Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8600 w G3 OSX & 10.1.3 upgrade

8600 w G3 OSX & 10.1.3 upgrade
stmoddell
Feb 20, 2002, 03:15 AM

So I've got this 8600 up and runing with a G3 upgrade card. My past experience with upgrading using software update has been successful, except when doing 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 upgrades, using the software update installer. So I'm looking long and hard at doing the 10.1.3 upgrade.

Has anyone done this upgrade with the upgrade card still in and using software updater?

thnx

If its already broken, how can I mess it up by trying to fix it?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 10:54 AM

Well, I ran the update last night on my G4DP533 and my 8500/G3-400mHz. Updates went without any major hitches.

I had one kernel panic during the optimizing phase on the 8500. I restarted and the second try went without a hitch. Works like a charm. The 8500 is entirely suitable as a file/web/mp3 server. I run the QuicktimeStreamingServer and it does everything just great.

But, I have been having occasional kernel panics for some time now, and I've attributed it to this 'unsupported' machine. I have two non-standard items in it that may be causing this. First, I have an Adaptec2940u2w. This is an unsupported card, and I will never boot from it, but it mounts the drives connected to it fine (although I am beginning to suspect this is the cause of my random panics which seem to be when I am accessing the drives connected to this card).

The other nonstandard item is an Asante10/100 Fast Ethernet card (the ND edition-was bundled with NetDoubler software) that I've installed their drivers. Their tech support suggested it was older cabling that made this card DOG slow with netaccess enough to time out connections with filesharing. I suspect its using this card on unsupported hardware, and I'll troubleshoot the lines for the rest of my machines at a later date. I'm sure the machines I'm trying to talk with have Cat-5 rated cables, but there may be some older cable on a different port.

Any suggestions to these issues? The updater itself worked just fine though.

stmoddell  (op)
Feb 20, 2002, 05:27 PM

My suggestions for finding out if the Adaptec card is causing panics would be to pull the card and run for a while with out them. I don't have an extra SCSI card, and I haven't seen a panic in normal usage, yet.

On the 10/100 card, I would look at the error logs. If you see a bunch of collision errors, and retransmissions I would suspect two things. That the card is not running at full 100 duplex, and that the cables are bad. Both of these would make it dog slow. I honestly don't know where in OSX the logging for the card would go, or even if it would be turned on by default. However, if you are running into a switch with any kind of sophistication, that would be able to log this info for the port that the machine runs into. Lastly, If you have looked at the close cables to the machine, and they are new and fine, then cables more downstream should affect all machines above them.

I would force the card to 100 full duplex. How to do that... I'm not certain, but I saw it discussed on one of these forums. http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=007530 http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=003644 http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=001086
maybe that will help
If its already broken, how can I mess it up by trying to fix it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules