Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 125)
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Well, I've officially joined the war.

Best Buy is offering 9 free movies with any Toshiba HD DVD player this week, and with the A3 now at $149 it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

300 and Bourne are in the box of course, but I also snagged the 5-disc Blade Runner and Children of Men.
Welcome to the club. A HDDVD player with 9 movies for $149 is an awesome deal. I enjoy rooting for the underdog as well, just as I have for the Mac.

Enjoy your hidef player.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 08:11 PM

PS3 fanboys should stop convincing those who bought a HDDVD player that is under $199 to get a $399 PS3. Just because someone who bought a hidef player doesn't mean they are willing to spend $400 on one.

My demand for a hidef player is under $200. Lateralus's demand for a hidef player is at $150. Our demand for a hidef player is not at $400. I have very low demand for a game console. I won't even buy a PS2 for $130 even it has the biggest library of all game systems.

Stop gauging consumer choice based on your own demand. Not everyone cares that much about 1080p or 7.1 channel lossless sound.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
PS3 fanboys should stop convincing those who bought a HDDVD player that is under $199 to get a $399 PS3. Just because someone who bought a hidef player doesn't mean they are willing to spend $400 on one.

My demand for a hidef player is under $200. Lateralus's demand for a hidef player is at $150. Our demand for a hidef player is not at $400. I have very low demand for a game console. I won't even buy a PS2 for $130 even it has the biggest library of all game systems.

Stop gauging consumer choice based on your own demand. Not everyone cares that much about 1080p or 7.1 channel lossless sound.
Then why buy HD at all? lol

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2008, 08:37 PM

My demand for a hidef player is under $200. Lateralus's demand for a hidef player is at $150. Our demand for a hidef player is not at $400.
If you live in the US, you can find deals for under 200 for refurbished blu-ray standalone units and some brand new units are being sold for less than 300 USD. I do not give a rat's ass if you buy a console or not. I just don't like seeing FUD spread around. If someone is going to by any significant amount of titles, you are more likely to spend less buying blu-ray versus HD DVD let alone HD DVD combo.

Trying to get movies that are normally distributed in north america under blu-ray will cost you if you go the importing route for the HD DVD version and now that companies like Constantin Films have switched to Blu-ray exclusive the supply of imports on HD DVD will dry up quickly.

Given all of this, if your goal is to buy movies in HD, you are better off with a blu-ray player otherwise you are limiting yourself to two studios and a handful of diminishing import releases.
( Last edited by aristotles; Jan 21, 2008 at 08:58 PM. )
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Then why buy HD at all? lol
Cheap HD is better than no HD.

I am still enjoying my free HD DVD player. So far there hasn't been anything on netflix that I wanted to rent that was BR only.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 08:45 PM

So let me get this straight.

You buy an HD-DVD machine today for $150, then in a year or so when the BR players are $150, you buy one of those since nobody's making HD-DVD discs anymore. I fail to see "cheap" since you paid for two players.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 08:52 PM

You buy an HD-DVD machine today for $150, then in a year or so when the BR players are $150, you buy one of those since nobody's making HD-DVD discs anymore. I fail to see "cheap" since you paid for two players.
Ya I don't get it either. THE COSTS IS NOT FOR THE PLAYER. IT IS IN THE DISKS!

Most people here prob have a $200 hddvd player and $1000 of movies on a dead format.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Same here. I hadn't heard anything about it until now, and I didn't know who this guy was either until now.

Anyways, whoever he is, it sounds like a couple of HD DVD geeks pissed him off and he now is holding a grudge against the entire format. So either he's a complete crybaby, or else he's very shrewd and he's using this as a way to generate free advertising.
*SIGH* You are perfectly capable of using google, the search on AVS and finding it yourself if you really gave a damn or had the intention of believing what you'd find anyway. Some of the threads were probably deleted by the mods at some point but there are references to the abuse on sites like blu-ray.com where some exchanges were archived.

The gentleman in question is a guy named Richard who works on the production of discs at R&B Films. HD DVD fans and insiders such as Amir (recently let go from MSFT) attacked his factual claims of how the Blu-ray version of Nature's Journey was encoded at a higher bitrate than the HD DVD version resulting in a slightly better picture. The red army did not like the fact that the bitrates of the two releases were written on the packaging.

I'm sure you don't believe a word I've just written but that's really not my problem. Have a nice day.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
If you live in the US, you can find deals for under 200 for refurbished blu-ray standalone units and some brand new units are being sold for less than 300 USD. I did give a rat's ass if you buy a console or not. I just don't like seeing FUD spread around. I someone is going to by any significant amount of titles, you are more likely to spend less buying blu-ray versus HD DVD let alone HD DVD combo.
My demand for a new hidef player is not at $300. My demand for a refurbished hidef player is not at $200. What don't you get?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:04 PM

Let me get this straight. If I buy a refurbished Profile 1.0 Bluray player for $200, then in a year or so I might have to buy a BR Profile 2.0 for $200 to take full advantage of the new Bluray disc. I know profile 2.0 is coming and Warner won't be releasing most movies to Bluray until it has Profile 2.0. Why buy a Profile 1.0 bluray player now when I know I'll want at least a profile 2.0 bluray player?

It's not like Bluray has every new movie release.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya I don't get it either. THE COSTS IS NOT FOR THE PLAYER. IT IS IN THE DISKS!

Most people here prob have a $200 hddvd player and $1000 of movies on a dead format.
I guess I am not most people. I have a HD DVD player that cost me $0 and a library of 5 HD DVDs that cost me $0. Total investment = $0.

Plus I have one of the best up-converting DVD players made.... hmmm... all for $0.

Now, netflix gets about $20/month, but hey, it's worth it. My days of buying movies I don't have time to watch over and over is over.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 09:06 PM

Let me get this straight. If I buy a refurbished Profile 1.0 Bluray player for $200, then in a year or so I might have to buy a BR Profile 2.0 for $200 to take full advantage of the new Bluray disc.
Har. I have a PS3. Profile 2.0. And even still, the MOVIE plays, you just don't get the special goodies.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 09:07 PM

Let me get this straight. If I buy a refurbished Profile 1.0 Bluray player for $200, then in a year or so I might have to buy a BR Profile 2.0 for $200 to take full advantage of the new Bluray disc.
CHEAP!!!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:09 PM

Har. I have a PS3. Profile 2.0. And even still, the MOVIE plays, you just don't get the special goodies.
Isn't it $400 for a PS3? Haven't we already gone over this? My demand for a Bluray player is not at $400 nor do I have interest in a game console.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
CHEAP!!!
It's called low demand.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 09:12 PM

Isn't it $400 for a PS3? Haven't we already gone over this? My demand for a Bluray player is not at $400 nor do I have interest in a game console.
Um, yeah, I don't really care about what YOU want, I'm stating the point that I already HAVE a 2.0 player.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:14 PM

Those who have low demand for a hidef player will buy a $149 HDDVD player with 9 movies. Enjoy their hidef players and rent from netflix, while they wait for the dust to settle on the hidef format wars. Maybe both Bluray and HDDVD dies in 2 years.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:15 PM

Um, yeah, I don't really care about what YOU want, I'm stating the point that I already HAVE a 2.0 player.
Well good for you. Stop convincing others to get a PS3 then.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:16 PM

I have a Pioneer laser disc player and about 20 movies
45/47

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 09:21 PM

Well good for you. Stop convincing others to get a PS3 then.
And, so, should I tell you to stop convincing others not to?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:21 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 09:37 PM

I guess I am not most people. I have a HD DVD player that cost me $0 and a library of 5 HD DVDs that cost me $0. Total investment = $0.

Plus I have one of the best up-converting DVD players made.... hmmm... all for $0.
I guess that answers why HD-DVD didn't win.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2008, 09:38 PM

And, so, should I tell you to stop convincing others not to?
I never try to convince others not to buy a PS3. I never try to convince others not to buy a Bluray player. If you love hidef and must watch spiderman and pixar movies in hidef, then get a bluray player. If you love to get a bluray player and also in the market for a game console, the PS3 is a deal. I never said you made the wrong choice in buying a PS3.

There is no problem with you recommending a PS3, but what you are trying to is convince others that they are making a wrong choice based on your own demand, not theirs.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 09:38 PM

The most ironic thing is that I got my HD DVD player and HDDVDs free for buying a Sony HDTV.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 09:39 PM

The most ironic thing is that I got my HD DVD player and HDDVDs free for buying a Sony HDTV.
OOOOh, and I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to a Sony TV. How scandalous!

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 09:40 PM

I guess that answers why HD-DVD didn't win.
Looks like BR is going to try the same tactic (see posts above).

And you conviently snipped the netflix comment. Telling.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 09:41 PM

OOOOh, and I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to a Sony TV. How scandalous!
Did you get the Xbox for free?

Please try to keep things in context.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 09:46 PM

There is no problem with you recommending a PS3, but what you are trying to is convince others that they are making a wrong choice based on your own demand, not theirs.
Uh, no. I'm saying that HD-DVD is pretty much dead. That's not what I say, that's what the whole damn industry said. And all I've ever said is that it's a great player. Please show me one post where I recommend a PS3 over ALL OTHER Blu-Ray players.

I'll wait.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 10:01 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 10:02 PM

And you conviently snipped the netflix comment. Telling.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 10:07 PM

By snipping the netflix comment you were trying to imply that the HD DVD format wasn't getting any money and that caused the failure. Obviously the format is making money by rentals.

But hey, looks like BR is going to be doing the same thing. Is that the death knell for BR? Personally, I'd like to see a different format come out and destroy both.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2008, 10:27 PM

By snipping the netflix comment you were trying to imply that the HD DVD format wasn't getting any money and that caused the failure. Obviously the format is making money by rentals.
I think you're reading a little too much into that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 10:28 PM

Yeah, that's what we need, a new format to start this crap up all over again.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2008, 10:33 PM

Welcome to the club. A HDDVD player with 9 movies for $149 is an awesome deal. I enjoy rooting for the underdog as well, just as I have for the Mac.

Enjoy your hidef player.
Thanks. I'm loving this thing. Blade Runner looks incredible.

And to make things better, I got Best Buy to apply a 12% off code to my order. Which means I got out the door with the player and four great movies for $132 before tax.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I think you're reading a little too much into that.
Probably. He's so vague it's nearly impossible to tell what he means. His posting and running are legendary in this thread.

Just for curiosity sake: What do you think he meant by his posts?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 10:35 PM

Yeah, that's what we need, a new format to start this crap up all over again.
Actually, it already exists. Digital downloads.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 10:39 PM

Actually, it already exists. Digital downloads.
We've already been through this. It will be competition SOMEDAY, just not soon. When I can OWN a 1080p movie WITH extras and download it from apple with no danger of it expiring, then call me.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 10:43 PM

We've already been through this. It will be competition SOMEDAY, just not soon. When I can OWN a 1080p movie WITH extras and download it from apple with no danger of it expiring, then call me.
You know what we should do? Repeat the past 10 pages. It'll be a lot of fun!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 11:11 PM

Probably. He's so vague it's nearly impossible to tell what he means. His posting and running are legendary in this thread.

Just for curiosity sake: What do you think he meant by his posts?
It means I remember I had you on my ignore list under my old user name and I guess I forgot about ya. Suddenly I remembered your over-reading and obsessing on my posts in a "legendary" Kevin fashion.

Farewell again...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 11:30 PM

Oh dear god, here we go...

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 11:52 PM

It means I remember I had you on my ignore list under my old user name and I guess I forgot about ya. Suddenly I remembered your over-reading and obsessing on my posts in a "legendary" Kevin fashion.

Farewell again...
You always tell me you have me on ignore and then always "forgot" to add it to your new username... It's getting old.

But, could you please explain to me why you snipped out the rentals part? Before you "ignore" me again. And also explain why you always post links to article and don't comment on them?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 PM

Sorry, I got a little glassy-eyed with all the name calling and disparaging remarks a few dozen pages ago. I also spent a little time outside and interacting with people. Don't you guys worry about me. I just popped in because I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about in this lengthly thread. Now I see it was just about nothing. Electronic phallus measuring if you will.

I thought you weren't big on the extras...

Yup, that was you.

What's your number?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 12:47 AM

Retailers Make More Room For Blu-ray | High-Def Digest

This quote made me lol:

"Obviously, Warner’s announcement has made us a little more cautious about how many HD DVDs we bring in," DVDEmpire's Shannon Nutt told Video Business. "But that’s not going to stop us from stocking strong on what we feel will be solid HD DVD releases, like the upcoming Bee Movie."

Yeah. Bee Movie. HD-DVD's saviour.
( Last edited by starman; Jan 22, 2008 at 01:32 AM. )

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 01:17 AM

I've been dreading this.....

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 01:59 AM

This quote made me lol:

"Obviously, Warner’s announcement has made us a little more cautious about how many HD DVDs we bring in," DVDEmpire's Shannon Nutt told Video Business. "But that’s not going to stop us from stocking strong on what we feel will be solid HD DVD releases, like the upcoming Bee Movie."

Ouch.

Actually, I shouldn't judge it before I see it. Well, maybe I will pre-judge it anyway. The trailers just looked stupid.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2008, 01:59 AM

LOL. That's pretty funny stuff. I guess the advantage of being format neutral is that I could actually watch this in HD if I decided to.

That said, the PS3 has to be the best BR player out there. It's the only one that's future-proof. Even if you don't play games, it just makes more sense.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 09:34 AM

Well, this is an interesting article:

BetaNews | Interview: Universal EVP Ken Graffeo says HD DVD is here to stay

I love this quote:

Over the course of the upcoming years -- the next 5, 8, 10 years -- physical media is still going to be dominant. That's not to say you're not going to have digital, because it's going to come, but it won't reach the masses very quickly.
So, goMac, are you saying you have more insight than the ExecVP of Universal, or is he just saying that because he's the co-president of the HD-DVD group?

I also find it interesting that despite the title of the article, he does use "corporate speak" like "no plans at this time".

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2008, 10:42 AM

Well, this is an interesting article:

BetaNews | Interview: Universal EVP Ken Graffeo says HD DVD is here to stay

I love this quote:

So, goMac, are you saying you have more insight than the ExecVP of Universal, or is he just saying that because he's the co-president of the HD-DVD group?

I also find it interesting that despite the title of the article, he does use "corporate speak" like "no plans at this time".
There is a little snip in the article where the guy from Universal takes a stab @ Sony by saying "If you go to a store -- let's say a Best Buy or a Circuit City -- and buy an HDTV and then you want to get your movies to look better, you go to the DVD section -- you don't go to the game section." (something like that).

If this is the case, then why exactly does Microsoft sell an HD DVD add-on (which cannot be used as a stand alone) and include a Universal title with it for free? Last time I checked, the 360 WAS a game console. It's OK for MS to do it, but not Sony?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 10:46 AM

Yup, good point.

I don't see why people are so against game consoles as having more than one function. Both the 360 and PS3 are damn good players. The PS2 didn't come under fire when it was one of the first cheap DVD players.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2008, 10:49 AM

Yup, good point.

I don't see why people are so against game consoles as having more than one function. Both the 360 and PS3 are damn good players. The PS2 didn't come under fire when it was one of the first cheap DVD players.
It did from most of us DVD owners as it was a pretty crappy DVD player.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules