Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Updating apps after changing Apple ID

Updating apps after changing Apple ID
Andrew88088
Oct 8, 2010, 07:10 PM

Basically, I changed my Apple ID because I had changed email addresses, and now when I update apps, I sometimes have to enter the password for my old account and sometimes the one for my new one. I understand that this is because of the apps I downloaded initially with my old account vs my new account, but is there any way that I can make them all fall under my new account? It's not the hugest deal, but it gets kind of annoying.

(wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section)

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 07:54 PM

I'm pretty sure that's a no.

Any reason you got a new ID rather than just changing the email?

Andrew88088  (op)
Oct 8, 2010, 09:16 PM

Actually, I think it forced me to create a new account. My ID is my email address. I didn't recall seeing the option to change just my email, but I could've missed it. Maybe I'll start the tedious task of deleting the ones I know fall under my old account and re-downloading them with the new.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 11:58 PM

You may have a problem because it won't let you change the email on your old AppleID to the new email, because someone (you) is already using that email as an AppleID.

You should be able to skirt around this by making a dummy email account (in gmail or somesuch).

If you change the email of the new AppleID to this dummy account, it should free up your actual email address, and then you can change the email of the old AppleID to be said proper address.

Did that make sense?

If you haven't bought many apps under the new account, I'd say it's worth it to go through the rigamarole.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2010, 12:10 AM

D'oh!

They stopped letting you change it in iTunes. You have to log into the Apple store and change it there.

Andrew88088  (op)
Oct 9, 2010, 01:00 AM

At this point, I'm too far in with the new account.. I think it'd be easier to just gradually re-install the apps leftover from the old account. Haha. Thanks for the help, though!

Forum Links
Forum Rules