Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > mmmminty fresh

mmmminty fresh
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2009, 03:26 PM

Customer bought their G3 iMac in today as they had finally filled up the hard drive and wanted more space.

It came in in it's original packaging, still had the plastic on the carry handle and the foot and was absolutely spotless. Inside was completely mint, not a speck of dust anywhere, wowsers! Running OS 9.0 with 128Mb ram. Anyways I loaded in an 80 GB drive and fitted 356MB of RAM but the customer wasn't interested in upgrading to OS X. They just use photoshop 5 to do some drawing etc, no internet or mail etc.

A mad moment formatting the new drive, had to pop it in the iMac and use the original os disk to format it since my Leopard server wouldn't format it in any readable way. I do so love transferring over these small drives. 4GB of user data doesn't take long to do,even over usb 1.0

I'll bet this iMac has a good few years left in it now!
( Last edited by Doc HM; Nov 3, 2009 at 03:40 PM. )
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

MrsLarry
Senior User
Nov 3, 2009, 03:56 PM

Well done! You saved it!

(About 1.5 years ago) I brought in my then 5 y/o "Original" (I'm not a big enough nerd to know what the kids call it these days) 17" PowerMac into the Apple Store for some sprucing up, and I was basically laughed out of the store. I bought an iMac, and convinced my PC-strictly hubby to finagle it. He managed, and now I use both regularly.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
(About 1.5 years ago) I brought in my then 5 y/o "Original" (I'm not a big enough nerd to know what the kids call it these days) 17" PowerMac into the Apple Store for some sprucing up, and I was basically laughed out of the store. I bought an iMac, and convinced my PC-strictly hubby to finagle it. He managed, and now I use both regularly.
What's a '17" PowerMac'?

Anyways, a local computer shop was giving away G4 350 Power Macs a few months back. I thought of picking one up, but then decided I'd just end up spending a bunch of money on it to upgrade it, so I stopped myself.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 3, 2009, 07:17 PM

I still have the one, the only, the original, FrankeniMac. The most modified 1st gen iMac in existence, that still retains it's original motherboard/CRT. Upgraded to 600mhz G3 Harmoni with Firewire, 160gig drive, 512 megs of ram, 8 meg voodoo2, 6 meg ATI Rage IIC, graphics, lights, and a bunch of other crap I can't remember. Currently just sits in the basement. Not really sure what to do with it. For a while I used it as a torrent server, but even transmission was too "heavy" for the G3.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2009, 07:43 PM

Still have my Cube, and Blueberry iBook.

Also have a PowerMac 7600. Yum.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MrsLarry
Senior User
Nov 3, 2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What's a '17" PowerMac'?
DOH! PowerBook

Sorry, caffeine lapse.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2009, 12:29 AM

i just pulled my Pismo Powerbook out of the cupboard to compare it to my new MacBook Pro (which I still call a Powerbook). I miss the sleek little guy, 6G hard drive, 400 Mhz. Style is timeless and processor speed/hard drive size is only now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules