Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Keep It or Sell It?

Keep It or Sell It?
Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 01:40 AM

Heavily upgraded Power Computing Power Center Pro 210. Now has Newer Tech MaxPowr G3 500MHZ Processor, 512MB of RAM, Yamaha internal SCSI 16x10x40 CD-RW, internal SCSI Panasonic DVD-RAM (can use up to 5.2MB double sided disks), 4.5MB & 2MB Seagate HD, ATI PCI Radeon Video Card, Orange Micto USB/FireWire Combo Card, Global Village 56K Modem. I also replaced the original power supply with an ATX 300W model. The unit runs OK on OS 9.1 with Toast 5.x CD Reader extension.

I got tired of the computer's slowness when used with Photoshop Elements, Nikon Scan (while using a Nikon CoolScan 4000 Film Scanner) and iTunes 2.x, perhaps caused by the <50MHZ system bus speed. It's been replaced by a refurbished Power Mac G4 466MHZ "Digital Audio" so the PCP 210 is about to go into storage. Should I just hang on to it for possible future use as a backup or maybe a server, or just sell it? What is considered a "decent price" if I intend to put it up for sale?

Eric

j45degrees
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2002, 10:32 PM

If you have the time for a hobby and want to have some serious fun with the machine you can use it for home automation. Check out http://shed.com/

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2002, 06:38 AM

Unless you absolutely need the money from it, I would highly suggest keeping it. It sounds like there are things in that computer that you could perhaps "borrow" for you new one: video card to drive a second monitor, DVD-RAM put in a FireWire case, etc.

Brad

Eric E.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2002, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The home automation thing sounds like fun, but I still live in a military housing unit. Getting my own home is still a few years down the road.

The PCP 210 had an Acard ATA-133 PCI card with two 80GB hard drives, and all of these were moved to the G4. If I know where to get FireWire drive cases that can accomodate SCSI drives, then I would have taken out the Yamaha CD-RW and the DVD-RAM too.

I'm not in big need of money. The only thing that's making me want to sell the computer is to lessen some clutter and not have it occupy any storage space. But I'm thinking of probably needing it for file storage and video editing in the future. I haven't done any research on it yet, but I'm thinking of hooking it up to the G4 via FireWire, or Ethernet if there's a PCI Gigabit Ethernet card that I can use with the PCP.

Eric

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2002, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Eric E.:
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't done any research on it yet, but I'm thinking of hooking it up to the G4 via FireWire, or Ethernet if there's a PCI Gigabit Ethernet card that I can use with the PCP.

Eric
Does a gigabit PCI card really speed up web browsing in old powermacs like say 9500/150? I would like to try this. I use a cable modem and on my Dell optiplex 700 mhz machine the web access is sooooo much faster/snappier than my 9500/150 machine running OS 8.6. Thanks for any pointers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules