Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 crashes when inserting a zip disk

Mac OS 9 crashes when inserting a zip disk
Adeltoro
Mar 1, 2000, 06:28 PM

On a B&W G3 with apple sharing enable and a shared folder:
When the zip disk is inserted the G3 freezes. When forced quit it tries to quit out of file sharing.

On an 8500 without apple sharring enabled:
The finder unexpectedly quits when the zip disk is inserted.

All these problems started when upgraded to Mac OS 9. Any clues?

------------------
Alberto del Toro
adtCreative
[email protected]

Damien
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2000, 06:55 PM

Sound like you might have some background application trying to access the disk when it's inserted. For instance, virus-scanning programs will scan a disk when inserted into the drive.

Perhaps you have a virus-scanning program installed that isn't fully compatible with OS 9, therby causing your machine to crash when the program launches--triggered by you inserting the Zip disk.

There are also some disk cataloging programs that scan disks upon insertion.

------------------
Damien Barrett
http://www.mrbarrett.com

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2000, 09:48 PM

See if you have a file on your hard drive called "AppleShare PDS". The file is invisible. Delete the file, restart. See if this works.

Adeltoro
Mar 6, 2000, 12:34 PM

While deleting the applesharePDS helped the 8500 it didn't affect the G3 at all. I am still getting crashes from it, when ever I inser any type of media.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2000, 08:32 PM

Open the "Tools" program in the Iomegaware folder/Tools folder, select the disk and click on the icon with the 1 and 2. Now there is a "Special" item in the Menubar (top). Click: Do NOT update the driver on the disk and save your settings.
Now insert a disk and see what happens (try rebooting first).

Scott

hinky
Mar 8, 2000, 08:37 AM

I would really like to draw your attention regarding this Iomega problem to my own post, in the Third Party Software forum (I won't repeat it here as that really isn't the done thing!). I, too, am having nightmares with my iMac DV and a Zip 100 USB. I will check to see if any of the solutions thus far posted help, but in my case, even going so far as installing the IomegaWare software causes crashes and when it doesn't, I can't open any of the applications it installs because they freeze the system when they are in the middle of opening. Apple say it's Iomega's fault, Iomega say it's Apple's fault and neither of the moneygrabbers have done a damn thing to fix it in the way of either updated Apple extensions or updated IomegaWare. I've tried lots of things, and would really appreciate someone checking my other post in the other forum and getting back to me with possible solutions. Cheers!

------------------
Andy Hinkinson-Hodnett
[email protected]

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2000, 12:04 PM

OS 9 has driver for Zip. iMacs have problems with USB. No need for IomegaWare 2.1.1 except for tools - don't install anything into system folder though.

If you get a crash or freeze, consider - ethernet? - backup/reformat/clean install - and create a separate partition for emergencies and backups. Or FireWire drive.

I have ATAPI Zip 250 which Iomega doesn't support, works like a charm, BW/g3. "unsupported" is what iomega says. crap.

There are hundreds of messages on iomega forum - mostly imac users - waiting for minuet fix or something from iomega.

Greg

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2000, 12:16 PM

it should be shouted from the highest mountain at a sound pressure level that the whole world can hear:

DO NOT INSTALL IOMEGA SOFTWARE ON A MAC

MACOS HAS THE REQUIRED DRIVER ALREADY, IT IS INSTALLED WITH MACOS, YOU DO NOT NEED THE IOMEGA SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH YOUR IOMEGA PRODUCT AND AS YOU WELL KNOW THE IOMEGA SOFTWARE WILL LIKELY CAUSE UNTOLD AND NUMEROUS PROBLEMS ON YOUR MAC IF INSTALLED.

THIS HAS BEEN THE CASE FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS NOW, IT IS ONLY GETTING WORSE IT SEEMS, AND THUS MORE PEOPLE ARE HAVING TROUBLES WITH THIS ISSUE

PrePress
Mar 8, 2000, 12:44 PM

Have you checked for the prescence of the Autostart Worm Virus? The symptoms are indicative of this infection. As far as USB Zip's and iMacs - I use the Apple USB Driver connected through a 4 port hub and have NO problems. No problems either with OS9 for USB or SCSI Zip's.

Mike

cujo
Mar 8, 2000, 02:10 PM

I have B&W G3, and a sawtooth G4 w/ OS 9, and what I ended up doing with my zip 250 usb, is installing iomegaware 2.1.1 (which by the way, last I checked is not even available through the iomega website, I used http://www.versiontracker.com/ to find it). After installation, I just remove the "iomega driver" from the extensions folder, and everything works great, including iomega's icons, (not the mac replacements) and the drive options.

Chester V.
Mar 8, 2000, 06:39 PM

I have had the same problem with 7.61, 8.1 & 8.6. The main difference is that it only happens intermittently. When it happens, I have to force quit the file sharing extension and most times that does not work and I have to hit the reset button.

Bob White
Mar 8, 2000, 06:43 PM

This may be the conflict between the Iomega driver and the "all device" driver in Apple's newest ROM. I suffered grief on my new Graphite iMac, a USB Zip and OS9.0 until I discovered this item in a forum on Iomega's site. Apparently, Apple changed the ROM with no pre-announcements and the Iomega driver is simply incompatible with the ROM. After turning off all Iomega extensions, except the USB Driver A, I have not experienced any further crashes, non-recognition or frozen copying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules