Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Identifying my new SE

Identifying my new SE
Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 07:11 PM

Today I was cruising around a thrift store and found a nice gem in the form of a copy of Newton's Law. Then as I turn and look down just a little I see a Mac SE staring at my sadly from the floor. I found a late model ADB keyboard nearby and a power cable hanging from a pressboard rack. I plug in the keyboard and the power and hit the power switch. I didn't really think I'd get much more than smoke out of the SE but to my suprise it started up! Not only did it start and give me a happy Mac but it loaded MacOS off its hard drive. I took it and the book home (as well as a copy of Crashlander in excellent condition) for a total of $6.19.

Now I need to figure out exactly what model SE I have. Right now I'm minus one ADB mouse so it isn't exactly easy to futz around when the thing is on. I think it has System 6 loaded but I can't be sure until I get a mouse. Since it has a hard drive that looks like the factory drive I'm wondering if this gem is either a SE FDHD or maybe even an SE/30. Do the SE/30s have an actual SE/30 label on the front? This one just says Macintosh SE and has a single floppy drive and a HD. The model number is M5011. Can some nice person help me figure out exactly what Mac I picked up? I'd really like to get System 7.5 on it and maybe find an Ethernet expension card if at all possible and hook it up to my network. It would make a nice little box to tinker around on.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 07:31 PM

The SE/30 models has it printed on them. I'm gonna go check one of my SE's and I'll tell you.

OK, here's what I've found: You've got the model with an 800K floppy drive and 20 MB hard disk. There is also an FDHD model, which comes with a 1.4 MB floppy drive and the hard drive. There was also a SE model that had two 800K floppy drives, but no hard disk.

It can handle up to System 7.5.5. It also has an Se PDS slot that you can use to add an Ethernet card. If you do get an ethernet card for it, try and get Open Transport installed on it. MacTCP (the alternative) is quite confusing. I couldn't get it working at all. I'm just not sure if Open Transport is supported on your machine.

Have fun with your SE!

Brad

Graymalkin  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info man I appriciate it. I'm really hoping I can get an Ethernet card for the sucker because it would make a nice little system to have back in my bedroom. It might not scream but I think I could get MacWeb working on it. Until I find a mouse I don't know how much RAM I've got to play around with. How easily are 1MB SIMMs found?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
Thanks for the info man I appriciate it. I'm really hoping I can get an Ethernet card for the sucker because it would make a nice little system to have back in my bedroom. It might not scream but I think I could get MacWeb working on it. Until I find a mouse I don't know how much RAM I've got to play around with. How easily are 1MB SIMMs found?
SIMM RAM will be a little tricky to find. My suggestion is to find a smaller computer dealer that sells used stuff. They should have some old RAM for you.

I also forget to mention that once you take apart your SE, there should be the signatures of the Mac team inside there. I believe it's in the SE model. Anyway, if you end up taking it apart, make sure to look at the front of the case for those signatures. It's pretty cool!

Brad

Avon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2002, 12:39 AM

Call up this guy. Its not listed on the web page, but he has a ton of old mac stuff.

http://www.computertradeexchange.com/

He will have the ram, and probably the ethernet card. I know he has the correct mouse for that vintage and a superdrive if you want to upgrade.

A few years ago I set up an se in my room. I installed ipnetrouter

http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_ipr_overview.html

and set up ip forwarding encapsulated via appletalk. I set appletak to the serial port and set up a local talk network with thoes old school boxes or phonenet boxes....

Maclynx I belive worked best.

Oh yeah. Worked great, and I love using photoshop 1.0, there is just no way to do that simple stuff anymore....

Avon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:

I also forget to mention that once you take apart your SE, there should be the signatures of the Mac team inside there. I believe it's in the SE model. Anyway, if you end up taking it apart, make sure to look at the front of the case for those signatures. It's pretty cool!

Brad
They are at the back of the case. I dont remember if SE had them, but I think they do.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Avon:

They are at the back of the case. I dont remember if SE had them, but I think they do.
Front, back...it's all relative. Perhaps I meant to say the negative front. That desribes the back.

Actually I meant to say back. I've opened one of mine before and seen the sigs.

Brad

oeyvind
Senior User
Oct 13, 2002, 08:58 AM

Hmmm, here's some pictures of my old SE.

Forum Links
Forum Rules