Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apparent changes in System suitcase?!?

Apparent changes in System suitcase?!?
Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2000, 01:27 PM

Hey, there,

I make periodic backups of my HD using Retrospect Express--which, by the way is a fantastic product--and the program does incremental backups by default, copying only the files that have changed since the last backup.

Occasionally, the "System" suitcase is backed-up, as though it had been changed, and I wondering what normal, day-to-day procedures change that particular file. Certainly, it must be involved in most everything that goes on with the machine, right? If so, why does it not get marked for back-up every time?

Thanks,
Storyboy

PS: I am posting this to the MacOS forum, because it does not see to be a question limited to my use of Retrospect. Please re-direct me if there is a better place.

------------------
"The only consistant people I know are dead."

iMac DVSE 400/128/13
OS 9.0.4
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2000, 03:05 PM

Yes the System suitcase is modified during normal use. It is not limited to using any particular application such as Retrospect. Why this happens though I do not know. Hopefully someone else will have that answer.

snippet-pacoman
Dec 28, 2000, 08:51 AM

Hi,

The system file is modified tons during normal operation. Files looking for this that and the other thing modify it. Unfortunatly, they all make minor damages to it, after a year the system will probably break down. Thats why most people reccomend reinstalling the system every 6 months.

Matthew, www.totallymac.8m.com

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2000, 01:58 PM

The system suitcase is a normal program. It contains/holds data in what we call the resources and these resources get modified and overwritten all the time. The modified resources are parameters necessary for the inner working of the system. So all this is normal.

You'll be able to sleep well from now on.

[This message has been edited by SillyPooh (edited 12-28-2000).]

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2000, 04:52 PM

Page Setup and Desktop Printers cause modifications. Which are picked up by ResEdit and by Conflict Catcher and reported as minor errors - which should be fixed and if left alone will cause problems. I replace the system file form a copy of clean install kept as a disk image file (read-write and 100MB free so I can still run Apple updates to keep it current).

Forum Links
Forum Rules