Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > External Modem Question

External Modem Question
Buck_W
Senior User
Jul 6, 2002, 11:15 PM

I have a Performa 6360 with an internal modem that I have not been able to get to work. Can I hook up an external modem without disabling the internal? If I need to first disable the internal modem, what do I need to do? Thanks for the input!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2002, 09:22 AM

You can hook up an external serial modem to either the modem or printer port. If you want to use the modem port then you will have to remove the internal modem because having a device in the comm slot disables the modem port. (You may also have a cap on the modem port, you can remove this)

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2002, 02:57 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by firefly:
<strong>You can hook up an external serial modem to either the modem or printer port. If you want to use the modem port then you will have to remove the internal modem because having a device in the comm slot disables the modem port. (You may also have a cap on the modem port, you can remove this)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks firefly. Do you know if there are any sites on the web detailing how to remove the internal modem?

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2002, 10:59 PM

6360's are not that hard to take apart, you should be able to rip out the modem without much of a problem.
-Kevin
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 10:58 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CIA:
<strong>6360's are not that hard to take apart, you should be able to rip out the modem without much of a problem.
-Kevin</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Ripping it out is the term most people refer to when 'carefully' removing stuff from there computer. You can 'rip it out' by opening the case from the back. I believe the 6360 motherboard slid out the back and the modem should be secured by a single screw and then remove it by pulling it up out of its slot.

<a href="http://www.MacFixit.com" target="_blank">www.MacFixit.com</a> has a lot of good information pertaining to hardware upgrades and such. Their forums are a great place to look for help. Search in the past forums for Desktop macs with the term 6360 and you may find what you need. Other parts of their site require a subscription and registration, but the forums are more than helpful.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jul 9, 2002, 01:24 PM

[/QUOTE]Ripping it out is the term most people refer to when 'carefully' removing stuff from there computer. You can 'rip it out' by opening the case from the back. I believe the 6360 motherboard slid out the back and the modem should be secured by a single screw and then remove it by pulling it up out of its slot.

<a href="http://www.MacFixit.com" target="_blank">www.MacFixit.com</a> has a lot of good information pertaining to hardware upgrades and such. Their forums are a great place to look for help. Search in the past forums for Desktop macs with the term 6360 and you may find what you need. Other parts of their site require a subscription and registration, but the forums are more than helpful.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification, *S* I've pulled the motherboard out, but I haven't looked at it closely enough to see how the modem is secured. I'll definitely check out MacFixit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules