Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PM 8600 and Firewire CD-RW?

PM 8600 and Firewire CD-RW?
bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2002, 01:02 PM

Does anyone know if there are any problems in putting a PCI FireWire card into an old PM 8600/300 and then getting like a LaCie CD-RW?

We are running OS 8.6.

Thanks,

Brad
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2002, 05:43 PM

I have the same machine running the same OS, which I'm using right now. I haven't installed a firewire card yet but I would like to do so soon. As long as you stay with a Mac compatible brand, the card should be fine. Concerning the CD-RW, you may want to consider upgrading to OS 9 because it has superior Firewire drivers. You may also want to check with LaCie's support pages to see if there's any relevant compatibility information. Chances are still pretty good things should work out of the box, but then again that may not happen. Sorry I can't offer more specific information...

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2002, 08:49 PM

MacOS supports all USB and Firewire cards that follow the OHCI standard, so you should keep an eye on this when you select a card.

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2002, 12:05 AM

I have an 8500 running 9.1 (and 10.1.5) with a macally USB/Firewire combo card... haven't a single problem with it yet. Works with every device I plug into it. While this particular card did come with drivers that work in OS8 (and most fw cards should), I agree with the previous suggestion that you upgrade to 9.1, as the card will work out of the box without any software installation, and performance will be much better under 9.1 anyway. You can download that particular upgrade from apple for free...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Jodar
Aug 14, 2002, 12:58 PM

I have a PowerLogix 450mhz G4 upgraded PowerMac 7500, with an Orange PCI USB 2.0/Firewire Combo card, which works well with my Lacie Pocket Firewire/USB burner. I bought it at Macworld NY for only $129! My friend bought it six months earlier for $300 . The burner works fine with Toast 5 Titanium.

Forum Links
Forum Rules