Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > I would need an advise...

I would need an advise...
bahia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 11:57 AM

Hi everybody,

omebody could advise me regarding sites like "Tripod" or "Geocities" to build a web site using web-based tools and not HTML?
Which one is the best or may be there are other ones that are better?

Thanks and happy new year 2004!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 08:34 PM

Both are quite average. Try www.mac.com - 60 day free trial.

bahia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Both are quite average. Try www.mac.com - 60 day free trial.
thanks!
i was more looking for a free service..

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 10:17 PM

Geocities, Tripod, etc. all plaster huge, ugly ads all over your site. I would not want to use one of these services; they can both make the best website look terrible. They also don't offer any support for PHP or MySQL if you wanted to get into that sort of thing.

I would suggest .Mac if you're looking for something basic, or otherwise just get a good, inexpensive web host.

1&1 (http://1and1.com/) is giving away free hosting for 3 years without ads to try and get into the US market, no credit card required. You'd still have to buy a domain name, but that is a relatively small expense. They are a full-featured host, unlike Tripod and Geocities.

Another thing about services like Tripod and Geocities is that if your site gets more than just a few hits you will find your site mysteriously "suspended" for the rest of the month.

bahia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Geocities, Tripod, etc. all plaster huge, ugly ads all over your site. I would not want to use one of these services; they can both make the best website look terrible. They also don't offer any support for PHP or MySQL if you wanted to get into that sort of thing.

I would suggest .Mac if you're looking for something basic, or otherwise just get a good, inexpensive web host.

1&1 (http://1and1.com/) is giving away free hosting for 3 years without ads to try and get into the US market, no credit card required. You'd still have to buy a domain name, but that is a relatively small expense. They are a full-featured host, unlike Tripod and Geocities.

Another thing about services like Tripod and Geocities is that if your site gets more than just a few hits you will find your site mysteriously "suspended" for the rest of the month.

Actually I could have free web hosting through my internet provider.
My problem is how to design the site, how to build it, since i don't know HTML..

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 10:11 AM

Sorry for misunderstanding.

In that case, I would suggest Adobe GoLive or Macromedia Dreamweaver, both of which are excellent visual (no HTML required) HTML editors.

They're aren't free, but they work extremely well. They also can be used with a combination of visual editing and HTML editing, so if you were trying to learn HTML you could work with it as well, but always have the visual interface to fall back on.

bahia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Sorry for misunderstanding.

In that case, I would suggest Adobe GoLive or Macromedia Dreamweaver, both of which are excellent visual (no HTML required) HTML editors.

They're aren't free, but they work extremely well. They also can be used with a combination of visual editing and HTML editing, so if you were trying to learn HTML you could work with it as well, but always have the visual interface to fall back on.
OK, thanks a lot!
I will take a look..
Talk to you soon.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by bahia:
OK, thanks a lot!
I will take a look..
Talk to you soon.
Note that if you're going to be building your own Website, it really is in your best interests to learn HTML. Even if you never code a single page by hand, knowing how HTML works will serve you well when it comes to making sites, even in visual editors.

This is my favorite HTML tutorial site. It's very basic -so it's good even for a complete newbie- but it provides you with a solid foundation for learning the advanced stuff, in case you become interested in learning more.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

robinpow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 04:11 AM

If you want to do it for free... use your IP's free space and down load a copy of Netscape.

I'm sure some folks are chuckling, but for doing a simple site, it works! That's where I got my start.... Netscape Gold 2.0 of course back then it was a hundred dollar program.

Good Luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules