Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Some powerbook questions about warranty issues.

Some powerbook questions about warranty issues.
Sakino
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 12:42 PM

I currently have a 15in, 1.67 G4 PB with 2GB of crucial ram, with 3 year extended warrant. This powerbook has been taken care since I got it. I have had the laptop for a little over a year and there hasn't been any issues. I noticed recently there is a stuck green pixel in the middle of my screen, it is really annoying when you the screen is dark. Also i started to notice black specs forming on where i reset my hands, directly next to the track pad area.

Are both of these issues going to be covered by apples warrant program?

I was also wondering what the sales were like for g4 powerbooks? With the core 2 duos coming out soon, I was thinking about making the upgrade. I offered my laptop to my sister for 1000$ before she went off to school, but she turned that offer down because she wants to get a MacBook. I personally think she is better off with my powerbook over her macbook. After looking at ebay, it looked like i might be able to pull off $1250 or alittle more?

Thanks

PeterKG
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sakino
I currently have a 15in, 1.67 G4 PB with 2GB of crucial ram, with 3 year extended warrant. This powerbook has been taken care since I got it. I have had the laptop for a little over a year and there hasn't been any issues. I noticed recently there is a stuck green pixel in the middle of my screen, it is really annoying when you the screen is dark. Also i started to notice black specs forming on where i reset my hands, directly next to the track pad area.

Are both of these issues going to be covered by apples warrant program?

I was also wondering what the sales were like for g4 powerbooks? With the core 2 duos coming out soon, I was thinking about making the upgrade. I offered my laptop to my sister for 1000$ before she went off to school, but she turned that offer down because she wants to get a MacBook. I personally think she is better off with my powerbook over her macbook. After looking at ebay, it looked like i might be able to pull off $1250 or alittle more?

Thanks
One bad pixel is not going to warrant repair. Have you tried massaging it to unstick it? I have done this using a damp clean cloth, and it worked to unstick it. I also think the pitting is cosmetic, and not covered, but you could try. Powerbook resales have realy dropped since the intro of the Intel machines. I don't think you would be doing your sister a service, unless you gave it to her as a gift. She is better off with a new Macbook. They are much more capable machines. The Macbook has features that are much better, iSight, Front Row, Magnetic Closure, Glossy Display, etc. And most important, are more powerful than your PB.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
One bad pixel is not going to warrant repair. Have you tried massaging it to unstick it? I have done this using a damp clean cloth, and it worked to unstick it. I also think the pitting is cosmetic, and not covered, but you could try. Powerbook resales have realy dropped since the intro of the Intel machines. I don't think you would be doing your sister a service, unless you gave it to her as a gift. She is better off with a new Macbook. They are much more capable machines. The Macbook has features that are much better, iSight, Front Row, Magnetic Closure, Glossy Display, etc. And most important, are more powerful than your PB.

I might take it to the apple service center on campus, it's alittle easier to convince them of getting repairs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules