy it while you can but don't go down with the ship.</STRONG>
Umm.. wrong. Unless you're talking about new applications (most of which i find not worth the time it takes to download them from VersionTracker) there's little logic in saying that a major company like Adobe is going to complete a total rewrite of a Carbon-based application with millions of lines of code like Photoshop just so it will *not* run on OS 9. On the contrary, many developers chose the Carbon approach specifically because they know their customers will remain on OS 9 for at least the next 6-12 months.

If you want to say that all those Mac users spending 90% of their time surfing the net and wasting CPU cycles in MS Excel X will be on OS X fine, but there's also a very significant number of users out there in professional fields that will remain on on OS 9 for a while simply out of necessity and investment. Transition to X involves a lot more than just getting used to throbbing dialog buttons.

Speed

MacMonster
Forum Regular
May 9, 2002, 06:27 AM

I will still use OS 9 until Steve Jobs buries OS X.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
May 9, 2002, 07:20 AM

OS9 is not dead, it merely will get no more updates (except those to keep "classic" running smoothly within OSX.

I still have a machine running OS 8.6. It's not dead, just a little slow.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

BillyB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2002, 08:15 AM

Sometimes I feel like these times are reminiscent of the end of the Apple ][GS era... GS/OS 6.0.1 was fascinating, yet we all new the reaper was standing at the door. I really dove into that machine and OS; and I hated to see it abandoned... almost felt insulting... yet I eventually migrated over to the Mac OS. 'Tis the same tingle I get now while enjoying OS 9. I don't want to change again!
--"When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete."

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2002, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by &lt;[email protected]&gt;:
<STRONG>I notice that Popular Science Magazine rates Microsoft Windows XP as easier to use than Mac OSX! I own a small business with six macs and all will stay with OS9! So long as Quark, Photo Shop, Illustrator work, and eBay lives, I see no reason to ever change to DOS X. I will remain stuck in time with OS9!</STRONG>
Well, then Popular Science are wrong.

OS X is just as easy to use as OS 9, if not more so. And they're both a damn sight easier than XP - despite the Wizards.

OS 8 & 9 were good to me, but old Macs and old apps are the only reason not to go OS X. It's the best operating system in the world, bar none.

Chris

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2002, 03:09 PM

I probably would be more inclined to use X if...
A: I had faster systems & could load in classic mode faster
(I have an iMac DV 400MHz & an iBook 300MHz)
Or...
B: I had enough money to afford the X version of apps
(Mainly Adobe Photoshop 7 & Office X)

Or better yet:
C: All of the above.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
[QB]OS X is just as easy to use as OS 9, if not more so. And they're both a damn sight easier than XP - despite the Wizards.[QB]
Easier to use? Where are the drivers for my devices? Where are the specific files that store various settings for the system? Where are all the locations most program store info for? What all is hidden in the hidden direcories???

I know classic better than the back of my hand. In OS X I have to stay out of root so I don't "accidentally delete essential system components, or the entire system itself"...

I constantly boot in classic to try to move files around because classic doesn't give a damn where I move them... Also if I want to edit something like a menu extra, I can't get into the recource folder where the tiff's are while booted in X, I can easily while in classic. Even if I try to edit a copy of the menu extra...

<Mrs. Slocum>
May 10, 2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
<STRONG>Well, now with Mac OS 9 dead, I think MacNN should take this forum away from encouraging us to using it, and not OS X. </STRONG>
Missing nouns furthermore verbs you wishing understand way , and flame-bait not ........so

<caught in two nightmares>
May 10, 2002, 03:31 AM

OS 9 is wonderful and the Big Feller is making a drastic mistake in dumping it in the near future.

Nobody will want to use an unintuitive operating system like X, laden with bugs that its lovers refuse to acknowledge.

If only they had pushed the limits of 9. Now Apple stands a chance of going under as people will migrate to XP - a better, yet still unpalatable choice. What will the true believers do when Mac goes under, like: sorry folks but you are now unsupported. Pretty nervy for the 5% of the pc market to play with fire. Old-time mac users for the most part resent X.

To hell with learning code!

in between

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2002, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by &lt;caught in two nightmares&gt;:
<STRONG>Nobody will want to use an unintuitive operating system like X, laden with bugs that its lovers refuse to acknowledge.</STRONG>
I'm not really sure why I'm bothering to reply, but I doubt you will find a single OS X-user who won't acknowledge the bugs. I know I do. But if its benefits far outweigh its shortcomings, I'd be stupid *not* to use it.

And btw, "intuitive" implies *no* previous knowledge/habit - it thus mostly applies to people new to a system adapt to the interface organization. OS X is different from OS 9, but it is in fact *FAR* more intuitive.
I've refrained from recommending Macs as newbie-machines since around OS 9 (been using Macs since 1988 myself), since that really is quite arcane (extension conflict? out of memory? wtf?), and most newbies have made a passing acquiantance with Windows and know at least one person who can help them out.

OS X 10.1.4 is the first Mac OS I've begun recommending again, though I'm quick to point out that there are a few annoying bugs.

<STRONG>If only they had pushed the limits of 9.</STRONG>
They did. Actually, they were stretching the *System 7* limits so far that they came --&gt;this&lt;-- close to snapping in OS 9. Instead, I did eventually. I simply refused to install anything anymore. After eight years of extension troubleshooting and ResEdit, I couldn't take it any more.

<STRONG>Now Apple stands a chance of going under as people will migrate to XP - a better, yet still unpalatable choice. What will the true believers do when Mac goes under, like: sorry folks but you are now unsupported. Pretty nervy for the 5% of the pc market to play with fire. Old-time mac users for the most part resent X.</STRONG>
It's really odd - I consider myself an old-time Mac user, and I find myself having to do so much *less* arcane hacking and troubleshooting under OS X than under OS 9...
OS X is much truer to the Old-Time Mac Idea than any Mac OS since System 7 ever was.

Ever need to explain memory management under OS 9 to a newbie? I had to when a friend who had *plenty* of RAM kept getting "out of memory" errors in IE. Extension management? These things are a major embarrassment, and they can't be explained as "yeah, I know, but that's a bug that will be gone in the next update".

OS X is *much* simpler for the end user.

<STRONG>To hell with learning code!</STRONG>
What you seem to be missing is that all that code is there in OS 9 as well, OS X just makes it accessible to ordinary people who WANT TO.

My friend with the G4 iMac and 10.1.4 has never even SEEN the Terminal.

-spheric*

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 06:56 AM

Wow, you guys sure are negative.

I still use OS 9 a little bit every day, but I spend 90% of my time in X. The stability, the smoothness are great. I love being able to surf the web, listen to Quicktime and encode a file with iTunes all at the same time without any skipping or interruptions (or crashes). The speed of transferring files by network, the speed of connecting to another Mac, the speed of Applescript are all wonderful improvements.

OS 9 (and precursors) were very good. I used them since about System 4 on a 512K Mac. OS X is not complete yet. There are definitely issues yet to be adequately addressed. However, OS X truly has some wonderful aspects and it is the future.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
May 10, 2002, 01:52 PM

I think it is a bit early to declare OS 9 dead from a consumer's stand point. Yes, Steve Jobs said it was, but that was from the perspective of a developer. Don't forget that Jaguar hasn't been released yet, so we are actually living in a era "pre-job's speech".

The fact is- a vast majority of Mac users still use OS 9. Period. So what is so dead about it now?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules