Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > thinkin about a refurb

thinkin about a refurb
bighill
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2008, 10:47 PM

why wouldn't you do this?
the stock 2.66 macpro with 1 gig of ram, 250 gig HD and the shitty
video card...$1999.00 refurbished, free shipping. thats $500.00 off what it was and
$800.00 less then the new M.P. plus the ram is cheaper to add then the new machines.
the only thing holding me back is when and if you will have decent options to upgrade the video card.

I've been waiting for the new machines like everyone has but I didn't expect
the prices to go UP. almost three grand for a new tower is too much for me.

gimmie some feedback people.
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 11:10 PM

That's still a lotta computer. If you don't have to have the fastest in the land, or 32 GB of RAM, then why not? I've bought 3 refurbs in a row, and they've been indistinguishable from new machines. Plus, maybe you'll with the random upgrade lottery. Timo got an extra gig of RAM in his refurb, and other folks around here have gotten extra RAM or bigger hard drives as well. Not likely, but there's a chance.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2008, 11:30 PM

My last couple of towers have been refurbs. I'm happy.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 28, 2008, 08:43 AM

Thats what I paid for a 2ghz mac pro refurb last year. Apple must have dropped the price because I looked a week ago and they were going for 2100. I'm getting ready to swap out the processors to a octo soon. I'd say go for it. Put 8gb of ram and you'll have a smokin machine.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 02:08 PM

Refurbs are great if one will not need the substantial additional performance of a 2008 MP over the next few years of a new box's life cycle. There is a big difference between the performance of stock 2006 4-core and stock 2008 8-core MPs. Tests at
CPU crunch tests - Mac Pro "2008" vs others

I recommend refurbished when the specs meet someone's needs.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 28, 2008 at 02:17 PM. )

xxAlanHxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 02:47 PM

How long will it be until the latest Quad core machines become available as refubs?

Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 02:52 PM

For the record... The old Mac Pros can take just as much RAM as the new ones- Up to 64 GB. It's just that when the old ones were released, the max that could fit was 16 GB because there were only 8 sots and the largest RAM sticks were 2 GBs. Now the largest RAM sticks are 4 GB, so it can take up to 32. As soon as RAM gets larger, you can take it up to 64.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 03:41 PM

I almost always buy refurb. I've bought 2 MacBooks, 1 MacBook Pro, 2 iPods and an iPhone ... all refurb and never a problem. However my 3 yr. old Powerbook bought new is in the throes of death.

bighill  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the input guy's. I went ahead and got it. I got applecare with it for $199.
You gotta love doing it over the phone, they have deals if you ask for them.

The first mac I ever bought was my dual 800 quicksilver that I'm on right now. While not a refurb,
I bought it at a discount from Smalldog right after the Dual Mirror Doors or whatever they are called were released. It lasted me 6 plus years, so I can get some mileage out of a machine.

As soon as I get word that it has shipped, I'll order a bunch of ram. Looking at OWC unless anybody
has a better idea.

Thanks again.
Bill
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2008, 06:38 PM

Good choice!!! Enjoy.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules