Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Transferring Hard Drive Data

Transferring Hard Drive Data
peted
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2002, 10:31 AM

I have a G4 450 with two internal ATA hard drives. A 40 with OS9 and a 20. I want to reformat the 20 for OS9 and transfer the contents of the 40 to it. I want it to be a duplicate. System, applications and files. I am then going to reformat the 40 for OSX and OS9. What is the best way to do this without losing any of the contents?
Thanks

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2002, 08:03 AM

If you have Toast you could make a Disc image of your 20 GB drive. Use the 'Mac Drive' option (in Toast Titanium) and then save the Disc image to your 40. That should capture all of the files.

Brad

Fredo
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 01:49 PM

Format the 20gb drive, and boot into OS9. Bring up the 40gb drive icon on to the desktop . Open and compare each drive, and drag files from the 40 to the 20. Of course, you can't put in more than 20gb (19, 1k = 1024).
This may be a somewhat laborious process, but it will work. You need to use good sense, and only replace duplicate files if newer ones are available.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules