Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerMac 7300 loses prefs at startup

PowerMac 7300 loses prefs at startup
esther316
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2001, 03:49 PM

I have a PowerMac 7300 that is acting nuts. It has a few problems but my question is why it resets the date to 1956 at startup and also resets my AppleTalk configuration to connect via Printer Port rather than Ethernet. It is running OS 8.6. I turn it off over night and when it starts up the next morning it is usually VERY loud. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Is it possible it is automatically resetting the PRAM or something crazy like that? I know zapping the PRAM deletes preferences such as AppleTalk. Sometimes when it freezes during the day I am forced to restart the machine...and sometimes it is loud like in the morning but usually it is much quieter and the date and Appletalk sometimes even stay set correctly. Just during the day though.

Does anybody know why its doing this? Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2001, 03:42 AM

You are partially right about the PRAM, it is resetting every time you shut down. Ths solution is simple, you need a new PRAM battery. Yours is very much dead.

According to GURU, your 7300 requires a 3.6v lithium battery. Replace that and you will be in business again.

esther316  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2001, 04:22 PM

Thanks so much! I'll look into getting that battery right away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules