Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > so much for American Security

so much for American Security
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 06:04 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/0....ap/index.html

Thats just messed up, some one should get fired.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 06:20 PM

Some much for Canadian citizens.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 06:29 PM

LOL um ya let me guess we are not allowed to have a couple Phycos but you guys are ANyways he has duel citizenship, hes American and Canadian.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 08:28 PM

Don't you get tired of trolling on these boards with your anti-American posts?

You need to find the positives in life. Try to help your Canadian "Phycos".

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 09:50 PM

This is yet another non-issue being exaggerated by the drama queens.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2005, 10:07 PM

A non-issue? Why, because he was just a murderer and not a terrorist?
If this is a non-issue, then there is no reason to even talk about increasing border security. Looks like it's working fine.

btw: I think the borders are fine, but to call this a non-issue is pretty absurd. The border agents messed up.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 10:25 PM

The fact is, if they HADN'T let him go, and was contained someone would be posting here how the US has REALLY turned into a police state, arresting people for no reason.. etc.

Just anything to exaggerate and bitch about America.

We understand.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
The fact is, if they HADN'T let him go, and was contained someone would be posting here how the US has REALLY turned into a police state, arresting people for no reason.. etc.

Just anything to exaggerate and bitch about America.

We understand.
Well said.

At the time he crossed the border the Canadians were still ignorant of his crime. To have held him then would have been illegal.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
Don't you get tired of trolling on these boards with your anti-American posts?

You need to find the positives in life. Try to help your Canadian "Phycos".

Oh what the hell are you talking about, This wasent a Anti American thread you dumb ass, it was a post about the freaking border and how messed up this was, but your to dense to see this so what ever

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
A non-issue? Why, because he was just a murderer and not a terrorist?
If this is a non-issue, then there is no reason to even talk about increasing border security. Looks like it's working fine.

btw: I think the borders are fine, but to call this a non-issue is pretty absurd. The border agents messed up.

whats this mean is if your a American and you want to enter the country with intent to blow something up, what can the border do to keep them out?

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Oh what the hell are you talking about, This wasent a Anti American thread you dumb ass, it was a post about the freaking border and how messed up this was, but your to dense to see this so what ever
Oh, sorry. I was just assuming with your history of anti-Americanism that this was just another of your anti-American threads. /SARCASM]

What it should have been titled is "Canadian authorities are abysmally poor at catching criminals and alerting the US border patrol about possible criminals entering their country." Not "so much for American Security." Now don't you think that would have been more accurate.

Nice name calling. You lose.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 12:19 AM

whats this mean is if your a American and you want to enter the country with intent to blow something up, what can the border do to keep them out?
Huh?!?! You shift from addressing a person directly and then go on to addressing a situation not involving that person. VERY confusing.

I'll try to interpret:
What this means is, if you are an American and you want to enter the country with the intent to detonate a bomb, what can the border do to keep you out?

Is that the sentence you intended?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:20 AM

Oh, sorry. I was just assuming with your history of anti-Americanism that this was just another of your anti-American threads. /SARCASM]

What it should have been titled is "Canadian authorities are abysmally poor at catching criminals and alerting the US border patrol about possible criminals entering their country." Not "so much for American Security." Now don't you think that would have been more accurate.

Nice name calling. You lose.

Right so when some one comes to blow up your country you are going to relay on the government or security of that other country to place that nice little phone call to you saying he this guy is on his way. Perhaps your border guys should do there own work instead of waiting around for some one to call and say hey guess what you have so and so coming and he just killed some people. Come on who enters the border with weapons, bloody clothe and chainsaw and dosent raise a few eye brows? And this has nothing to do with Canadian Authorities, he didnt sneak into Canada he went to the US. There was nothing Anti American from this CNN story. And further more your Anti Canadian record is much much longer then Any Anti Washington/Bush posts I have made.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 12:37 AM

