Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OK buying a 12", who's got the best deal

OK buying a 12", who's got the best deal
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2003, 10:07 PM

Buying a 12" for my wife and I'm not interested in free bags, a printer I don't want or discount software.

Anywhere offerring free airport card or extra ram.

I'm searching everywhere I can, but thought I'd see if anyone had come up with a good deal.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2003, 10:26 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 10:49 PM

Exactly as he pointed out, OR, buy used & save tons.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2003, 01:15 AM

Bought mine as a refurb from Apple. Combo, maxed out RAM, AE. 2 year full warranty. Euro1800 including tax and delivery.
No signs of use anywhere, basically a new machine.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 08:49 AM

Got mine from Apple by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. I'm a college student, so I got the educational discount ($100), plus the sales rep took an additional $75 off. The day before my PB shipped, Apple cancelled the order, and opened up a new one that included a free AE card and a free 512MB stick of memory pre-installed. I had to pay sales tax, but the discounts and freebies I got more than covered that. I ordered the week of WWDC, so maybe I caught Apple in a generous mood or something. I dunno, but girl in one of my classes (hubba hubba) had the same thing happen to her when she ordered a dual 1.4GHz Powermac a week before I ordered, we both used 1-800-MY-APPLE. Wierd.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

tisoncam
Jul 18, 2003, 09:39 AM

powermax.com--I think you can get additional RAM for $30 or something or if you belong to a MUG the MUG store has some good deals

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by slow moe:
Got mine from Apple by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. I'm a college student, so I got the educational discount ($100), plus the sales rep took an additional $75 off. The day before my PB shipped, Apple cancelled the order, and opened up a new one that included a free AE card and a free 512MB stick of memory pre-installed. I had to pay sales tax, but the discounts and freebies I got more than covered that. I ordered the week of WWDC, so maybe I caught Apple in a generous mood or something. I dunno, but girl in one of my classes (hubba hubba) had the same thing happen to her when she ordered a dual 1.4GHz Powermac a week before I ordered, we both used 1-800-MY-APPLE. Wierd.
slow moe: You sure got a great deal by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. Maybe I'll have to do that instead of ordering online when I get my Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook (as soon as it's released). I'm a student at least until December, so I'll definitely take care of educational pricing.

On a related note, how do you like your Sony SDM-X72? Assuming the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook still doesn't feature DVI-out, the SDM-X72 will be one of the displays at the top of my list. I like its looks. And the DVI plus dual-VGA inputs would make sharing the monitor between my PowerBook and Mac and Windows desktops a breeze, without a KVM switch. What do you think?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by escher:
slow moe: You sure got a great deal by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. Maybe I'll have to do that instead of ordering online when I get my Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook (as soon as it's released). I'm a student at least until December, so I'll definitely take care of educational pricing.

On a related note, how do you like your Sony SDM-X72? Assuming the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook still doesn't feature DVI-out, the SDM-X72 will be one of the displays at the top of my list. I like its looks. And the DVI plus dual-VGA inputs would make sharing the monitor between my PowerBook and Mac and Windows desktops a breeze, without a KVM switch. What do you think?

Escher
It certainly wouldn't hurt to use 1-800-MY-APPLE, you could always cancel your order I suppose, if you feel you're not getting the best deal or something. I just have this thing where I like to deal direct with a company.

I really like my monitor. As you noted it does have three hookups, so it is possible to hook three computers to it at once and then switch between them using a button on the monitor. Image quality is very very good as well. I've had mine since January, sometimes it's on for days at a time, and still no dead pixels. It also has built-in speakers and a headphone jack. It's very well made, solid feeling, and it's cabling is well designed and hidden. I like it's appearence too, mine's black.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I mainly use it for Photoshop and QuarkXpress projects that are just too big for the PB's screen. I also have a PC hooked to it, but the PC is only used to share a wireless internet connection.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

Moosecat
Jul 18, 2003, 04:59 PM

I just had a really good experience with Amazon. They have a $100 rebate (which is effectively a free Airport Extreme card), no sales tax, and no shipping if you take the "super saver" shipping.

Here's the real kicker: I ordered a 12" from Amazon using Super Saver shipping yesterday morning. It's supposed to take something like 10 days. Guess what's sitting next to me right now, charging? Yup. For some ridiculous reason, it arrived in one day. You certainly can't count on that, of course, but you can hope.

Plus, if you use an Amazon.com Visa, which I did, you will qualify for about $50 in Amazon.com gift certificates. I shop on Amazon all the time, so that's like cash for me. And I already had $50 in such promotional certificates, so that was a further discount for me.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2003, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd like to shop with apple, but you have to pay sales tax. When I bought my Tibook in November, buying from macmall saved me over $200 in taxes, which meant I effectively got the superdrive for free.

I'll buy from a retailer out of state for that sort of price difference.

j.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

hart
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 04:42 PM

I like Small Dog Electronics for refurbs but you need to leap a minor obstacle to get into their small dog club to be eligible to buy actual computers.

But they have specials and packages all the time.

Support the Little Guy!

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Buying a 12" for my wife and I'm not interested in free bags, a printer I don't want or discount software.

Anywhere offerring free airport card or extra ram.

I'm searching everywhere I can, but thought I'd see if anyone had come up with a good deal.

Cheers,

J.
How about playing stupid and trying to get one with educational discount through a friend or someone else you know in the education business.

Buy an Ipod at the same time and you are eligible for another US$200 mail in rebate.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by beachmark:
How about playing stupid and trying to get one with educational discount through a friend or someone else you know in the education business.

Buy an Ipod at the same time and you are eligible for another US$200 mail in rebate.
If I find someone in education, can I still pay for it on my credit card, and can I register it in my name??

Where's the rebate if you buy an ipod at the same time. Does it only apply to educational purchases.

Thanks,

J.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2003, 06:53 PM

Amazon.com seems to have a great deal, especially because you don't have to pay sales tax. Is it also possible to use an education discount at Amazon or another 3rd party retailer?

Q27
Jul 21, 2003, 07:15 PM

Well I am thinking about getting a new mac too. I have been looking at the Apple store. Just a few questions about the apple store when ordering. Where does the order ship from? (If I am in Connecticut, will it ship from a local warehouse or the Apple Store that is in the Westfarms Mall?) How long does it take the Apple store to process orders? Just wondering, because I was thinking about getting a new laptop before vacation, and I wanted to know how much time I should give them to get it to me on time.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Q27:
Well I am thinking about getting a new mac too. I have been looking at the Apple store. Just a few questions about the apple store when ordering. Where does the order ship from? (If I am in Connecticut, will it ship from a local warehouse or the Apple Store that is in the Westfarms Mall?) How long does it take the Apple store to process orders? Just wondering, because I was thinking about getting a new laptop before vacation, and I wanted to know how much time I should give them to get it to me on time.
If you plan on buying a mac basically stock (or with added memory... the Apple Store's will add memory for you on the spot) then your best bet will definitely be going to your local Apple Store itself.

More than likely they'll have whatever mac you are looking at in stock (call them beforehand to make sure though) and you can walk out of the store with it in hand.

Ordering on the online Store will take a couple of days. I estimate maybe 1-3 days for them to process your order, and then the shipment time, so perhaps 7-9 business days.

Hope this helps. Have a good vacation.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 11:35 PM

Might want to check out powerbook central to see what kind of deals they are tracking. Also, my personal practice is only to order from apple if I have to get a BTO (which i did for my 12") otherwise it is usually cheaper to order from someplace else that doesn't charge sales tax. If you don't want the bundles you can still earn back some $ by ebaying off, or simply looking for bundles taht you could use, like an airport extreme card which you might actually use or an extra battery. If you absolutely have to have it today then i suppose I would rather purchase from an apple store than a compusa or something of that ilk, but for anything else delivery only takes a few days in most cases. The money you save on not paying sales tax is usually quite substantial. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: oh yeah, another thing that I remembered. Some campus stores have the best discounts of all. You usually have to pay tax, but you can often find prices that are closer to educational institution prices rather than the edu individual prices and very often can BTO this route also. I wish that I would have know about this when I first ordered. I have heard that Stanford, Harvard, Parsons have these kind of discounts and I have also seen them at my old school, NYU. Just an FYI if you can take advantage of it.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by slow moe:
I really like my monitor. As you noted it does have three hookups, so it is possible to hook three computers to it at once and then switch between them using a button on the monitor. Image quality is very very good as well. I've had mine since January, sometimes it's on for days at a time, and still no dead pixels. It also has built-in speakers and a headphone jack. It's very well made, solid feeling, and it's cabling is well designed and hidden. I like it's appearence too, mine's black.
slow moe: Thanks for the feedback on your Sony LCD. It looks like that's the one that I'll go with if the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook doesn't add DVI-out.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

slimmy
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 08:55 PM

For sloemoe:
how's the Sony monitor connected to the PB12" VGA port? Crisp? I plan to do the same (already have the Sony SDM-X72 LCD monitor, not the 12" PB; am using an older TiBook.)

Originally posted by escher:
slow moe: Thanks for the feedback on your Sony LCD. It looks like that's the one that I'll go with if the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook doesn't add DVI-out.

Escher

mosch
Aug 6, 2003, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
If I find someone in education, can I still pay for it on my credit card, and can I register it in my name??

Where's the rebate if you buy an ipod at the same time. Does it only apply to educational purchases.

Thanks,

J.
I really doubt it. There's some auditing of the program, and Apple states that they have the right to adjust the educational price to the regular price and bill you if you don't actually qualify for the discount.

That being said, I'm not sure if Apple agrees with me or not, but I believe that educators have the right to give somebody a new computer as a gift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules