Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > well I think thats it.......... imacs dead

well I think thats it.......... imacs dead
stevieleaky
Oct 15, 2002, 09:58 PM

months ago my monitor went... hooked up the orig. imac to a 17 inch monitor...I put all the components in a pc case... today, I tried moving my computer case and heard a loud single snap/pop(loud static)... the imac was on at the time(obviously)... but when the snap occured it shut off... its now completely dead........ I tested the fuse on the powersupply and it was dead so i replaced it... still nothing........Man, I really hope my hard drive is ok... anyone with any sugestions please feel free to help me out of this pain....... is there any way to test the power supply on its own? Thanks
Leaky

stevieleaky  (op)
Oct 15, 2002, 09:59 PM

ohhh, one more thing I checked out every board and every inch of them and found no burned looking parts...
Leaky

UgL_u2o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2002, 01:14 AM

you checked all the wires and **** in there as well.....maybe something in the wiring of the montier and **** broke or something, i dunno let me look into this and i will try to get back with you.
UgL Coming soon to a Mac near you!

"Money does not come from Virtue, but
from Virtue comes money and all other
things good to man"
-Socrates-

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 03:43 PM

You could test the power supply by using an old Hardisk. Ask a PC dealer for an old HD (damaged sectors are not important, if it only spins up when a known good power supply is connected). If the power supply connectors for HD�s/optical drives are hot then normally also the Mainboard plug should work.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

stevieleaky  (op)
Oct 16, 2002, 06:07 PM

well my hard drive is fine, I hooked it up to a pc using macdrive and seen all the files........I see no loose or broken wires and when i push the start or reset button nothing happens no turning disk no lights... anyone in Toronto,ontario have a cheap mac for sale???
Leaky

kingskel
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 06:11 PM

I'm in T.O. w/a G3 500mhz. Let me know if you're interested.

kingskel

stevieleaky  (op)
Oct 16, 2002, 07:32 PM

you have mail...
Leaky

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2002, 12:51 AM

Stevie,

I make an iMac-> ATX adapter- it replaces the Mac power supply with a standard PC ATX power supply, converting the ATX signals to match up to the iMac motherboard. email me if you're at all interested.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

wtfwasibanned68
Banned
Oct 17, 2002, 01:54 PM

I checked my iMac PDF file for you this morning. Turns out there's a fuse in the power supply, and it sounds like you blew it. Still around? I can help you with it.

- Ca$h

stevieleaky  (op)
Oct 17, 2002, 04:36 PM

yess the fuse... it did blow out..., I did replace it, it was a small ceramic fuse which i replaced with a glass fuse... still does not work........ no lights no hard drive spinning... nothing.. Thanks everyone.... Man i hope i can fix this... I have web sites to update.. ugh/
Leaky

stevieleaky  (op)
Oct 17, 2002, 04:41 PM

vmarks---- I am interested in your connector but i live in toronto,ontario, canada.. and I'm not sure that its only the power supply that is toast... how much is your connector thing anyways??
Leaky

quitopressingme
Banned
Oct 18, 2002, 09:53 AM

I don't have it on this computer (thats net accessable) but it shows you how to troubleshoot power situations in the iMac. Its a step by step type deal. Search the net for iMac.pdf

- Ca$h

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2002, 02:11 PM

I have the adapter for 85 USD. it replaces the power supply completely. You're already bypassing the analog video board in the iMac by using your 17 inch monitor, so it's almost definitely the power supply.

By original iMac, I presume you have the cd drive with the tray, yes?

Feel free to contact me by email.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules