Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Hard Drive issue

External Hard Drive issue
bregalad05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2010, 11:40 AM

I have an external hard drive for my MacBook (using OS 10.4.11) which stores all my music and important documents. Occasionally, I have unplugged it or turned it off by mistake before ejecting it from the Mac.

My problem is that OS 10 won't mount it properly so that I can access the drive. Disk Utility recognizes it simply as a USB device. I have tried to verify and repair the disk, but it errors every time because of a "failure on exit"; it says "Volume needs repair". I have a version of Disk Warrior, but my MacBook won't boot from the disc in order to repair the hard drive.

What can I do? I am a student, so I don't have money to simply go out to buy repair software, is there a way I can repair it through OS 10?

-Q-
Sep 7, 2010, 11:45 AM

Can you install the Disk Warrior application on your Mac's hard drive? You should be able to then launch the application and have it see the external drive and attempt to repair it that way. I don't believe you need to boot from the DW disc to use it to repair an external drive.

ibook_steve
Sep 7, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Can you install the Disk Warrior application on your Mac's hard drive? You should be able to then launch the application and have it see the external drive and attempt to repair it that way. I don't believe you need to boot from the DW disc to use it to repair an external drive.
Correct. You don't. Just run DW with the disk attached. But unless you have a backup, it sounds like this disk could be toast.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

bregalad05  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2010, 12:17 PM

I tried to install DiskWarrior, but I think it is outdated because when I try to run the application it says it has "encountered an unexpected error. (2000, 256)." It's version 3.0.3

I think this has happened before and I was able to repair the volume no problem. Is there any other way to repair the drive? It's got all my music on it! It is supposed to be my "back-up" for my iPod. I would like to get another hard drive to use ONLY for back-up, but I can't afford one right now.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2010, 01:18 PM

If you're lucky, it might just be the enclosure that's failing rather than the drive. If this is the case, you might be able to open it up, take the drive out, and put it in another enclosure to get your files off of it.

If the drive itself is what's failing, though, then you're probably stuck.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules