Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > RCMP Officer puts another black eye on the force...

RCMP Officer puts another black eye on the force...
freudling
Banned
Jan 10, 2011, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Athens:

"It seems like every year now a few bad apples in the force do great harm. The other day a police officer was caught using excessive force in a arrest. It was caught on Video so unlike many allegations of excessive force this one can actually be seen. Its probably why its created such a reaction so far.

Before I post the video a little history on what happened.

From the responding cops point of view the only information they had was a man with mental problems, a x employe of a gulf course was seen at the gulf course with a gun. At some point shots where herd so it was a shots fired call. Thats all the cops responding knew. So I have no problems with how they first approached the man guns drawn. Up until that point it was fine and expected.

The problem was as the mean got out of the truck and was already mostly on the ground being totally compliant with the cops one officer did a wind up kick to the guys face knocking him over totally leaving a big pool of blood. The officer was not in any risk at all when he did it.

Now for the sad part, the details. The Guy was not a x worker but a current worker. He was off due to brain injuries received from a motorcycle accident a year before. He is a grounds keeper for the golf course and part of his duties was firing banger shoots at birds on the course to clear them. So he was licensed and had a permit and was basically just doing his job as part of his back to work training to get back to full working status. So basically a older man got his face kicked in for no reason. As a gun owner myself this kind of over reaction by police absolutely trouble me.

Video 1
Raw unedited high quality of what happened
YouTube - Kelowna BC police brutality RAW un-edited footage Jan 7 2011

Video 2
More in-depth report on what happened
YouTube - Kelowna RCMP Police brutality to law abiding individual

Personally I hope they throw the book at this officer. There is no doubt he will be charged but historically they never get much of a sentence. I hope in this case he gets a few years for his over reaction."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2011, 10:43 AM

My favorite part was where you fell for Doofy's bait, hook, line, and sinker.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Personally I tried to ignore both of them. ThinkInsane was right they took it to far. You and I have spatting pretty good with our different political and idealogical differences and its never gone beyond personal insults (mostly you given them) Doofy and freudling took it to a level of threating each other. Pathetic really.

One of the good posts on the other thread needs to be saved too from lpkmckenna

Can't wait for the badge-lickers to show up.

So yeah, cops continue to employ excessive force on a regular basis because there are no institutional repercussions. The only time cops ever get sh!t is when they are caught on video, and even then they rarely get fired or charged.

Oh, and the RCMP also thinks disclosure to the defence is too expensive: RCMP wants less strict rules on disclosure to defence lawyers - The Globe and Mail

RCMP wants less strict rules on disclosure to defence lawyers - The Globe and Mail

So now maybe it can stay on topic this time...
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
its never gone beyond personal insults (mostly you given them)
Can't wait for the badge-lickers to show up.
are you trying to catch-up?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2011, 12:37 PM

You and I have spatting pretty good with our different political and idealogical differences and its never gone beyond personal insults
How do you know my political and idealogical stances?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 01:23 PM

How do you know my political and idealogical stances?
I don't, but what I do know it seems yours conflict with mine a lot of the time unless you just like to disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2011, 01:51 PM

No bait. I made a comment pertaining to the incident and some pussy took exception to it.

Personally I tried to ignore both of them. ThinkInsane was right they took it to far. You and I have spatting pretty good with our different political and idealogical differences and its never gone beyond personal insults (mostly you given them) Doofy and freudling took it to a level of threating each other.
Bullshit. I didn't threaten anyone. I made comment that it seemed like a bit of a weak kick and someone decided that they are the country they live in (despite it being stated in the pol lounge rules that they aren't).

Now, if you want to carry on whining in your nice new thread, stop mentioning me... ...because if you keep coming out with bullshit about what happened in the other thread I'll continue to correct you.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No bait. I made a comment pertaining to the incident and some pussy took exception to it.
Sorry, I didn't mean it in a bad way.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2011, 04:34 PM

On topic please.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 07:37 PM

So in the news last night they are still holding the guy they beat the crap out of and are thinking of charging him with careless use of a firearm. I don't see how that will stick with crown. Doing his job, had the permits for what he was doing. I can't believe they are still holding him. Additional information about the guy assaulted by the cop, he has a bad back related to the motorcycle crash. He actually broke his back originally. So that explains why he was moving slowly when he got out of the truck, that and being 55 years old.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jan 10, 2011, 08:31 PM

So in the news last night they are still holding the guy they beat the crap out of and are thinking of charging him with careless use of a firearm. I don't see how that will stick with crown. Doing his job, had the permits for what he was doing. I can't believe they are still holding him. Additional information about the guy assaulted by the cop, he has a bad back related to the motorcycle crash. He actually broke his back originally. So that explains why he was moving slowly when he got out of the truck, that and being 55 years old.
What you're seeing is just due process. The police are doing a full investigation in order to dismiss what some [insert expletive] caller said when he/she called the police and told them a disgruntled employee had a gun and may have fired a shot at employees.

Statistically, Kelowna has the oldest population in all of Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if the caller was some older, retired person half crazy with nothing to do. But anyway...

The police did not do their job properly. They were called based on the pretense of someone who called stating these things. It wasn't fact. They are required to ascertain the facts on their own. Turns out, the man was under the employ of the Golf Course, where he was hired to shoot at geese and scare them away. From what the Kelowna RCMP Staff-Sgt. said, although he was not really supposed to be shooting geese away because he was on disability, he was not a disgruntled employee, nor did he fire shots at employees. He had a brain injury from a motorcycle crash a year ago, which makes him a bit slow I guess...

Outside of all of this, kicking someone in the face, when they are on all fours, who is fully cooperating with the police, is excessive force full-stop.

Living on the edge of the rough and tumble East End of Vancouver, and having worked the nighclub scene for 5 years in my younger days, I've seen enough police brutality to last several lifetimes. This is one of the most despicable I have seen because this person was fully cooperating and was older, who was not holding any weapons.

I see all kinds of crap daily here on the streets. Police beating on people, people fighting police. Racial tensions, steak outs down the street, gunshots... some people who are really kinda dangerous and bringing it on themselves.

But this guy... I feel incredibly sorry for him for all the reasons stated. My hat is off to the Kelowna RCMP Staff-Sgt. for basically stating that he was shocked to see what that police officer did, and carrying on with a full criminal investigation. You won't see the Vancouver Police Department take on that kind of accountability, ever.

Kelowna Daily Courier - Top Stories Page -

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jan 13, 2011, 05:32 AM

Cop is now suspended. Turns out, Buddy may have actually been asked by the golf course to be up there scaring geese away, even though the course's permit had expired for using a gun to scare geese away.

So far, nobody knows the name of the person who phoned the police. Whole community seems outraged, and a motion for the police officer's dismissal is currently in the works.

Buddy has still been recovering from his motorcycle accident. Doctors had removed part of his skull to account for brain swelling... now this, kick to the face. His family was there with him in court this week, and he has been released without a bail hearing.

I don't see how this is going to end any other way but the police officer's dismissal. If this was city police, I doubt there would be such accountability. Good old RCMP, at least they're still good at one thing: being a crown organization. Here's a rare example where a bureaucracy works for the better.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Cop is now suspended. Turns out, Buddy may have actually been asked by the golf course to be up there scaring geese away, even though the course's permit had expired for using a gun to scare geese away.

So far, nobody knows the name of the person who phoned the police. Whole community seems outraged, and a motion for the police officer's dismissal is currently in the works.

Buddy has still been recovering from his motorcycle accident. Doctors had removed part of his skull to account for brain swelling... now this, kick to the face. His family was there with him in court this week, and he has been released without a bail hearing.

I don't see how this is going to end any other way but the police officer's dismissal. If this was city police, I doubt there would be such accountability. Good old RCMP, at least they're still good at one thing: being a crown organization. Here's a rare example where a bureaucracy works for the better.
The goof deserves a 5 year sentence with at least 2 years behind bars. End of story. I actually feel sorry for him because of the other big news cases involving RCMP screw ups chances are he will be made a example of for the publics sake. To many have gotten nothing for to long and the public wants blood now.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jan 15, 2011, 06:23 AM

What a mess for the RCMP. Here's the latest interview with Buddy:

YouTube - Buddy Tavares

freudling  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2011, 03:10 PM

RCMP have basically pressed charges against the Officer. It was revealed that a similar situation had happened a year prior. It looks like he's being charged with assault, and that will likely go through.

I don't think he'll be a cop for much longer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
On topic please.
I can't find a topic in this thread. Please close it. KTHXBAI.

-t

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
RCMP have basically pressed charges against the Officer. It was revealed that a similar situation had happened a year prior. It looks like he's being charged with assault, and that will likely go through.

I don't think he'll be a cop for much longer.
I haven't seen anything on this for a while. Any info on his prior, like details?

Forum Links
Forum Rules