Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is Jag worth it?

Is Jag worth it?
robinpow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 03:32 AM

Would love some thoughts on Jag. Right now I have a dual 800 with OS X. and a powerbook with Panther. It's time to get the two computers on the same page, so I'm trying to deside rather to upgrade the dual to Panther, or just go ahead and do both with Jag.

Since I'm new to this group you don't know my taste/background.... I'm one of those who gave up her OS 6 kicking and screaming. Held off until 7.5, and then only when my new Mac came with it. And while my G/400 came with OS X I never touched it, as mater of fact I've never used X on my dual!! However like the last time, it was a new Mac that made me, try something new...the 15" Powerbook. ;-) Now that I have adjusted to the new way of doing things, I live in X.

Is there any problems with Jag and any of the major software/hardware?
Is it worth the $?
( Last edited by robinpow; Jan 5, 2004 at 03:48 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 04:18 AM

Wait, so you're considering downgrading one of your computers just so both will have Jaguar? That's ridiculous! If you've got Panther, go with Panther! It's better than Jaguar.

robinpow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 04:22 AM

Oops that's what happens when you post at 2 a.m. and blond.

What I ment was I have Jag, should I upgrade to Panther?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2004, 04:30 AM

i would. yep.
ice

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 04:55 AM

It's not. Neither the new Finder look, nor Expos� or the networking weirdness is worth that price (Finder still buggy too), but you must know yourself. You know what's new and what you might like and what not.
For me the best in 10.3 is the return of labels, but that's about it.

-

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:57 AM

I, like you, gave up OS9 kicking and screaming - especially after running the dog-slow OSX public beta on my cube.

But OSX has come a *long* way, and I cannot go back to using OS9 anymore (except for nostalgic purposes).

In that sense, i cannot go back to jaguar. Panther's new finder with sidebars combined with spring loaded folders is incredibly useful. Exposee is great. And just the UI feels *much* more responsive to me. And fast user switching is a must if you have friends/relatives/family/significant others who like to use your laptop/machine.

I say go for the upgrade. Unlike Windows, each upgrade gets better and faster.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2004, 06:05 AM

You've got a PowerBook with Panther. Play with it, and decide if you enjoy using that machine more than the other one to a sufficient degree that you'd like the dual to be running Panther.

I myself would upgrade it, but opinions differ. In the end, it's whether the new OS works well for what you are doing with it that matters most.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

booboo
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 06:07 AM

10.3 re-instates Labels which a lot of old-time Mac OS users need, and introduces Expose which is functionally superior to Windowshade.

Also, it's finally nearly as snappy� as OS 9

The only downside to 10.3 is incompatibility (a graphic redraw bug) with certain high-end audio app's, notably Cubase SX . . .

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by booboo:
The only downside to 10.3 is incompatibility (a graphic redraw bug) with certain high-end audio app's, notably Cubase SX . . .
No problems with Logic here at all.

And apparently, Cubase SX has been updated for Panther (Version 2.0.1.10).

And Panther is *so* much better than Jaguar in every regard (not the least of which is audio performance) that it is *well* worth upgrading to.

Expos� alone is worth the price of admission - it is the most-used OS feature of all on my systems.

-s*

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 02:06 PM

Just to add my own commentary: I too would go for Panther. At first it seemed a bit problematic with the Firewire bug etc, but after having used it for a month now, I would say that it is really much better on older hardware and in general finally makes OSX easier to use than OS9 (Spring loaded folders, doesn't lose selected files in another finder window, labels, expose etc.) I have it on both my TiPB and my old Lombard.

That said, I still have an OS8.6 partition on my Lombard for some old devices that don't have drivers in OSX, like my old Wacom tablet.
weird wabbit

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by robinpow:

Ah, ok then

Play with your Panther system long enough to decide whether or not the problems are big enough to cancel out the benefits. (In my opinion it's definitely worth the upgrade, but YMMV.)

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 04:52 PM

If you're already using any form of OSX, then Panther is a "must-have" upgrade, in my opinion. The speed boost alone is worth it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2004, 05:25 PM

In my opinion, Mail.app alone is worth the upgrade. That being said, I only paid $69 for the upgrade. For me, it's more of the clean-up Apple did on the OS that I love.

Come tomorrow, you may have many more reasons to upgrade (new iLife iApps that require Panther)

I LOVE iPhoto, and use it regularly, but it's DOG F@#$ing SLOW.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Come tomorrow, you may have many more reasons to upgrade (new iLife iApps that require Panther)
You know these requirements are there so you're lured to buy. There's nothing missing in 10.2 that new iApps would require to run except the version number.

-

ambush
Banned
Jan 5, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by robinpow:

Just take your PB15" 's OSX Install CDs!! And install on your PowerMac!

Forum Links
Forum Rules