Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Straight Pride Parade

Straight Pride Parade
andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2019, 11:43 AM

Violent group the Proud Boys are pushing for a Straight Parade during Gay Pride month.

Quite silly of them.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...RhM/story.html
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boston...than-you-think

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 10, 2019, 11:59 AM

In b4 Antifa.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Violent group the Proud Boys are pushing for a Straight Parade during Gay Pride month.

Quite silly of them.
So being proud of being gay is good / acceptable / virtuous, but being proud of being heterosexual is silly ?

Please explain.

FWIW - I think both side are silly if you accept the premise that sexuality is something you are born with.

However, if you believe you have / can exercise a choice, then you could be proud of it; but this should apply equally to both groups.

-t

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 10, 2019, 12:20 PM

As the Pride parade started as an act of protest for violence that happened during a police raid (it was illegal to be gay) then yes there is a difference. Straight people have not had to overcome this. There is no straight struggle, unless it's the neverending battle of who left the seat up.

The answer to the question "why can't we have straight parades" is that every other parade IS a straight parade. We can be proud of being straight, sure, but do we really need a parade?

Now that gays can marry, adopt, be elected an such, do they still need a pride parade? I'm glad to hear that you think it's what people are born with... but to many it's still an abomination and there is fear and hate.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 10, 2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
FWIW - I think both side are silly if you accept the premise that sexuality is something you are born with.
...and also you have to ignore the entirely of human history up to this point.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2019, 02:58 PM

This pretty much sums it up ....

OAW

reader50
Administrator
Jun 10, 2019, 04:02 PM

Slightly OT - I like to park beside handicap spots. Or beside a spot given over to cart returns. Because you can park away from other cars (by hugging the handicap walk, or hugging the cart return).

Avoids door dings from other cars. I'm sure they would leave their name and insurance under my windshield of course. But better to avoid it entirely. Wish regular spots were wider by default.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
As the Pride parade started as an act of protest for violence that happened during a police raid (it was illegal to be gay) then yes there is a difference. Straight people have not had to overcome this. There is no straight struggle, unless it's the neverending battle of who left the seat up.

The answer to the question "why can't we have straight parades" is that every other parade IS a straight parade. We can be proud of being straight, sure, but do we really need a parade?

Now that gays can marry, adopt, be elected an such, do they still need a pride parade? I'm glad to hear that you think it's what people are born with... but to many it's still an abomination and there is fear and hate.
Also come back with your "straight pride" when this stops happening.

London bus attack: Arrests after gay couple who refused to kiss beaten
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 11, 2019, 01:55 PM

these were teens. And I had hopes the younger generation were ahead of us on this.

At last week's pride day at school, my daughter told me that a friend came out, and another friend said she was bi, and all the friends were cool with it. I was proud of them for their self-confidence and care for each other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules