Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 10)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I have a question...since this runs OSX... and it has wifi.... can I use SKYPE with it? If so, that would be incredible. Unlimited airtime.
The iPhone cannot run normal OS X apps because it lacks Aqua (meaning Cocoa's AppKit is probably neutered or replaced). The jury is still out on if developers will still be able to build their own applications for it. I certainly hope so.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
But we're all comparing it to this mythical product we all would like - infinite battery life, free airtime, instantaneous downloads, full miniaturized OS X, infinite memory, whatever.

Compare it to what is on the market in the three categories Jobs said this product was aimed at - as an iPod, it looks to be the best, except for memory. But what are the chances of someone developing an extra memory add-on module somehow? And future versions will have more memory.
How is this better than a Nokia N-95 or the N-73? Those are 3.5G phones with way higher transfer speeds. They have modems built in, 5MP cameras, Mini SD card slot. The N-73 runs Symbian which equals hundreds of apps including Skype, Quickoffice, Acrobat, Outlook, Real player. Then there are the W800i and the W950i from Sony Ericsson. Feature for feature, the iPhone is blown away by 3G phones. As it should be considering it's using old technology.

I like the fact that the iPhone is simple to use and the interface looks good. However, I don't think it's fair to say that this is even a moderately capable smart phone. Not at this stage. That said, your point that the 1G iPod wasn't particularly capable either is a good one. When the 3G iPhone comes along, we'll have a better idea of whether Apple can pull this off.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 01:29 PM

Could you imagine that though!?! I mean... if you live in the city, where wireless is pretty much everywhere already... jeez... imagine how much that would shake up the entire cell phone industry.. wait... the whole communications industry.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
How is this better than a Nokia N-95 or the N-73? Those are 3.5G phones with way higher transfer speeds. They have modems built in, 5MP cameras, Mini SD card slot. The N-73 runs Symbian which equals hundreds of apps including Skype, Quickoffice, Acrobat, Outlook, Real player. Then there are the W800i and the W950i from Sony Ericsson. Feature for feature, the iPhone is blown away by 3G phones. As it should be considering it's using old technology.

I like the fact that the iPhone is simple to use and the interface looks good. However, I don't think it's fair to say that this is even a moderately capable smart phone. Not at this stage. That said, your point that the 1G iPod wasn't particularly capable either is a good one. When the 3G iPhone comes along, we'll have a better idea of whether Apple can pull this off.
Yes, but the difference is all of those apps you mentioned are not easy, quick, and simple to use on those smart phones. I've used a black berry, and it was more like a 'mini windows computer crammed into a cellphone', than a 'cellphone with useful computer like features'.

The iPhone is a cell phone, with useful features like a computer. The other 'smartphones' are more like mini computers, with a useful cellphone feature.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:31 PM

I have a question...since this runs OSX... and it has wifi.... can I use SKYPE with it? If so, that would be incredible. Unlimited airtime.
No, even if the software worked, there isn't enough bandwidth on EDGE (notably on the uplink) to make this work. I have that from Skype themselves.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
I don't really consider this a true smartphone, since it seems you won't actually be able to run many smartphone applications on it. I consider it the best Walkman phone ever built, but with a price to match.
How many smartphones have you had to make that assessment? No a 5 year old Palm doesn't count.

The blackberries have next to zero 3rd party apps (until the pearl at least) as does the current Symbian OS yet they are considered leading smartphones.

The Black Berries are considered the most serious business smartphones yet I have never seen anybody instal a third party app on one other than google maps.

The stock iphone does 100% of what typical people want to do on a smartphone. The only thing I see missing is some sort of unit converter but that is no big deal.

Smartphones are used for:

email - Check
contacts - Check
SMS - Check
web browsing - Check
Maps - Check
Stocks, Weather - Check
Calendar - Check
To do list - Check
Calls - Check

That covers everything the typical smartphone buyer needs. Sure there is say 5% who need something else but should that be a priority?

iPhone does all that plus includes stuff no other phone does half as well. Smartphone or otherwise.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:34 PM

No, even if the software worked, there isn't enough bandwidth on EDGE (notably on the uplink) to make this work. I have that from Skype themselves.
I think people would want VOIP for Wifi. I know I would welcome it and replace my land line with iPhone + VOIP over WiFi in a heartbeat.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Ah, thanks. What happens to the other iphone?
Does it matter? It probably gets a name change in 6 months or disappears. Since Cisco has owned the iPhone name since 1996, Apple obviously talked to them a long time ago.

My comments:
Non-replaceable battery: So what? In two years, you'll what the iPhone 3G to replace it. Would you really renew for another 2 year contract with the same phone?

OSX: It is running OSX on an unknown processor. Not Intel, not PPC. So NOTHING will run without being compiled for the phone's processor. This has nothing to do with "Aqua" (which is just a name for the Interface Style of OSX (not a technology like Quartz). And I thought you people were computer nerds!

On the FCC: If the device fails FCC tests, it may be delayed or killed. FCC testing is all about EMC. A simple problem can send you back to the drawing board. Not likely, but possible.

On buying music from your phone: Is that really holding anyone back? Go home and buy!

On OSX Part 2: Apple could easily license OSX to other phone companies. You can't just go and install it on a phone like a PC. Take THAT, Microsoft Mobile Whatever OS!

On the price: The price is fine. Apple wants you to pay for quality and has proven many will. The phone naysayers (low cost, brutal market) are looking at everything the way they always have. A revolutionary product that does something already existing does it better, just like the iPod did.

So someone should clarify this for me: I pay $500 for the phone and THEN have to pay $30 to $100 a month for a phone contract?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:45 PM

I'll admit to never having used those particular Nokia phones. Or the iPhone for that matter.

I also have a PowerBook, so I seriously doubt I'd do too much when it comes to word processing, spreadsheets, etc. on any phone. What I want a phone for is: phone, contacts, calendar, iPod functions (photos, music, video), web browsing, map functions... hmmm.... sounds familiar.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 01:46 PM

everything i read says the cost includes a 2 year contract.

what though, is the contract (how many minutes, how much data, etc) is the question.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 01:46 PM

Yeah, not that edge crap. You have to pay more for that. But SKYPE over wifi should work fine, as it does on a laptop.

Dakar²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Does it matter?
COnsidering it has the same exact name, yeah.

A small part of me wonders if this was subterfuge in Apple's part.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 10, 2007, 01:49 PM

So someone should clarify this for me: I pay $500 for the phone and THEN have to pay $30 to $100 a month for a phone contract?
Yes, but it'll be well over $30 a month with 'data fees'. The past few cellphones i've owned have had web access, but I've nver used it because the plans that include web access were like $20 more a month, at least. Plus they charged by the minute, while you were connected, on top of your voice bill.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 10, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
How many smartphones have you had to make that assessment? No a 5 year old Palm doesn't count.

The blackberries have next to zero 3rd party apps (until the pearl at least) as does the current Symbian OS yet they are considered leading smartphones.

The Black Berries are considered the most serious business smartphones yet I have never seen anybody instal a third party app on one other than google maps.

The stock iphone does 100% of what typical people want to do on a smartphone. The only thing I see missing is some sort of unit converter but that is no big deal.

Smartphones are used for:

email - Check
contacts - Check
SMS - Check
web browsing - Check
Maps - Check
Stocks, Weather - Check
Calendar - Check
To do list - Check
Calls - Check

That covers everything the typical smartphone buyer needs. Sure there is say 5% who need something else but should that be a priority?

iPhone does all that plus includes stuff no other phone does half as well. Smartphone or otherwise.
Exchange support and Office to go support is very beneficial to some. And much of what you listed isn't going to be desirable without UMTS support. And if it's really true there isn't a replaceable battery, then that is going to be a deal breaker for lots and lots of people.

P.S. I've checked out several Treos, but never bought one, because they never suited me.

The iPhone would meet most of my needs since I don't need Office to go or exchange support, but I'm not really interested in paying $1000 CAD or whatever it would be for an unlocked 8 GB iPod phone either.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:55 PM

I need a widget for sports scores and standings.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 01:55 PM

That's exactly the arguments why the iPoad was supposed to fail and other MP3 players would win.

They were so right...

-t

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 01:58 PM

I also have a PowerBook, so I seriously doubt I'd do too much when it comes to word processing, spreadsheets, etc. on any phone. What I want a phone for is: phone, contacts, calendar, iPod functions (photos, music, video), web browsing, map functions... hmmm.... sounds familiar.
I hear you. The reason I bought my EDGE phone 2 years ago rather than a 3G phone is that I didn't think I needed 3G features. But now the office has moved from Blackberry to 3G phones and now that I've realised how useless Internet is on EDGE and now that 3G phones are free or close to free with contract renewals, I think I'll probably go with 3G for my next phone. I can tell you one thing, if the iPhone comes in at 500 EUR here, I won't be getting one.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2007, 02:08 PM

Yes, but it'll be well over $30 a month with 'data fees'. The past few cellphones i've owned have had web access, but I've nver used it because the plans that include web access were like $20 more a month, at least. Plus they charged by the minute, while you were connected, on top of your voice bill.
I would be surprised if Cingular's iPhone plans didn't all have unlimited Internet use. With a desktop-class browser and email client, the iPhone is going to use data like nobody's business. My guess is that they'll have plans starting at ~$40 (possibly $50), including a reasonable amount of voice minutes and unlimited Internet.

My wife removes the battery from her phone exactly - NEVER.
I have never once removed my RAZR's battery, but saying this kind of misses the point. I only use my RAZR as a cell phone. When you add things like Internet, email, music and VIDEO, you're going to be going through that battery very easily, and you don't want to be left with a dead battery when you really have to make a call.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 02:09 PM

OSX: It is running OSX on an unknown processor. Not Intel, not PPC. So NOTHING will run without being compiled for the phone's processor. This has nothing to do with "Aqua" (which is just a name for the Interface Style of OSX (not a technology like Quartz). And I thought you people were computer nerds!
We don't know the processor. Even if it's ARM, the processor is really not very much of an issue at all. If Cocoa works on this device, honestly changes in AppKit would be a much much larger deal than the processor. That said, there are x86 processors which would work in a handheld.

I don't know any OS X programmers that code in assembly, only C or higher. UNIX/OS X makes things so portable the hardware is abstracted well enough. Software changes are going to be the big deal.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's exactly the arguments why the iPoad was supposed to fail and other MP3 players would win.
I thought the iPod would win ... as long as they made it compatible with PCs. For me the killer with the iPod was that it was the first time you could fit 5,000 songs in your pocket - the first hard drive player that fitted in your pocket. That's the reason I bought it. I was tired of carrying around a pile of mini-discs. To me that still seems like a bigger leap in music players than the iPhone is in mobile phones. "Carry all of your CDs in your shirt pocket" still has more wow-factor to me than "it's a phone with a nice interface".

I think that if (when) this thing has 3G, then it will represent a leap because then they can start putting really useful features into it and some of the features they currently have in it will become more useful. As it stands, I pity the fool downloading Google maps over EDGE.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 02:11 PM

No Java support?

I would assume not if it really is a closed platform.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
We don't know the processor. Even if it's ARM, the processor is really not very much of an issue at all. If Cocoa works on this device, honestly changes in AppKit would be a much much larger deal than the processor. That said, there are x86 processors which would work in a handheld.

I don't know any OS X programmers that code in assembly, only C or higher. UNIX/OS X makes things so portable the hardware is abstracted well enough. Software changes are going to be the big deal.
It's been widely reported that it's an Intel processor.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 02:15 PM

Can the iPhone connect to internet radio streams over Wifi?
I wonder if there is a FM radio feature in the iPhone. I haven't seen anything mentioned, but even my SE allows for radio and even comes with the FM receiver headphones. I'm sick of Apple leaving out common features and making us buy accessories to do them.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
I wonder if there is a FM radio feature in the iPhone. I haven't seen anything mentioned, but even my SE allows for radio and even comes with the FM receiver headphones. I'm sick of Apple leaving out common features and making us buy accessories to do them.
Is an FM radio really a common cell phone feature? (And I can almost guarantee that the iPhone is radio-free.)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 02:25 PM

Haha, Apple leaves out lame features like an FM tuner knowing that only a handful of nerds will bitch, and that no one else will care.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It's been widely reported that it's an Intel processor.
Do we know if it's an Intel x86 or an Intel ARM?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 02:36 PM

... let this be Version 1.0 and go from there.
Well, really, as with all new Apple products, this would be Version 0.9

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Is an FM radio really a common cell phone feature? (And I can almost guarantee that the iPhone is radio-free.)
Most EDGE phones may not have built-in FM radios per se, but they can certainly stream music. While tethered to a Class 4 Moto, for example, I've been able to stream 128kbps iTunes radio stations on a PowerBook. I'm not sure what class EDGE the iPhone will be, but class 10 EDGE phones can exceed 200 kbps. My LG CU500, a UMTS/HSDPA phone (1.8 Mbps), even has live audio/video subscription services.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Do we know if it's an Intel x86 or an Intel ARM?
I note that the Xscale PXA line (which is the mobile phone line) is no longer owned by Intel.

Still, it could be that processor, as Intel still may be the fab for it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 02:51 PM

Exchange support and Office to go support is very beneficial to some. And much of what you listed isn't going to be desirable without UMTS support. And if it's really true there isn't a replaceable battery, then that is going to be a deal breaker for lots and lots of people.

P.S. I've checked out several Treos, but never bought one, because they never suited me.

The iPhone would meet most of my needs since I don't need Office to go or exchange support, but I'm not really interested in paying $1000 CAD or whatever it would be for an unlocked 8 GB iPod phone either.
Apple is not targeting the hard core "we need secure connections and Exchange" group. They are too small a market to care. Why do you think Blackberry came out with the "consumer" pearl and since has taken off huge.

Sure word support would be nice but you can bet it will be here by the end of the year.

I swear I don't know anyone who carries extra batteries other than you. Say that is an deal breaker for you... that isn't the average consumer and not enough for apple to care. As I also said everyone who needs a smartphone also has a laptop or is near a computer daily.

In all honesty how often are you away from a Mac/PC for more than 12 hours where you can update the content with more movies/music etc and at the same time recharge it? 1 or twice a year is not a big enough concern for Apple to make these changes or be a deal breaker for me.

You can charge it at home, you can charge it at work, you can charge it in the car, you can carry a small AC adapter if worse comes to worse and charge it while you have a coffee.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 02:53 PM

Heh, they just showed the iPhone on the 7 o'clock national news here.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 02:55 PM

rentzsch.com: iPhone Indie App Development

Wolf Rentzsch is a clever guy and very good developer - I'd guess he doesn't file bug reports based on guesswork. I'd imagine he's spoken to someone in the know at MacWorld who told him that indie-development on the iPhone is currently a no-no.

One of Symbian's major strengths is the huge amount of independent apps available, I'd be very disappointed if there were no free way of developing apps for the iPhone.
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 02:59 PM

Apple is not targeting the hard core "we need secure connections and Exchange" group. They are too small a market to care. Why do you think Blackberry came out with the "consumer" pearl and since has taken off huge.

Sure word support would be nice but you can bet it will be here by the end of the year.

I swear I don't know anyone who carries extra batteries other than you. Say that is an deal breaker for you... that isn't the average consumer and not enough for apple to care. As I also said everyone who needs a smartphone also has a laptop or is near a computer daily.

In all honesty how often are you away from a Mac/PC for more than 12 hours where you can update the content with more movies/music etc and at the same time recharge it? 1 or twice a year is not a big enough concern for Apple to make these changes or be a deal breaker for me.

You can charge it at home, you can charge it at work, you can charge it in the car, you can carry a small AC adapter if worse comes to worse and charge it while you have a coffee.
I guess you missed my point. My point was that it was phone targetted at the iPod market, but priced like a hardcore business phone PDA.

I still think it will sell reasonably well, but this particular model is going to be attractive to a more limited group of people. There will be more buyers once Apple has more models to cater to more markets. I know I'm interested in a future version of the iPhone, but will not be buying the June iteration (even if I could get an unlocked one).

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:06 PM

I dont think you get it: it is catering to a very wide audience. The average person wants a stylish, functional phone. They don't carry around extra batteries, want to listen to the radio on their phone, or download TV shows on the go. Step outside of the geek world for a moment and you'll see...

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Diggory Laycock View Post
One of Symbian's major strengths is the huge amount of independent apps available, I'd be very disappointed if there were no free way of developing apps for the iPhone.
Wasn't that a major strength of the Palm OS as well?

I'm sure you'll get your wish soon enough. I'd like to see my HP 48G ROM, for example, ported to the iPhone the way it's been ported to most PDAs.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Haha, Apple leaves out lame features like an FM tuner knowing that only a handful of nerds will bitch, and that no one else will care.
FM tuner is a lame feature? Why, because you don't listen to the radio?

It looks like so far my w810i beats the iPhone in features, just not interface.

I guess you're right though. Us 'nerds' can just buy the $50 FM tuner earbuds.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 03:12 PM

I dont think you get it: it is catering to a very wide audience. The average person wants a stylish, functional phone. They don't carry around extra batteries, want to listen to the radio on their phone, or download TV shows on the go. Step outside of the geek world for a moment and you'll see...
Actually, the wider audience wants a stylish functional phone... for under $200.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:19 PM

So now price is the drawback, or was its widely appealing functionality the drawback?

The lesson of the iPod is that people, even teenagers, can and will fork over $400 for a desirable product, even if it doesn't have niche features.

If you want to download TV shows in the car or edit spreadsheets, then this phone isn't for you, I'll admit that.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:21 PM

Actually, the wider audience wants a stylish functional phone... for under $200.
Well good. And the company that sells it to them can enjoy the $10 they make off a $200 sale. If that is what the consumer wants there are plenty of options.

Apple wants just 1% of the phone market. And you can bet there is more than 1 out of 100 people who want a phone like the iPhone.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:21 PM

I'm hearing a lot of talk about replaceable batteries. I don't know if anyone else noticed this on Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html):

"Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced."

Now I know that could mean many things. Such as a user removable battery, or a batter that needs to be replaced by Apple or Cingular when/if the battery dies (like iPods). But that pretty much solidifies that at the very least, the battery is replaceable by some means.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm hearing a lot of talk about replaceable batteries. I don't know if anyone else noticed this on Apple's site (http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html):

"Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced."

Now I know that could mean many things. Such as a user removable battery, or a batter that needs to be replaced by Apple or Cingular when/if the battery dies (like iPods). But that pretty much solidifies that at the very least, the battery is replaceable by some means.
Replaceable by Apple isn't very helpful when you're on the train and run out of battery.

So now price is the drawback, or was its widely appealing functionality the drawback?

The lesson of the iPod is that people, even teenagers, can and will fork over $400 for a desirable product, even if it doesn't have niche features.

If you want to download TV shows in the car or edit spreadsheets, then this phone isn't for you, I'll admit that.
People are so ready to defend the iPhone, I just don't understand it.

Personally I think it's a great design, but yeah, OF COURSE PRICE IS AN ISSUE. It would be stupid to claim otherwise.

If price weren't an issue, the iPod mini would have never been introduced.

Well good. And the company that sells it to them can enjoy the $10 they make off a $200 sale. If that is what the consumer wants there are plenty of options.

Apple wants just 1% of the phone market. And you can bet there is more than 1 out of 100 people who want a phone like the iPhone.
Yeah, but they're not always prepared to pay for it.

I'd probably buy this if it were $600 CAD unlocked. However, judging by Cingular's pricing, I'd guess it'd be more like $900-1000 CAD unlocked. So, I'm not so interested.

I'm constantly astounded that some of you think that I must buy the thing at any price because it has some nice features and is better than many other phones out there at any price. That kind of logic is just bizarre.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:28 PM

Nothing wrong with admitting it because Apple doesn't want those customers either. It is way to small and picky.

Again, look at the well known Blackberries. The sold good, did everything this small bracket of people wanted it to do but RIM wasn't happy with the small customer base, bulk of the phones and general perception.

Hence, the blackberry. Since September since it came out the sales of Blackberry phones, plans and applications shot through the roof and blackberries are now cool enough to be seen on young hip celebrities. RIM knows the high end anal retentive crew is under 5% where general consumer is 95%.

Which would you go after?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 03:33 PM

Nothing wrong with admitting it because Apple doesn't want those customers either. It is way to small and picky.

Again, look at the well known Blackberries. The sold good, did everything this small bracket of people wanted it to do but RIM wasn't happy with the small customer base, bulk of the phones and general perception.

Hence, the blackberry. Since September since it came out the sales of Blackberry phones, plans and applications shot through the roof and blackberries are now cool enough to be seen on young hip celebrities. RIM knows the high end anal retentive crew is under 5% where general consumer is 95%.

Which would you go after?
Yeah, but like I said before, the iPhone isn't priced for 95% of the market. It's priced for 1% of the market, which is fine, cuz that's what Apple's aiming for.

I guarantee you that if this phone doesn't suck ass in actual usage, Apple will release a much, much cheaper phone to get more of that 95% of the market.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Replaceable by Apple isn't very helpful when you're on the train and run out of battery.
The Acela has power outlets. Heck, even Amtrak Regional Rail has power outlets, as do some commuter trains. I wouldn't take a train for anything further than DC to NYC anyway. I will note this, however: EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA doesn't seem to work well when the train is moving. Maybe trains move too fast or something.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:35 PM

I'm constantly astounded that some of you think that I must buy the thing because it has some nice features, and is better than many other phones out there at any price. That kind of logic is just bizarre.
Yes, Apple sees these people often enough who are stuck on trains without AC outlets for more than 5 hours watching videos constantly that they see a need to cater to it. All those 3rd party Ipod booster batteries that plug into the port be dammed! We need our pockets full of spare batteries for out 5 hour daily commutes!

The outlash from video iPods and laptops dying during a flight/train ride has been so high the sales tanked. Everyone I know with a laptop with 4 hour battery carries at last 3 spares or skips laptops at all because of this.

If you don't want the phone don't get it. But don't tell us Apple dropped the bomb because it has no high speed cell connection other than EDGE or swappable battery.

Truth is you cannot find a phone that does any better or cheaper today and if there is one out there you are still not buying that phone then you are not seriously in the need for one anyway. End of story.

Supply and demand. The market is out there and they are going to gobble the iPhone up. Want proof, look at how Apple dropped the bomb with the MacBooks with GMA 950 that would shock any PC switchers trying to play 3d games. Oh wait, what were the sales on them again?
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Jan 10, 2007 at 03:43 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
The Acela has power outlets. Heck, even Amtrak Regional Rail has power outlets, as do some commuter trains. I wouldn't take a train for anything further than DC to NYC anyway.
Yes, some trains have outlets now. Planes generally don't though. I take lots of long flights.

If you don't want the phone don't get it.
Bingo. (Actually, I want the phone, but won't pay that kind of moolah for it.)

But don't tell us Apple dropped the bomb because it has no high speed cell connection other than EDGE.
You can't see past your own Apple fanboyism here. I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT APPLE MADE A BOMB. I THINK THIS IS A VERY NICE PRODUCT. However, it is a very nice product that caters to a small portion of the population because of the price, which is fine, because Apple knows that. You don't seem to realize this, even though Apple itself says it's aiming for a small piece of the pie in 2008.

Truth is you cannot find a phone that does any better or cheaper today and if there is one out there you are still not buying that phone then you are not seriously in the need for one anyway.
Bingo. I will reiterate: I will not pay that kind of moolah for it.

Supply and demand. The market is out there and they are going to gobble the iPhone up. Want proof, look at how Apple dropped the bomb with the MacBooks with GMA 950 that would shock any PC switchers trying to play 3d games. Oh wait, what were the sales on them again?
WTF are you talking about?

I contradicted your posts claiming that GMA 950 was fast, cuz that's simply wrong. However, I never once said the MacBook was going to be a crappy seller. In fact I said the exact opposite. When the MacBook was released, I said it was going to sell like mad because it was a very capable machine for a low price. The MacBook is a laptop for the masses, BECAUSE IT IS PRICED AS ONE.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 10, 2007 at 03:50 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:37 PM

Features obviously don't sell products or the iPod would be at the bottom (like the shuffle isn't). It's the experience that sells it (and helps sell it to everyone who sees you enjoying yours) along with a bit of the cool factor. You can't say the iPhone is not cool. There is NOTHING on the market like it (referring to the touch interface).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 03:43 PM

Yes, some trains have outlets now.
All Amtrak trains that I've ridden on in the Northeast Corridor seemed to have them next to every seat.

Planes generally don't though. I take lots of long flights.
Can't use the RF functions in flight, though, so that should extend battery life somewhat. Take heart -- I'm sure that a third party will offer an external battery that plugs into the power port. You could always just go first class.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:48 PM

Yes I realize that, which is why I stated such.

But, its replaceable. Which eases the concerns of many other people.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
You could always just go first class.

Exactly, which is why this would be a non-issue for the target market for this phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules