Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Approximately when will next MBP be released and will it have a better processor?

Approximately when will next MBP be released and will it have a better processor?
sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 01:47 PM

I think I may finally be ready to buy a new MBP. I'm not sure Intel has a better processor for it than the core duo 2 since I have been reading about all kinds of new Intel processors lately and am confused as to what is going where. (It seems like Intel has something new every quarter or two. Not used to this after PPC processor releases.)

So, if anybody knows if the MBP may be getting an even better Intel chip in the near future, please respond so I have an idea of when to buy.

Thanks to all who answer.

Mark

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2006, 02:02 PM

Core 2 Duo for laptops will definately be available in August, and may be (according to the latest rumors) released this month. It's about 20-30% faster at the same clockrate compared to the current Core Duo chips in the MacBook Pro. It's an easy drop-in upgrade for Apple to do, so I expect upgraded Macs will be available almost immediately (within weeks of release).

sc_markt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Core 2 Duo for laptops will definately be available in August, and may be (according to the latest rumors) released this month. It's about 20-30% faster at the same clockrate compared to the current Core Duo chips in the MacBook Pro. It's an easy drop-in upgrade for Apple to do, so I expect upgraded Macs will be available almost immediately (within weeks of release).
Thanks mduell.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by sc_markt
(It seems like Intel has something new every quarter or two. Not used to this after PPC processor releases.)

Mark
Quite true, and expect it to continue. You can get a good general idea of where Intel (and hence Apple) is going by reading the rumors websites and following Intel's processor roadmaps.

The first round of MBPs are very good, but IMO for folks needing the strongest pro configurations it will have been worth the wait for the August-September Merom-based laptops.

For consumers I am also expecting something new to happen as regards small size and/or lower end lower price this fall or sooner, because the full range of Intel's laptop chips has not yet been exploited.

-Allen Wicks

lizardgator
Jul 24, 2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Yes but the big question is will Apple drop the Core 2 Duo chip into the current MacBook Pro or put it in a newly designed case. As nice as the MacBook Pro is the design is a little long in the tooth. It's time for a new case.

sc_markt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by lizardgator
Yes but the big question is will Apple drop the Core 2 Duo chip into the current MacBook Pro or put it in a newly designed case. As nice as the MacBook Pro is the design is a little long in the tooth. It's time for a new case.
When the first MacBookPro's were shown to the public, it looked to me like the case was darker and I liked the way it looked until I found out it was the picture and not the case

Mark

masugu
Senior User
Jul 24, 2006, 11:28 PM

I think the look of the MBP AND the desktop (to be announced at the developer forum 8/7 will "match" They should keep the MBP significantly different from the MacBooks...so likely no black...

Question in my mind is will they revamp the monitors as well - or let them lag before an update like they did with the acrylic 1st gen Cinema Displays.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2006, 01:28 AM

i think they have a good thing going with the aluminum, so i exspect that they'll stay with it. a re-design of the MBP isn't impractical just look at the PB Ti changed to Aluminum. so i think it's basically if steve feel's like saying "TA DA, it's made out of pure Carbon!" (yes that was a joke). if anything i think we'll see the MBP screen getting the extra 60 pixels back they'll probably do a little re-arranging of the internals of the iSight. i don't know if they can go any thinner on the MBP i think thats reached it's limit. We'll see Steve is Clinically insane, and thats what makes this such a great company because you never know what he's planning. kinda like the mad hatter! (no steve jobs is not actually clinically insane)

flukewurm
Jul 25, 2006, 09:27 PM

aluminum dents. thats not cool.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2006, 09:41 PM

Not only may Apple update its processor but lets not forget about the video card. The X1600 is getting old.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2006, 03:29 AM

I was reading on some rumor site somewhere about how the upgrade path for the Mac Pro desktops is going to be pretty aggressive (ie a lot more frequent than before), since, they now use more PC standard Intel chips. Makes sense to keep up with Intel as they release speed bumps.

I hope we see this with the laptops.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

pinktank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 01:41 PM

They'll ditch x1600 because intel is announcing that it will not work with ati anymore since Amd-ati joined in a heavenly embrace

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by pinktank
They'll ditch x1600 because intel is announcing that it will not work with ati anymore
Complete nonsense. Both parties have announced that ATi chipsets and graphics card will continue to work with Intel chips and platforms.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 07:17 AM

Wait - Intel has said that they won't be renewing their ATi chipset bus licenses. What does that mean?

In other news,

Intel RELEASES CORE 2 DUO
While Intel has already begun shipping desktop Core 2 Duo chips to computer makers, most systems won't reach consumers until next week. The first Core 2 Duo desktops will reach users in early August, with Core 2 Duo laptops arriving by the end of the month, Intel said, noting that Core 2 Extreme systems are already available.

Sakino
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Wait - Intel has said that they won't be renewing their ATi chipset bus licenses. What does that mean?

In other news,

Intel RELEASES CORE 2 DUO
Notice that the desktop version will be out in time for the keynotes. So I would expect to see an updated version of the PowerMac. As for the MacBook update, I don't see them releasing an updated intel core 2 duo at the developers convention. They might hint at it, but I think Steve has far to much to talk about: PowerMac update, nano update, new OS, bootcamp, etc? These are all speculations but I highly doubt he would want to move the focus away from their desktop line up. This would give apple some time to fix some of the underlying issues that we seen with the MacBook, if they have not already done so. Also probably prepare for large number of sales. I think with intel breaking ATI ties, Apple will be looking for a new videocard also.

These are all ideas, but with intel stating that the moble version of the intel core 2 duo not being released till later in August, I think apple will focus on more important things. Expect to see a usual Tuesday update later in August.

On a side note. I too want to see an update as I am running on a AL PB 1.67. My World of Warcraft experience has been kind of lacking with 2GB of ram. So I been waiting for the core 2 duos to come out, this will be my next purchase.

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sakino
Notice that the desktop version will be out in time for the keynotes. So I would expect to see an updated version of the PowerMac. As for the MacBook update, I don't see them releasing an updated intel core 2 duo at the developers convention. They might hint at it, but I think Steve has far to much to talk about: PowerMac update, nano update, new OS, bootcamp, etc? These are all speculations but I highly doubt he would want to move the focus away from their desktop line up. This would give apple some time to fix some of the underlying issues that we seen with the MacBook, if they have not already done so. Also probably prepare for large number of sales. I think with intel breaking ATI ties, Apple will be looking for a new videocard also.

These are all ideas, but with intel stating that the moble version of the intel core 2 duo not being released till later in August, I think apple will focus on more important things. Expect to see a usual Tuesday update later in August.

On a side note. I too want to see an update as I am running on a AL PB 1.67. My World of Warcraft experience has been kind of lacking with 2GB of ram. So I been waiting for the core 2 duos to come out, this will be my next purchase.
Note that Apple CANNOT afford to let other Notebook manufacturers way too much ahead...Apple must and will update it's notebook line, as soon as possible! This one of the so-called virtues of switching CPU manufacturer! Intel is quite up to it...bringing new stuff out frequently! A lot's changed with this PPC<-> Intel swap! They must hold the candle

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Is anyone claiming that aside from The Inq?
DailyTech says:
Intel insiders have confirmed to DailyTech that the license for ATI to manufacture chipsets for the Intel bus has not been revoked. ATI's board of directors recently approved a takeover bid from AMD which would make ATI a division of AMD if approved.

Sakino
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Screwball
Note that Apple CANNOT afford to let other Notebook manufacturers way too much ahead...Apple must and will update it's notebook line, as soon as possible! This one of the so-called virtues of switching CPU manufacturer! Intel is quite up to it...bringing new stuff out frequently! A lot's changed with this PPC<-> Intel swap! They must hold the candle
I understand that but Intel said they moble version will not be out until the end of August. I wouldn't expect them updating the macbook pro at WWDC, but later in the month via their website.

Thraxes
Jul 27, 2006, 08:44 PM

Intel revoking ATi's bus license has absolutely NOTHING to do with graphic cards and chips!! It refers to ATi's Intel compatible mainboard chipsets. To make those chipsets you need a license from Intel for the Front Side Bus Protocolls of their CPUs. Since hardly no OEMs actually use ATi chipsets the repercussions will be minimal/noexistant for HP, Dell, Apple, Lenovo & co.

OEMs can and will continue to use ATi graphics as those chips are only dependent on the PCIe bus which is an open standard. Just like many companies don't install Intel LAN and WLAN chips in their Notebooks - as Apple does, they actually use Marvell and Atheros. Additionaly since Intel doesn't make discreet GPUs, why should they b1tch about a company putting an ATi GPU into a System when they don't even make a suitable alternative?

Bottom line: Stop getting your knickers in a twist, the AMD-ATi merger won't change a thing for most Intel only OEMs like Dell, Apple and Lenovo.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 09:34 PM

I understand that but Intel said they moble version will not be out until the end of August. I wouldn't expect them updating the macbook pro at WWDC, but later in the month via their website.
I'm afraid you missed the fact, that Intel officially announced the release of Merom today!
In fact Intel has been shipping mobile Core 2 Duo chips for 1 or 2 weeks now! So the manufacturers have already got the mobile chips at their disposal! What do you make of this?

Sakino
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 09:44 PM

I'm afraid you missed the fact, that Intel officially announced the release of Merom today!
In fact Intel has been shipping mobile Core 2 Duo chips for 1 or 2 weeks now! So the manufacturers have already got the mobile chips at their disposal! What do you make of this?
I read a number of articles stating they are shipping the desktop version of the chip, not the moble version.

Intel has been shipping production-ready Intel Core 2 Duo processors for all segments in advance. Initial Intel Core 2 Extreme processor-based systems are now available from system manufacturers, resellers and integrators, including Intel Channel Partner Program members. Intel Core 2 Duo desktop processor-based systems will be available beginning in early August. Intel Core 2 Duo processor-based notebooks will be available at the end of August.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/27/i...n-chip-lineup/

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6512

Sakino
Senior User
Jul 27, 2006, 09:46 PM

I read a number of articles stating they are shipping the desktop version of the chip, not the moble version.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/27/i...n-chip-lineup/

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6512

Also another note from PCMAG.com

Systems based on the new desktop chips will begin in early August; "Merom" based notebooks will ship near the end of that month. Customers with the coin to purchase a high-end Core 2 Extreme system can have it shipped today, Intel said.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1995005,00.asp

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 09:51 PM

Quote: " Intel is shipping Core 2 Duo Mobile chips (Merom) to manufacturers, according to recent Intel financial report." 21st July! Source: Macrumors! But you can also find it somewhere else, can't recall!

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 10:00 PM

So trust me...they've been shippin 'em chips for quite a while now! It's just that it wasn't disclosed! Merom MBPs are gonna be announced at WWDC, nonetheless, the machines themselves will only reach customers by the end of the month...i hope i finally made my point

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 01:05 PM

Officially they have been announced, but they wont be shipping (in volume) until late August.

Merom MBP in early September (i.e. Paris Expo)
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
Officially they have been announced, but they wont be shipping (in volume) until late August.

Merom MBP in early September (i.e. Paris Expo)
Maybe! Maybe not! If i were the head of a major company, i wouldn't have the intention of falling behind! But that is just my two cents

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thraxes
Intel revoking ATi's bus license has absolutely NOTHING to do with graphic cards and chips!! It refers to ATi's Intel compatible mainboard chipsets.
Again, Intel did not revoke ATi's bus license for Intel chips.

Intel has been shipping engineering samples to OEMs for a couple weeks; production volume shipments don't start until August (and the products will hit the street late in the month).

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 07:55 PM

Mark, "the machines themselves will only reach customers by the end of the month"
I said the same

skucera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 11:23 PM

Apple could just do what they (almost) always do: announce the new machines to many ooh's and ah's, and then wait for the supply chain to catch up in the following 4-6 weeks before getting any real units shipped. That way, they announce at WWDC, and ship in late August/early September.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 12:47 PM

next release will be on Sept 19 2006.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2006, 01:05 PM

Well the 15' MBP had better have an option of a MUCH higher res display, like what Dell offers as an option, a FW 800 port an another USB 2 ports.

These Sh-ity low res displays are PITA with OSX's HUGE UI fonts....

PJJames
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 04:03 PM

The numbers say that the Core 2 Duo will be 20-30% faster correct? How accurate are the numbers and how much of a difference will a 2.16 Core 2 Duo make over a 2.16 Core Duo? Same goes with 2.16 Core Duo versus the 2.33 Core 2 Duo. What do you guys think???
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by PJJames
The numbers say that the Core 2 Duo will be 20-30% faster correct? How accurate are the numbers and how much of a difference will a 2.16 Core 2 Duo make over a 2.16 Core Duo? Same goes with 2.16 Core Duo versus the 2.33 Core 2 Duo. What do you guys think???
Like you said yourself - 20 to 30% increase. so a 2.16 Core 2 is 20 to 30% faster than a 2.16 Core
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2006, 04:27 PM

But keep in mind that's just CPU-everything else runs just as fast as it always did (well, if they don't get upgraded) - a 20% CPU increase will only be noticed by officially licensed clipboard carrying geeks with stopwatches.

(Not that there's anything wrong with being an officially licensed clipboard carrying geek, of course.)

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2006, 11:44 PM

10-20% is more realistic and this is the going figure speculated nearly everywhere else on the www. 30% is completely over optimistic. I've not read anywhere aside from Mac forums a figure of 30%.

Forum Links
Forum Rules