Right so when some one comes to blow up your country you are going to relay on the government or security of that other country to place that nice little phone call to you saying he this guy is on his way. Perhaps your border guys should do there own work instead of waiting around for some one to call and say hey guess what you have so and so coming and he just killed some people.
Has anyone come into the US and blown anything up from another country since 9/11? They have their ways of spotting terrorists.
Come on who enters the border with weapons, bloody clothe and chainsaw and dosent raise a few eye brows?
He never committed a crime in the US.
And this has nothing to do with Canadian Authorities, he didnt sneak into Canada he went to the US.
The Canadian authorities were clueless about a crime committed on their soil. What does that say about them?
There was nothing Anti American from this CNN story.
Nope, but your thread based upon their article was. Don't you think my porposed thread title was closer to the truth that yours? Honestly.
And further more your Anti Canadian record is much much longer then Any Anti Washington/Bush posts I have made.
Sorry, I posted one anti-Canadian thread when Canada was screwing up the beef industry. You start a new anti-American thread every week. I am not talking "Anti Washington/Bush". I am talking anti-American.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:51 AM

Wonder what would have happened if he was an Arab? Bet the colour alert system would have changed that day

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:57 AM

Everyone hates each other now that Intel will be inside of beloved Macs.

<sigh>

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

<sigh>
KERPLUNK!!! The sky is falling Chicken Little
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 01:01 AM

The topic said "so much for American Security"

maybe you should have worded it differently.

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 02:19 AM

<sigh>

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 02:58 AM

Kilbey, your paranoia is laughable.

A post is made regarding a story about a bloody, chainsaw, brass knuckle, sword, knife wielding dude getting across the border, and you automatically think it is an anti-American jab? All Athens said was "Thats just messed up, some one should get fired."

Then, you reply with this:

The Canadian authorities were clueless about a crime committed on their soil. What does that say about them?
Which I am sure in your mind was meant to be an insult. So, let me get this straight...

the daughter of the deceased discovered the bodies on April 26th. A suspect was immediately identified. The suspects car was found by police on a highway leading to a US border. An information bulletin was sent out to all police departments in areas the suspect may be in. The next day, approximately 24 hours after the Canadian authorities (as you call them) first had been informed that there was a crime scene, they had identified a suspect, discovered the suspects car, and provided information to police departments that led to the arrest of the suspect.

From discovery of the crime scene, to arrest of a suspect, in 24 hours. Where exactly is the cluelessness you mentioned?

You also made these intelligent comments:

Canadians were still ignorant of his crime
This one is ignorant on all levels, as it appears that you think we should be psychic, and able to know instantly when a crime is committed. Just in case you didn't know, the police aren't usually informed at the exact time the crime is commited. They are informed when the bodies are found, which in this particular case was 2 days after the time of death by one of the victims daughters. Sometimes it is an hour after the crime, sometimes it is a year. You apparently seem to think ill of the Canadian "authorities" for not knowing that two people were dead in a house... do American "authorities" automatically know this? Wow, that's pretty cool!

Canadian authorities are abysmally poor at catching criminals and alerting the US border patrol about possible criminals entering their country.
The suspect crossed into the US on the 25th of April, a day before the bodies were even discovered. I am not sure how the Canadian authorities could have alerted the US border about a possible criminal entering their country when they didn't know the crime had been committed yet. Maybe you again have some magic trick for law enforcement that the police don't know about?

Now, considering that the crimes were reported to the Canadian authorities on the afternoon of the 26th, and the suspect was arrest 24 hours later, I would say they did an excellent job of catching the criminal (along with the good work of the US police departments that spotted the person based on the information developed and provided to them).

Though I know of many incidents where US cops dropped the ball and made major screw ups, it isn't for me to insult them (as you have childishly done with our cops) as I know that police work is police work, and nationality has nothing to do with it.

Now, please return to your paranoia.
( Last edited by James L; Jun 9, 2005 at 03:07 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2005, 02:59 AM

Never call others dense when you can't spell worth a damn or use grammar properly.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 03:15 AM

I protest against the biased thread title, concocted by a person with a chip on their shoulder.

A more appropriate thread title would be:

Psychopatic, deranged, buggy eyed, lunatic Canadian, nazi and beheader gets by US security, following the advice of the RCMP.

So basically, this guy is being checked out by US inspectors, and they hold him for a few hours, while they do their checks.

The inspectors discovered that Despres was supposed to appear in a New Brunswick courtroom that day to be sentenced on charges that he had assaulted and threatened the nephew of one of his neighbors, according to Ahern.

Still, Ahern said, customs inspectors were advised by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that they couldn't take action against Despres for failing to appear in court because ''it was still early in the morning" and that it was possible Despres could appear in court later that day.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...rder_crossing/

Yeah, he was crossing the border into another country, but hey, he still might have appeared in court later on that day. This seems about as likely as Howard Dean keeping his mouth shut for the next 7 days.

And damn, was that guy creepy looking.

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
I protest against the biased thread title, concocted by a person with a chip on their shoulder.

Psychopatic, deranged, buggy eyed, lunatic Canadian, nazi and beheader gets by US security, following the advice of the RCMP.

So basically, this guy is being checked out by US inspectors, and they hold him for a few hours, while they do their checks.

The inspectors discovered that Despres was supposed to appear in a New Brunswick courtroom that day to be sentenced on charges that he had assaulted and threatened the nephew of one of his neighbors, according to Ahern.

Still, Ahern said, customs inspectors were advised by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police that they couldn't take action against Despres for failing to appear in court because ''it was still early in the morning" and that it was possible Despres could appear in court later that day.

Yeah, he was crossing the border into another country, but hey, he still might have appeared in court later on that day. This seems about as likely as Howard Dean keeping his mouth shut for the next 7 days.

Two things:

1) You forgot to mention that he has dual citizenship, so your suggested title also needs the word American in it.

2) When the RCMP were contacted, it was 7:30 in the morning. What time was his hearing? I have spent a lot of time testifying in court and I can think of very, very few times that a trial, hearing, etc started before 7:30 am.

Sounds to me like he hadn't actually missed his hearing yet, and that it was scheduled for that day. Can't take action against someone for not showing up at a hearing if the hearing hasn't even occurred yet, whether you would like to or not.

Finally, your chip on the shoulder new title suggests that the RCMP had advised to let a murdering beheader into the US. The person in question entered the US a day before the authorities had been informed that the murders had occurred.

It sound more to me like the RCMP said "he is booked for a hearing today, but hasn't technically missed it yet, therefore a bench warrant for his arrest for skipping the hearing cannot be issued yet, and therefore we cannot hold him". Then, a day later the person in question was a suspect in a murder, and the RCMP provided the info needed to secure his arrest within 24 hours.

Now, mind you, if we want to childishly bash each others cops we could discuss the two American cops who found one of Jeffrey Dahmers victims who had managed to escape from him, walked him back to the apartment (full of decaying dead bodies), and gave him back to Dahmers as they had decided it was a gay lovers spat, so Dahmers could kill him that night.

Yup, that was definitely superior police work.

And yes, he was definitely creepy looking!

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by James L
Two things:

1) You forgot to mention that he has dual citizenship, so your suggested title also needs the word American in it.
Ok fine, we can call him a Canadian-American, the Canadian part comes first, since that's where he was born. If I move to France and become a citizen (highly unlikely, obviously), I would be an American-Frenchman.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 04:09 AM

you know my point wasen't about the guy himself, but the fact that a person with a bloody chain saw can cross the border at will with out any real problems, thats what was messed up!

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 04:39 AM

you know my point wasen't about the guy himself, but the fact that a person with a bloody chain saw can cross the border at will with out any real problems, thats what was messed up!
I'm certainly not going to defend any incompetant border agents, if there is shown to be any incompetance on their part, but what can they really do in this situation ?

Have you seen the bloody chainsaw ? Any pics ? Is there like a few drops of blood on it ? Was it dripping with blood, like out of a B-horror movie ?

If they did just choose to hold the guy without any specific reason, they'd get groups like the ACLU and other friends of criminals and lowlifes, which would crawl out of their holes to defend the guy and his "rights", and charge that these "cruel" border guards are infringing upon the rights of others. Then, certain forum members on here would be whining about this poor guy being held for no reason, and how the USA detains "innocent" people.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 07:42 AM

These two belong together:

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead

Aah the plot thickens.

And agian I tell you if we were to have detained him for a long time, there would be outcries by the very same people saying it was being done illegally and how this was a police state.

There is no denying that .

No matter what we do, the whiners are going to complain.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 11:39 AM

All the terrorists have to do is hire a white guy and have him assassinate someone important or carry a bomb in.

I bet you a million to one that they would've detained him if he wasn't white.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2005, 11:49 AM

Well said.

At the time he crossed the border the Canadians were still ignorant of his crime. To have held him then would have been illegal.
Wrong, he was in contempt of canadialand's court for failing to appear for sentencing in a brutal, violent crime.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 9, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
All the terrorists have to do is hire a white guy and have him assassinate someone important or carry a bomb in.

I bet you a million to one that they would've detained him if he wasn't white.
Simple as that huh? A white guy? Did you give your post any more than 30 seconds thought before you hit submit reply?

You think it is sooo easy eh? Why haven't they done it yet? I'll answer for you, as you may have a hemmorage attempting to do so in an intelligent manner. They can't, and it isn't so easy as you typing words on your keyboard.

You'll bet me ONE MILLION DOLLARS to my ONE DOLLAR that they woudn't have detained him if he wasn't white? You are on. They frisk old ladies at the friggin airport and make people on crutches take off their shoes. What makes you think they wouldn't stop a white guy that is on some list somewhere?, or looked suspicious? You got a problem with profiling? Too bad. It works.

Pay up.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
You'll bet me ONE MILLION DOLLARS to my ONE DOLLAR that they woudn't have detained him if he wasn't white? You are on. They frisk old ladies at the friggin airport and make people on crutches take off their shoes.
You're absolutely right about the airport, but I was refering to the Canadian/U.S. border.

What makes you think they wouldn't stop a white guy that is on some list somewhere?
Because they've been taught to look for Eastern looking Muslims with apostrophes in their names, not Becky Rockwell, midwestern housewife.

or looked suspicious?
Chainsaws, machetes, swords, and knives not suspicious enough for you?

You got a problem with profiling
In terms of National Security, no.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 01:25 PM

You got a problem with profiling? Too bad. It works.
Yep, actually we don't profile enough, since idiotic PC rules waste time on searching 90 year old ladies, just to be fair. Screw the PC crap, stop wasting time, and profile away.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 01:27 PM

These two belong together:
They sure do, and I believe they would make for a lovely couple. They truly deserve each other.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2005, 02:23 PM

Wow, you guys bring the art of intelligent debate to a whole new level. Just for the hell of it, why don't you try having a conversation about a topic, instead of constantly pissing in each others cheerios. If you all just tried that, maybe, just maybe, something productive could come of it instead of everyone just flexing their superiority complexes.

I'm just sayin' is all...
Nemo me impune lacesset

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 03:29 PM

A million to one? Canadian or American?

Because, if it's Canadian, it's not worth betting for $.48.

Too bad he so easily forgets that the "shoe bomber" was a "white guy."

You want my PayPal for my payout?
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 9, 2005, 04:00 PM

Wait, I won.. stand in line. Send that $1,000,000.00 Canadian to [email protected]

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat
Too bad he so easily forgets that the "shoe bomber" was a "white guy."
No, but when I said "I was refering to the Canadian/U.S. border," what I really meant to say was... I WAS REFERING TO THE CANDIAN/U.S. BORDER.

Scroll up a bit, you twit.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 05:58 PM

Wait, I won.. stand in line. Send that $1,000,000.00 Canadian to [email protected]
Here, I'll put it in the form of a shoe up your ass cuz you people can't read.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2005, 10:51 PM

I'll put it in the form of "I'm going to start locking and editing a lot more threads and push to get a lot more people banned because you pack of children can't act like adults and get your panties twisted way to tight over a bunch of anonymous dorks in the political section of a macintosh message board".

Sit and marvel in the glorious glow of that run-on sentence while you ponder the error of your ways.

Love,
Think
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules