Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > restoring iphoto library question

restoring iphoto library question
bighill
Forum Regular
May 31, 2007, 09:43 AM

Hi,

I just put in a new hard drive as my less than a year old seagate died. (so much for them being so great)

I have my photo library on a partition called PHOTOS. When I open iphoto, it says can't find library do you want to locate. It points itself to my photo drive and thats where I get lost. What do I point it to to put back all my Albums, Keywords, etc??

Do I lose all my settings or is there a way to put them back?

Thanks for reading.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 10:16 AM

Unless there is great evil afoot in your hard drive, you should just navigate to your "iPhoto Library" folder. Here is what is confusing... the button says "Open" which implies that you should choose a file to open. But you are not actually opening a file, you are opening access to the iPhoto Library folder. It is very counterintuitive.

bighill  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2007, 10:52 AM

and when I do click open nothing happens.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 11:34 AM

How many files called "libraryX.iphoto" do you have in your iPhoto Library folder? The files can be just plain old "library.iPhoto" or "library8.iphoto"

bighill  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2007, 01:03 PM

Got it, I needed to double click on iphoto library and THEN click open. Very confusing.
Thanks so much for your help. I had this nightmare vision of having to redo over 5,000
pictures.

Thanks again,
Bill

Forum Links
Forum Rules