Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > NEW LED MacBook Pro Displays - Will You Wait?

NEW LED MacBook Pro Displays - Will You Wait? (Page 2)
brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 07:05 PM

Mind you, there's still a whole lot of 2007 left...
Linkinus is king.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 07:12 PM

I have a feeling it's going to be iMacs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 07:44 PM

Sure I will wait as I'm not in the market for a new Mac.

artsea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Mind you, there's still a whole lot of 2007 left...
I don't think Steve was caught up in the whole Apple is green thing and spoke without thinking...there is no way he would have mentioned LCD backlight if it wasn't imminent. For all practical purposes, sales of MBP will crash as of today.

IMO, the 15" MBP will be first because the tech is new and expensive. Small device ,big price... Not enough price to start with the 13" MB and the screen is too big on iMacs, to start there.

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by artsea View Post
I don't think Steve was caught up in the whole Apple is green thing and spoke without thinking...there is no way he would have mentioned LCD backlight if it wasn't imminent. For all practical purposes, sales of MBP will crash as of today.

IMO, the 15" MBP will be first because the tech is new and expensive. Small device ,big price... Not enough price to start with the 13" MB and the screen is too big on iMacs, to start there.
You hit the nail on the head - Jobs/Apple have never been in the habit of announcing new features for existing product lines unless the release is imminent. I'm sure you can find exceptions to that rule, but it's not common.

As for the MBP being first... I have to wonder if it's going to be in this rumored 15" MacBook first. If they do release such a laptop, I'll be looking at it closely as an alternative to the MBP, you have to wonder if such a release would cannibalize 15" MBP sales.

Anyway, I hope it's the MBP, because if it is, I'll be all over that baby like Oprah on a glazed ham.
"We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang?"

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 11:12 AM

Appleinsider's recent article states many advantages to LED displays:

"In addition to being more environmentally friendly than CCFLs, LED technology is more efficient at distributing lighting evenly across the entire display surface and offers an increase in color saturation. It also consumes less power, runs cooler, and lasts longer than CCFLs."

But they left out an important one: Durability. The transition to LED is great news for you clumsy oafs who keep dropping your MBPs. An LED display is much more likely to survive being dropped than a CCFL display.

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2007, 10:56 AM

And the confimation of LEDs continues to pile up:

13, 15-inch MacBooks to get LEDs?

Hmmmm, no mention of the new larger MacBook model. Perhaps all those rumors are much ado about nothing? Or maybe the 15.4" panels could be purposed for both the MBP and the new rumored larger MB? Will be interesting to see.

Can't wait for that new LED MBP!!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 05:52 AM

ThinkSecret claims LED backlight MBPs will be announced June 11.

"Apple placed its first order in mid-April looking for in excess of 100,000 15.4-inch LED backlight displays. The call went out to a number of LED backlight display manufacturers, including Samsung.
Apple's order for the displays called on a delivery schedule of mid May, sources say. Based on Apple's standard schedule that is has used in the past, it would allow for a three to four week window to manufacture and ship. That would coincide with Jobs' keynote address on Monday, June 11th in San Francisco where Apple is likely to announce a new MacBook Pro using a LED backlight display."

tmelcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 07:29 AM

I purchased a new MacBook Pro early last August, so I don't plan on purchasing a new notebook computer for at least another two years, but I, have to say, I do like the promise of these LED displays.

When I upgrade my technology, I like it to be more than just merely "cranking up the specs," so to speak. That's why the iPhone is so appealing to me--rather than just getting a new phone that does the same stuff just better, the iPhone strives to do new things as well.

Thus I'm really hoping for NAND Robeson cache technology (or maybe even full-fledged flash drives), LED displays, and other things between now and when I make my next upgrade.

Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2007, 10:03 PM

I just sold my 1.67GHz PowerBook, so I'm going to try and hold out a month or so and wait to see if the new MBPs are released on 6/11. It's going to be a long 30 days, but I use my G5 PowerMac for most of my work/play regardless.
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Live View Post
I just sold my 1.67GHz PowerBook, so I'm going to try and hold out a month or so and wait to see if the new MBPs are released on 6/11. It's going to be a long 30 days, but I use my G5 PowerMac for most of my work/play regardless.
I'm in exactly the same boat, but I've been "adrift" for longer than a month! It actually hasn't been too bad, I've been borrowing my daughter's beat up hand-me-down old Pismo when I'm desperate for something to take on a business trip. Those Pismos are great old machines, using it again makes me appreciate what a great job Apple did with that design.

Regarding the MBP release, perhaps you'll only have to wait one more day:

Laptop updates slated to arrive sooner than expected

But I think that would be a longshot - probably minis being updated, but I'm going to cross my fingers anyway.

That's quite a contrast of websites that you've got featured on your portfolio there... an HVAC company, and 14KTDivas. Gee... I wonder which site was more enjoyable to work on?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2007, 03:30 PM

I sold my 1.67 PowerBook for $1200 about a year ago. I've been using an old 400Mhz G4 tower since then. Waiting for the LED backlight MacBook Pro.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I sold my 1.67 PowerBook for $1200 about a year ago. I've been using an old 400Mhz G4 tower since then. Waiting for the LED backlight MacBook Pro.
No offense, but that sounds like a rather silly thing to do. Why did you even buy it in the first place if you were happy using your 400 G4?

I'm rather excited about LED Macbook pros. My 12in Powerbook just turned 3 years old, and its warranty just ran out. I'm very much thrilled about the next revision Macbook Pro and hope they do a nice, big, geek inspiring upgrade. Graphics card, processor, LED, coffee holder, ect ect ect.

Good times to be had by all. (Plus better battery life and my not waiting forever for my computer to handle all my photos in iPhoto)

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 09:24 PM

HOLEY CRAP!

I've just received my my new MBP 15.4", and the screen is... drum roll please...

SPECTACULAR!

Good gravy, I have never seen a screen so bright, and so clear, and so sharp. There is NOT A HINT of the problems that plagued the previous model displays. NO GRAIN. NO SPARKLE. NO DARK CORNERS. NO UNEVENNESS.

Just plain gorgeous. Gorgeous. This was defintely worth the wait.

BTW, I've got the glossy - just for the sake of change. I've only been using it for a few hours, but I don't notice any problems with glare.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is closed! Halleluljah!

bighill
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2007, 10:28 PM

i just got a 2.16 ghz refurb macbook pro and i don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.
this thing is beautiful.

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2007, 12:58 PM

Well, it's been 4 months since I got my new LED 15.4" MBP, and I'm still very happy with it. The display is gorgeous, and overall the machine kicks ass. A few issues to note though:
  • I'm not seeing any gains in battery life as opposed to my old G4 Powerbook. In fact, it doesn't match my old 1.33 GHz G4. While the LED panel likely consumes less power, I suspect the fact that this machine throws off more heat accounts for the greater energy consumption.
  • the ambient light sensor doesn't work well. I turn it off because of the screen flicker that it causes. It seems that the sensor can't "decide" how brightly to illuminate the screen for the conditions, so it keeps adjusting. So I just control the screen brightness myself.
  • What's up with the fan running all the time? It's a VERY quiet machine, but my G4 powerbook was completely silent most of the time with no fan running at all. I think they still have a long way to go when it comes to cooling technology. I suspect that's where all the battery life is going - running the stupid fan.

Other than those minor concerns, I'm very happy with my purchase and glad I waited for the LED screens to debut. For anyone going through the same thing right now considering the purchase of a 17" model, I definitely recommend waiting if you can - these new screens are pretty awesome.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks for doing an update, after 4 months you have a better clue than after just unboxing it (although those stories are nice too).

I just ordered a MBP as replacement for my nearly 5 year old TiBook... I'm very curious to see what battery life and fan noise will do. Especially in terms of heat does my current totally s*ck! It's dubbed "windtunnel" by Eug for a reason
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

NeutrinoMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 07:49 PM

I thought I would give another update after 7 months of use. The LED 15.4" MBP has been used heavily ever since I got it and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Some notes:
  • been running windows XP for awhile via parallels (screw Vista!) and it absolutely smokes - better than on a PC!
  • battery life improved greatly after applying the MBP battery update. I'm very happy with the battery life now, but keep in mind, you've got to keep the LED screen at pretty low illumination - if you put it on high, it'll suck that battery dry faster than an the old CCFL displays
  • for some strange reason the battery update also seemed to affect the fan too - it runs much less now - still more than my old aluminum G4 powerbook, but most of the time it's generally silent.

So again, these LED macbook Pros are, as far as I'm concerned, amazing machines - it does everything I ask with no glitches. Kudos, Apple!

ps. What's with that Macbook Air? Seems pretty lame to me - but I notice it has the LED screen, so that's a plus in my book!

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2008, 08:23 PM

I'm glad to hear you've had a good notebook there! I'm waiting for my tax return, and hopefully Apple will unleash the new MBP line before I can hit the "Buy Now" link!

I started reading this thread, not noticing it started over a year ago, so you can imagine the ::slaps forehead:: factor when I realized it!

By the way, all of you owners are making me pretty much frigging jealous with all your MB and MBP talk!
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2008, 09:25 PM

Yeah...I totally read 10 posts in, thinking, "...Didn't they already have LED backlighting...?" before I realized it was from Jan....of '07. D'oh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules