Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PowerBook - To trade up or not?

View Poll Results: Having read my post, should I "trade up" my RevA 12"?
Poll Options:
Yes. Faster and better. 4 votes (20.00%)
No. Keep it. 16 votes (80.00%)
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll
12" PowerBook - To trade up or not?
DanielPritchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 04:05 PM

So here's my dilemma. I got my 12" PB about June 8.

I'm liking the RevB PowerBook because (a) L2 Cache, and (b) 133MHz more clock speed, I guess.

I got this computer for:
$1279 - 12" w/ Combo Drive
$40 - ->60GB HD upgrade
$79 - AirPort Extreme Card.
--------
$1398

This, of course, reflects a 20% discount. If I buy a RevB, I know I won't be eligible for that discount again, so it'll be $1,399 for the base model with Education Discount (which I can still get), and then addding the same extras would bring me to $1533 + tax.

The advantage I have, though, is that the base model 12" (RevA/B) sold/sells for $1599. Mine would have sold for $1748 retail. So I think I can probably get $1599 or so for it on eBay. What do you think?

As far as resale condition, it's really in great shape. There are only two tiny scratches (3mm on the side by the combo drive and a little mark on the battery's front surface).

The beauty of it is, if I eBay'ed it, it would be really easy to do the switchover... I could take the money from the eBay sale, order the PB with fastest shipping, then when it gets here put one in target mode and copy my stuff, then restore it before I ship it.

So does anyone think it would be worth the trouble? Or does anyone thing it would be a bad idea for some reason?

Jalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by DanielPritchard:
So here's my dilemma. I got my 12" PB about June 8.

I'm liking the RevB PowerBook because (a) L2 Cache, and (b) 133MHz more clock speed, I guess.

I got this computer for:
$1279 - 12" w/ Combo Drive
$40 - ->60GB HD upgrade
$79 - AirPort Extreme Card.
--------
$1398

This, of course, reflects a 20% discount. If I buy a RevB, I know I won't be eligible for that discount again, so it'll be $1,399 for the base model with Education Discount (which I can still get), and then addding the same extras would bring me to $1533 + tax.

The advantage I have, though, is that the base model 12" (RevA/B) sold/sells for $1599. Mine would have sold for $1748 retail. So I think I can probably get $1599 or so for it on eBay. What do you think?

As far as resale condition, it's really in great shape. There are only two tiny scratches (3mm on the side by the combo drive and a little mark on the battery's front surface).

The beauty of it is, if I eBay'ed it, it would be really easy to do the switchover... I could take the money from the eBay sale, order the PB with fastest shipping, then when it gets here put one in target mode and copy my stuff, then restore it before I ship it.

So does anyone think it would be worth the trouble? Or does anyone thing it would be a bad idea for some reason?
What will you do if a 1.33 GHz 12" appears in january? My point being that staying up to date will be very expensive in the long run, and will the difference really be worth it? Not for me it won't, even though my 12" is from july...

DanielPritchard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Jalu:
What will you do if a 1.33 GHz 12" appears in january? My point being that staying up to date will be very expensive...
I agree totally. I wouldn't do this every time, but I think right now I have an opportunity to get enough money out of selling this computer to get the new one. And I think that L2 will probably make a difference. As far as clock speed, I don't really care. Plus, I'll bet the RevB won't wobble!

Jalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 04:39 PM

Well, my Rev. A. doesn't wobble either. Needless to say I am very happy with it.

But if you could upgrade without loosing money on it, I'd say go for it.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 04:43 PM

I love my rev a 12 and i got mine in early september. This 12 runs WCIII very well, and keeps me productive when im not having fun hehe. It was a great purchase.

Do as you wish though, but if what you got now does what you need it to do then it is not worth it in my opinion.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 05:55 PM

I would say stick with your current PB i mean i know that i love my little beauty and i got it in early september as well, so it is pretty dam new and old at the same time!! lol, but i know that it will stick with me for at least 3 more years! and once the 1gig RAM chips drop in price pop one of those in there and boom you got a new machine!! lol :-)

But if you really want the new one then go for it, it is your cash! and i guess if you do heavy video stuff and whatnot the added speed and RAM would help!
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

donutogre
Sep 17, 2003, 06:02 PM

regardless of how much it sold for in the past, your computer is a)used and b)old technology. you won't get close to that amount, even though stuff on ebay usually goes for a bit more than its worth (as far as apple stuff goes anyway). you wouldn't have even gotten that much a few months ago, to be honest.
~nate

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 06:16 PM

Are you having speed issues that a 20% increase would solve? The reasons you state don't seem very good reasons to upgrade.

Now, if you have some critical USB 2.0 devices that you'd like to use at full speed... or a great DVI monitor that you can't take advantage of... well, then it might be a reasonable upgrade.

I have an August-bought PB12... and I won't be upgrading, either. My external devices are all FW400, USB1, or VGA anyway.

HTH.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 06:20 PM

You will be giving away your money unless some guy actually buys your book for that price. I say see if you can get close to the sale price you are asking for first. No harm in that.

They should have upgraded the 17" GPU to 128 MB ATI. I would never upgrade right away. I would wait for the next 2 revisions at least so I could actually FEEL a BIG speed difference in my new Powerbook. I can't really say that even after upgrading from a 667 DVI Ti to my new 17"; only a moderate speed difference. To all you 667 DVI users out there; you may have chipping and flaking but you have one quick, quiet and cool running machine still.
And if I am not mistaken the 667 DVI and the 12" are comparable due to the 667 L3 cashe. So I know the rev A 12" performs well also.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 09:20 PM

I'm thinking about ebaying my maxed out 12 PB and going for the new 15 PB (superdrive). I do not see any reason to sell my 12 to get the rev B 12 but the 15. I know I'll take a hit as far as price goes but thats ok it wont ne too bad.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

n_lim
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 09:55 PM

I will be holding on to my 12" for quite a bit longer I think. This is the first time that the upgrade bug hasn't sunk its dirty little teeth into me. Pretty content with the feature set that I already have, my 60GB HD is not yet full and I think I could hold out til either a new hi-res widescreen is put in the 12" or a G5!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules