Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Using Disk Copy for backup

Using Disk Copy for backup
brisk98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2002, 08:28 PM

I have a iMac G3 slot-loading with OS 9.2.2 and I want to upgrade my HD. Can i use Disk Copy 6.33 to transfer the contents of my hard drive to the new HD? Will it be bootable and will all my apps still work?

raskol
Banned
Oct 19, 2002, 06:02 PM

The best thing is to try it and see. Always double-check what you have done. Don't burn any bridges until you have tested the new ones!

In general yes that is what Disk Copy is for. It will make exact images of any disk bootable or not. The problem is with Disk Copy you need to be able to boot from another drive like a CD and run Disk Copy from your current boot drive and write the image to another drive. i.e. you cannot be imaging a drive and modifying it at the same time. This can be difficult on an iMac unless you have an external hard drive or network. Disk Copy is not really a backup program it is more for making copies of CDs and Floppies. But it can work for this purpose.

brisk98  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2002, 11:21 PM

Raskol- Your tips are very helpful. Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by raskol:
The best thing is to try it and see. Always double-check what you have done. Don't burn any bridges until you have tested the new ones!

In general yes that is what Disk Copy is for. It will make exact images of any disk bootable or not. The problem is with Disk Copy you need to be able to boot from another drive like a CD and run Disk Copy from your current boot drive and write the image to another drive. i.e. you cannot be imaging a drive and modifying it at the same time. This can be difficult on an iMac unless you have an external hard drive or network. Disk Copy is not really a backup program it is more for making copies of CDs and Floppies. But it can work for this purpose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules