Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New to MAC. Hmmmm... have questions

New to MAC. Hmmmm... have questions
Butt Sauce!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 12:41 PM

Hello dudes,

I'm thinking of buying an I-MAC for the start of school and have some questions for you, as I am new to MAC.

Hmmm... Here's the deal my buddy Ben and I created some mousepads for fun. We created about 20 of them of different colors and some of them with anime, and some with John Deere equipment. Also, Ben got a little crazy and created some mousepads with both anime and John Deere together! LOL. Hmmmmmm... anyway I'm wondering if I could use one of those mousepads. I like them very much.

Also I'm left handed. Hmmmm..... can I use my left hand with a mouse with the mouse on the left side of the keyboard on one of my mousepads.

Also what does that key with the apple on the keyboard do? is that just a key that does nothing but is there to advertise MAC'S? Hmmmm...

Also I'm thinking of buying Mavis Beakon because I'm not used to typing on MAC'S. Hmmmm.... I have a copy of Mavis Beakon for a PC on a floppy disk. Can I just the floppy disk in where the CD goes. Will it be recongized? Hmmmmm... I know that's probably a dumb question but I know that the drives in MAC are supposed to recognize CD's and DVD's.

Hmmm... Maybe one of you guys could send me some good games I can play once I get my MAC? I'm on a fast connection so i can download your games really fast.

Hmmmmm... anything else you can think of for me to help school with a MAC would be nice. I'm going to be a scientist so I need to be setup so that I can conduct scientific experiments.

Thanks my brothers!
( Last edited by Butt Sauce!; Aug 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 9, 2008, 12:49 PM

So apparently besson thinks it's okay to do this again?

Perhaps I should give you my social security number.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2008, 12:59 PM

Laminar: why would I risk being banned again for another month? Butt Sauce is not me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 9, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Laminar: why would I risk being banned again for another month? Butt Sauce is not me.
Okay.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2008, 01:17 PM

Not funny anymore. Was never funny, really.
Signature depreciated.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 01:26 PM

I really like your sig wall, CATS. It's very...working?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2008, 01:28 PM

First off, you will need a left-handed mouse-pad. These are very hard to find for the L_MAC, but you could ostensibly flash the firmware on a left-handed Windows mousepad. Be sure it runs Windows ME or better. (you will need a friend with a Windows PC and knowledge of how to "crack the registry" for this to work)

2. Apple no longer supports the deprecated CD technology. The only way to get files off and on to you're brand new L_MAC is through use of a "data-cloud." No one at Apple has explained how this works on clear days, however so don't say I didn't warn you.

3. L_MACS don't play games. They're not that type. don't enter into relationships with "playing games" in mind -- this just hurts both parties when things end badly. You must be honest and straightforward with your L_MAC if you want it to perform for you.

4. Be sure to buy the internet, as L_MACS do not come with the internet on the C drive.

HTH!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 02:31 PM

This is like so funny i have the same questions lol i wonder if he knows me???

Its funny cause i one took some pictures of myself with my mac and sent it to my friends and he had a windows computer so i think that there is no difference lol

ok see you later and thanks for posting this lol

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 03:41 PM

Just make sure you buy an external flooopy drive as MACS don't come with them anymore.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I really like your sig wall, CATS. It's very...working?
Its fixed now, damn MobileMe transition.
Signature depreciated.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Its fixed now, damn MobileMe transition.

Damn them!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2008, 10:39 PM

I'd hold off on an L_MAC purchase, rumor is that the K_MACS are right around the corner for the back to school season. You can use them with either hand and play any game out there.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Butt Sauce! View Post
Hello dudes,

I'm thinking of buying an I-MAC for the start of school and have some questions for you, as I am new to MAC.

Hmmm... Here's the deal my buddy Ben and I created some mousepads for fun. We created about 20 of them of different colors and some of them with anime, and some with John Deere equipment. Also, Ben got a little crazy and created some mousepads with both anime and John Deere together! LOL. Hmmmmmm... anyway I'm wondering if I could use one of those mousepads. I like them very much.

Also I'm left handed. Hmmmm..... can I use my left hand with a mouse with the mouse on the left side of the keyboard on one of my mousepads.

Also what does that key with the apple on the keyboard do? is that just a key that does nothing but is there to advertise MAC'S? Hmmmm...

Also I'm thinking of buying Mavis Beakon because I'm not used to typing on MAC'S. Hmmmm.... I have a copy of Mavis Beakon for a PC on a floppy disk. Can I just the floppy disk in where the CD goes. Will it be recongized? Hmmmmm... I know that's probably a dumb question but I know that the drives in MAC are supposed to recognize CD's and DVD's.

Hmmm... Maybe one of you guys could send me some good games I can play once I get my MAC? I'm on a fast connection so i can download your games really fast.

Hmmmmm... anything else you can think of for me to help school with a MAC would be nice. I'm going to be a scientist so I need to be setup so that I can conduct scientific experiments.
Thanks my brothers!

It's been a long time since I belly-laughed in here. Thank you.
ebuddy

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 01:00 AM

So apparently besson thinks it's okay to do this again?

Perhaps I should give you my social security number.
Hmmm.... no comprendez senior!

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Not funny anymore. Was never funny, really.

What does your name mean? Hmmm...

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
First off, you will need a left-handed mouse-pad. These are very hard to find for the L_MAC, but you could ostensibly flash the firmware on a left-handed Windows mousepad. Be sure it runs Windows ME or better. (you will need a friend with a Windows PC and knowledge of how to "crack the registry" for this to work)

2. Apple no longer supports the deprecated CD technology. The only way to get files off and on to you're brand new L_MAC is through use of a "data-cloud." No one at Apple has explained how this works on clear days, however so don't say I didn't warn you.

3. L_MACS don't play games. They're not that type. don't enter into relationships with "playing games" in mind -- this just hurts both parties when things end badly. You must be honest and straightforward with your L_MAC if you want it to perform for you.

4. Be sure to buy the internet, as L_MACS do not come with the internet on the C drive.

HTH!

Hmmm.. what is HTH hold the hamburger?

This was very funny. L MACS LOL! Do you have any games?

You want to hear something else funny? My name is Butt Sauce because me and my buddy Ben were doing a scientific experiment where I mixed some chemicals and I was going to paint this fluid I cooked up on a rat to see if it would make his skin stronger and Ben said that the fluid smelled like butt sauce. So I decided to call myself Butt Sauce.

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
This is like so funny i have the same questions lol i wonder if he knows me???

Its funny cause i one took some pictures of myself with my mac and sent it to my friends and he had a windows computer so i think that there is no difference lol

ok see you later and thanks for posting this lol

Bye calverson. I see that you are in Africa have you ever seen a tarauntula?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2008, 12:36 PM

Butt Sauce: your friend Ben sounds awesome! Whatever happened to that rat you were painting? You should get Ben to post here!

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2008, 01:23 PM

Bye calverson. I see that you are in Africa have you ever seen a tarauntula?
Hello Butt-Sauce (LOL! funny name)

Yeah my friend actually has a few curly-hairs (lol!) and a mexican red-knee.

Where in the US are you? Have you bought an Imac yet? The iLive suite is good hey? I even sent Steve Jobs an e-mail to say thanks but I never heard back lol I must have spelt his name wrong or something.

Anyway bye

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2008, 05:14 PM

Damn... I looked up mexican red knee to see what they looked like. Man, they are one scary looking spider:

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2008, 06:03 PM

OK, besson3c, I think you've scared half our membership with that picture. You startled me with it! Yikes, that's a big, hairy spider!

Butt Sauce!, your friend Ben has some sort of "issue" here, if he compares any smell related to butt with a "sauce." Ewwwww! Whatever....

I'm surprised nobody has jumped on the bandwagon and detailed the "Mac versus MAC" and "iMac versus IMAC" discussions. We've had ummm, lets' see....... somewhere near eleventy billion and four threads where capitalization was discussed in reference to Macintosh computers and their names... And I hope you're enjoying it here-we get a little "odd" sometimes. But then, with a user name like yours, I think you'll fit in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm surprised nobody has jumped on the bandwagon and detailed the "Mac versus MAC" and "iMac versus IMAC" discussions.
It's my belief that everyone thinks this is a joke account and so taking any of the post seriously would be a mistake.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 08:06 AM

How do we know that Laminar isn't just a joke account?

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 08:14 AM

2542 posts?

Long joke.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 08:22 AM

Because he's actually funny.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 08:48 AM

Hmmm.. what is HTH hold the hamburger?

This was very funny. L MACS LOL! Do you have any games?

You want to hear something else funny? My name is Butt Sauce because me and my buddy Ben were doing a scientific experiment where I mixed some chemicals and I was going to paint this fluid I cooked up on a rat to see if it would make his skin stronger and Ben said that the fluid smelled like butt sauce. So I decided to call myself Butt Sauce.
1. HTH = Hurl the Hun.

2. I have an old version of Monopoly, but it's missing some the cards, and Chutes and Ladders, but the kids are all too old for that, plus, we've lost all but one of the little plastic thingies that hold up the cutouts of the players.

3. I would have figured that either Mr. & Mrs. Sauce were having a jape on us all, or perhaps you were naming yourself after the smell emanating from your psots. LMFAOLROTFLLLOLERBLADES

Where's Mind Fad?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 09:27 AM

I-MACS suck. I would get a E-MACS.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I would get a E-MACS.
Or vim?

Anyone remember the psychologist in e-macs?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 09:39 AM

Or vim?

Anyone remember the psychologist in e-macs?
I think it's still there... x doctor!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 09:40 AM

Hmmmm... Well, I went to a MAC store over the weekend and brought some of my mousepads to try. They all worked but my John Deere ones worked best for some reason. Hmmm...

Anyway I think I have most of my MAC questions taken care of for now thanks even though most of you weren't much help.

Hmmm.. anyway I had a good weekend. I am what scientists call a "chemist". I conducted a pretty cool experiment this weekend in a proper climate controlled environment. Speciman A was some aunts that I had collected. Check this out I poured a little battery acid, some Japanese wasaby hot mustard on them. They didn't like that and turned upside down as I expected. But then I also poured some TIDE laundry detergent on them and this white stuff came out of the aunts! I think it was a pottasium nitrate solution, but I haven't tested this compound yet because I need to clean some of my test tubes.

P.S. ghporter the chemicals we were mixing were very thick which reminded me of a sauce. Ben is a little crazy but he's just my lab assistant. He was the one that told me about this place though. Aside from some rude members so far it seems like a cool place.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 09:57 AM

Hey butt-sauce the internet is full of rude people. and when each sentence has "hmmm...." in it

well, check this out.

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 10:06 AM

So you find hmmm annoying? That is just me thinking. What else should I use to show that I'm thinking?

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 10:15 AM

So you find hmmm annoying? That is just me thinking. What else should I use to show that I'm thinking?
Well you don't need to show people you are thinking.

We already assume you do that.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2008, 10:16 AM

Hmmmm... Well, I went to a MAC store over the weekend and brought some of my mousepads to try. They all worked but my John Deere ones worked best for some reason. Hmmm...

Anyway I think I have most of my MAC questions taken care of for now thanks even though most of you weren't much help.

Hmmm.. anyway I had a good weekend. I am what scientists call a "chemist". I conducted a pretty cool experiment this weekend in a proper climate controlled environment. Speciman A was some aunts that I had collected. Check this out I poured a little battery acid, some Japanese wasaby hot mustard on them. They didn't like that and turned upside down as I expected. But then I also poured some TIDE laundry detergent on them and this white stuff came out of the aunts! I think it was a pottasium nitrate solution, but I haven't tested this compound yet because I need to clean some of my test tubes.

P.S. ghporter the chemicals we were mixing were very thick which reminded me of a sauce. Ben is a little crazy but he's just my lab assistant. He was the one that told me about this place though. Aside from some rude members so far it seems like a cool place.

Wow. Your father/mother must be really mad that you did this to their sisters.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2008, 10:17 AM

Actually, I just assumed he couldn't think....

But that's just me.

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 10:19 AM

Sorry dudes I was just trying to be polite. Many people don't think at all before they post things on the internet.

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Actually, I just assumed he couldn't think....

But that's just me.

That's pretty rude. I don't like this and I did nothing to you. I like gay people I think that my good buddy Ben might be gay lol just kidding Ben.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 10:25 AM

Sorry dudes I was just trying to be polite. Many people don't think at all before they post things on the internet.
Right, I agree. However there are other ways you can convey that you are thinking. Such as:
1. Correct sentence construction
2. Correct grammer
3. Correct spelling
4. Correctly capatalized words, as well as correct utilization of lowercase
5. Only relaying information that is condusive to the post/topic.
That way, people know that you are thinking.

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 10:40 AM

Well this is only an internet forum so spelling isn't a big deal. I will let the intellagence of my posts to let me decide whether or not I'm thinking I guess.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2008, 11:01 AM

If you follow calverson's suggestions, you wind up being better understood. With some of our members, their posts look like a stream of consciousness (or maybe UNconsciousness ) and it's hard to figure out what they meant. I can get along with no capitalization (mostly), but when the writer doesn't give me a clue about where sentences start and stop, I get a headache.

Oh, and I'm often guilty of veering a bit off topic. I work on doing it less, but I'm not quite where I want to be, so I guess I don't quite follow those suggestions as well as I might.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 11:52 AM

2. Correct grammer
Is there some rule on the internet that says in chastising another poster's spelling, grammar, etc., the chastiser is bound to make a mistake?

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 11:59 AM

Is there some rule on the internet that says in chastising another poster's spelling, grammar, etc., the chastiser is bound to make a mistake?
Probably.

As I was typing that I was thinking to myself:

"there is going to be a damn error in here, I know it, and it will make me look like an ignoramus"

Ok, where is it?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 12:02 PM

Ok, where is it?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 12:02 PM

It might be in the section I quoted. Do you have Safari's check-spelling-as-you-type function on?

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 12:08 PM

whoops.

I should start a thread on this, entitled:

"I am an idoit and kant spell"

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 12:10 PM

It might be in the section I quoted. Do you have Safari's check-spelling-as-you-type function on?
That's the only thing keeping people from knowing how dumb I am.*
*not counting the actual content of my posts.

Butt Sauce!  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 12:15 PM

Okay, I have a MAC question or Mac question whichever way it should be spelled.

Stupid Ben put a picture on my desk top that I really don't like at all of this racoon having sex with a dog. How do I get rid of it Ben won't tell me. I'm pretty nervous about it because when I have scientists over to my lab I don't want them to see this terrible picture. I click on the blue smiley faced guy in the dock and I see a listing of some files. Will that help me?

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
*not counting the actual content of my posts.
lol.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 12:21 PM

Stupid Ben put a picture on my desk top that I really don't like at all of this racoon having sex with a dog. How do I get rid of it Ben won't tell me. I'm pretty nervous about it because when I have scientists over to my lab I don't want them to see this terrible picture. I click on the blue smiley faced guy in the dock and I see a listing of some files. Will that help me?
I'm not sure... anyone?

You friend Ben sounds like quite the character. What is his surname?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm surprised nobody has jumped on the bandwagon and detailed the "Mac versus MAC" and "iMac versus IMAC" discussions. We've had ummm, lets' see....... somewhere near eleventy billion and four threads where capitalization was discussed in reference to Macintosh computers and their names...
Actually, it was just a friend inviting me for lunch that prevented me from posting something about this.

Even given the joke account nature of the posting, "MAC'S" as plural of Mac drives me crazy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules