Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal and google Calendar

iCal and google Calendar
Sakino
Senior User
Apr 20, 2006, 11:04 PM

I was wondering if there was anyway to sync iCal and google calendar. I understand you can export your current calendar to google, and also share the google calendar with iCal.
But from my understanding if I were to edit events with iCal, they would not be updated on Google Calendar. Is there anyway around this?

Basically I want everything to be synced, that means if I update iCal it updates google. If I update google, it update iCal. Is this possible? If not will they implement thsi in teh future?

Thanks

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 11:11 PM

You cannot sync b/w the two as of yet.......hopefully in the future.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2006, 12:51 PM

Hopefully they will release something in the future, because the way it is setup right now you need to totally depend on googles calendar for the setup stuff. Sometimes its a lot easier just going to iCal and setting it up.

bborofka
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2006, 02:13 PM

Unfortunately, the only synchronizing iCal supports is with .Mac. You can publish your iCals to your own WebDAV server, and you can subscribe to other people's calendars (read-only), but there's no way to sync them with another source.

Apple really needs to add sync ability to iCal outside of .Mac, especially to our own servers (if we have them). This is the only way we'd be able to keep iCal in sync with Google Calendar. It'd be really nice if iCal could sync Calendars and To Dos with Exchange. Then I'd have no reason to use Entourage.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 04:12 AM

Rehashing this thread from the dead.

As things stand (without 3rd party software like Spanning Sync), you can use Google Calendar to enter/delete/edit your calendar items and subscribe to those calendars in iCal. Then iCal is essentially a read only application. All changes are made online.

Or you can use iCal as it was intended, then export your calendars to Google Calendar. The catch being, every time you make a change, you have to re-export. Then Google Calendar is essentially a read only web app. All changes are made locally.

So... which is safer? Has Google ever lost your calendars or have they ever turned up corrupted? With iCal, they're synced to .Mac for safekeeping, but if you sync a subscribed calendar, you'd just be syncing the corrupted data, right?

Is the chance of a catastrophic failure greater or less using Google Calendar?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2007, 04:50 AM

Is the chance of a catastrophic failure greater or less using Google Calendar?
Very good question. I don't have the answer. A couple of weeks ago my iCal calenders somehow got corrupted, all the caleners moved around colours changed and data missing (strangely enough all my addrees book numbers went missing at the same time - numeric data only).
Anyway I only noticed it on my work iMAc after it had synced!! so although I had backed up the calander entirely a month before, something I do manually every month - I still lost plenty!!

Off topic slightly but the only thing I can think may have effected the apps was installing Quicksilver.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 08:50 AM

GCALDaemon - Project Home

Open source, free, good.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
GCALDaemon - Project Home

Open source, free, good.
Hellooo Nurse!

Wish they had some OS X screenshots though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules