Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > best buds under $100 for iPod?

best buds under $100 for iPod?
sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2002, 12:57 AM

I just recently got a 10gig iPod (score one for EQ!!) and it sounds great with my sony studio monitor headphones (MDR-7506's) but those are huge and just don't work well at the gym

So I was wondering if anyone can reccomend the best pair of ear buds for the iPod under $100? Please don't post replies about buds you haven't tried with the iPod itself - I've got a pair of buds that sound great on my discman, but sound awful on the iPod. I'm looking specifically for buds that sound great with Apple's wonderful invention Any and all advice is appreciated!
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

cschmelz
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by sirlexelot:
<STRONG>I just recently got a 10gig iPod (score one for EQ!!) and it sounds great with my sony studio monitor headphones (MDR-7506's) but those are huge and just don't work well at the gym

So I was wondering if anyone can reccomend the best pair of ear buds for the iPod under $100? Please don't post replies about buds you haven't tried with the iPod itself - I've got a pair of buds that sound great on my discman, but sound awful on the iPod. I'm looking specifically for buds that sound great with Apple's wonderful invention Any and all advice is appreciated!</STRONG>
I like the Sony 'nudes' in ear earbuds...They seal in your ear canal with a little double rubber seal..Great bass and isolate outside noise VERY well... Well worth the $70

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 05:24 PM

In past threads the Sony MDR-EX70 earbuds (did I remember that right?) have been recommended many times. They're the best sounding buds I've used, and I've had them for a couple of years now. Great bass and the silicone housings help block out more ambient noise, making your music sound better.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2002, 08:34 PM

mm, yeah....you wont get anything that sounds as good as your (my) veteran 7506's but the Sony EX-70's are phenomenal...

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2002, 10:53 PM

hey which sony headfones u got..the 'big' ones that is...since you have it. give me a short review please of how it sounds.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

sirlexelot  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by dvd:
<STRONG>hey which sony headfones u got..the 'big' ones that is...since you have it. give me a short review please of how it sounds.</STRONG>
My sony headphones are their tried and true MDX-7506 reference headphones, which run roughly only $100 these days - it's really a sweet deal. I do a fair amount of audio recording and digital video editing, and I swear by these headphones. Sure, there may be better headphones out there that are a lot more expensive, but these sonys really are the industry standard. Nex time you watch the Howard Stern show, take a look at what headphones EVERYONE is wearing. Okay, not necessarily a shining example of recording excellence, but it's the easiest example coming to mind right now

Basically, these headphones demonstrate the fact that the iPod really does have a fairly high-quality amplifier. I've done a ton of A/B comparison between certain songs on the iPod at 192khz and the same songs on my home theater system on CD, and the quality the iPod manages to put out is pretty damn close. These headphones themselves have exceptionally clear sound, as well as very deep bass and extremely sharp highs. If you're looking for good solid high-quality workhorse headphones, these are the ones to get! That's my story
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

sirlexelot  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2002, 12:13 AM

oops, MDR-7506, not MDX
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

Naplander
Senior User
Apr 9, 2002, 05:24 AM

I recently got the Sony MDR-EX70SL "NUDE EX" earbuds in white.

They are a perfect match for my new 10gig iPod, and they sound great.

Do some searching on the net for them, they rock.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

lextek
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2002, 06:07 AM

You might want to try the Sennheisser MX-500's.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2002, 06:38 AM

Also got a pair of the Sony "nude" earbuds. Best, best, best! Check out www.minidisco.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules