Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro rather than Mac Pro ?

MacBook Pro rather than Mac Pro ?
utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 05:56 PM

I don't want to buy / build a regular PC since I started working with Mac ..

Anyhow ... I work a lot with virtual PCs (need at least 4 GB Ram) and fancy to create / compile DVDs as well. Therefore I wanted to get a Mac Pro in the first place... However, I also fancy a nice game from time to time and the current GFX just don't cut it.... So I almost trashed the idea of having a Mac again since Apple doesn't seem to work on an upgrade there.

Then I stumbled across the MacBook Pro range (never really checked them - using a MacBook now) and saw it has a 8600 build in ...

Can I assume that I would be better of using a MacBook Pro with external Screen instead of using the Mac Pro ?
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

bighill
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 06:33 PM

Apple is getting back into the games game so its safe to assume that Mac Pro's will have better
video options in the future. How near is another question, but if you can hold out, a Mac Pro would
be my choice.

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 19, 2007, 09:55 PM

FYI: Some Santa Rosa MacBook Pro vs Mac Pro gaming comparison tests here:
MacBook Pro "Santa Rosa" - 3D Gaming

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 10:19 PM

How would you be better off using a MBP with external screen than a Mac Pro? With a MBP the best video card you can get is the 256MB 8600GT, if you buy a Mac Pro you would have several graphics card options:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $149]
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $249]
3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $299]
4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $449]
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $1649]

If you want a laptop, can't spend over $2,500, and won't need the expandability, then I would go with a Macbook Pro. A Mac Pro would be alot better for gaming, as the link above points out, but the choice is yours. You just have to think about what you want in a computer and how long you will need it to last.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus View Post
How would you be better off using a MBP with external screen than a Mac Pro? With a MBP the best video card you can get is the 256MB 8600GT, if you buy a Mac Pro you would have several graphics card options:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $149]
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $249]
3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $299]
4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $449]
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $1649]

If you want a laptop, can't spend over $2,500, and won't need the expandability, then I would go with a Macbook Pro. A Mac Pro would be alot better for gaming, as the link above points out, but the choice is yours. You just have to think about what you want in a computer and how long you will need it to last.
I'm a bit confused by your reply. Maybe I'm just uninformed...but isn't the 8600GT a superior GPU than all of the above-listed options available for the MacPro? (granted, they have 512MB vram options...but still, those are dated cards)

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
I'm a bit confused by your reply. Maybe I'm just uninformed...but isn't the 8600GT a superior GPU than all of the above-listed options available for the MacPro? (granted, they have 512MB vram options...but still, those are dated cards)
You are right, just because the card has more vram doesn't make a card faster .. It depends how many pipes it has etc. and the 8600 IS superior ..you won't get a faster gfx just because you stick four cards in it .. the reason for the 2, 3 or 4 card option is to connect more than one screen to it ... IF you could SLI them that would be a different story, but even then .. the 7600 is compared to the 8600 old ...

Oh and the quadro is not really meant for playing ...

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html
Nobody argues that the "hard core" gamer wanting the Mac with the most frames per second possible will choose the Mac Pro tower with the Radeon X1900 XT -- still the "Top Gun." But if he/she wants good gaming performance on the road, the newest MacBook Pro is the way to go.
I think this is what i was trying to say.

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2007, 08:48 AM

Nice link, although they using games which are also pretty old or at least not the resource hungry ... I can play UT 2004 even with onboard GFX on my MacBook ... Mmmm.... Well, I don't know - I MIGHT have to wait a few month now anyway before I can buy a new Mac as I might move abroad ... so enough time to see if something is changing there ...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 01:42 PM

You're going to buy a Macbook Pro as a gaming machine simply because the CURRENT graphics card in the Mac Pro isn't the latest graphics card?!? YOU do realize 1) that you can't update the graphics card in a laptop, but you can in the Mac Pro, 2) the Macbook Pro uses a mobile version of the 8600GT, not the desktop version, so it's going to be slower than it's desktop version. AT least in a Mac Pro you can update the graphics card when a newer card comes out.

As for SLI in the Mac Pro, we know it's doable in windows, so it's a matter of Apple/Nvidia updating their drivers for MacOS X.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 07:17 PM

I'd go with the MacPro if you're looking to strictly plays games.

the barefeats benchmark benchmark that I saw shows the MacPro just crushing the MBP in games and that makes sense. So the MBP has a new GPU, it still doesn't stack up to the speed and bandwidth of its desktop counterparts and being a MacPro you can throw in any new graphics card you wished. With the MBP you're kind of locked in.

While the MBP's GPU is a great step in the right direction, I question the use of it as a games machine. Kind of pricey and not really designed for that application. It will work but the desktop would be better imho

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 08:04 PM

8600M GT is faster than 7300GT, but slower than X1900XT.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2007, 09:44 PM

ahhhhhh i don't get it!

utw-Mephisto  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
You're going to buy a Macbook Pro as a gaming machine simply because the CURRENT graphics card in the Mac Pro isn't the latest graphics card?!? YOU do realize 1) that you can't update the graphics card in a laptop, but you can in the Mac Pro, 2) the Macbook Pro uses a mobile version of the 8600GT, not the desktop version, so it's going to be slower than it's desktop version. AT least in a Mac Pro you can update the graphics card when a newer card comes out.

As for SLI in the Mac Pro, we know it's doable in windows, so it's a matter of Apple/Nvidia updating their drivers for MacOS X.
I didn't buy anything yet, just asked for advise ...

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
ahhhhhh i don't get it!
Then ... don't

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 08:23 AM

I think if you don't need the mobility that the MBP provides and you are looking for gpu performance the MacPro is the better choice. All around a faster computer and you have the ability to increase the storage internally.

I have the Macpro and its an awesome machine, especially if you upgrade to the x1900xt.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
Can I assume that I would be better of using a MacBook Pro with external Screen instead of using the Mac Pro ?
If you need real computing power at a low cost go for the Mac Pro
and stay away from MBP's

Best Regards

Forum Links
Forum Rules