Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > vinyl records to mp3/aiff?

vinyl records to mp3/aiff?
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2001, 12:52 PM

anyone know of a site or can just explain how to get mp3's or aiff's off of vinyl records? i have quite a few records that arent available on CD that i would like to have on CD. heres my setup...
ibook 366/192 megs ram.
iomega zip cd 650 USB.

there are some audio jacks on the back of the CD burner, but i dont know if its an ingoing or outgoing thing. i have a record player and a stereo and all that too.

thanks in advance for anyones help.
scott

stevieleaky
Jan 21, 2001, 12:58 PM

use "sound edit 16". great for doing stuff like that.... just take the "rca stereo out to one 1/8plug , plug right into the side of your mac... use soundedit and it will save the file as AIFF. Youcan the go back and edit out the different tracks you want with soundedit also...

Leaky
Leaky

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2001, 01:10 PM

As well, if you upgrade to Toast Deluxe (very much worth the money, I feel), an app called CDSpin Doctor is included, along with the abovementioned 1/8" to RCA jack cord. It also provides some elementary filters to reduce hiss, pop, etc.

Mr. Leaky's solution is also very valid.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2001, 01:25 PM

so do i go straight from the record player into the mac with the RCA to 1/8" plug or use an out from my stereo to RCA to 1/8" plug to mac ?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jan 21, 2001, 04:34 PM

1, Sound Edit 16 doesnt work with later Mac operating systems. Including OS 9 plus. Don't think it worked with 8.6 either. Bias Peak or Peak LE are modern, better equiped equivilants.

2, iBooks don't have an audio input. So you have nothing to record into. Meaning you will need a USB audio interface. And those are somewhat troublesome, not to mention costly.

3, Toast Deluxe is good, and well worth having. But CD Spin Doctor is near useless. It can't even normalise a recorded track. Thats a very basic requirement of mastering to a CD! And the noise treatment tools often do more harm than good. As mentioned above, software like Bias Peak is much better.

cabana
Jan 21, 2001, 10:15 PM

Also try Sound Jam. They even supply a cable that will connect your turntable/stereo to your mac. The software is super easy and cool.

stevieleaky
Jan 21, 2001, 11:13 PM

hi, soundedit 16 works great on my mac os 9.04 machine... i made 15 cd's for someone buy recording from cassettes. i found it alot simpler than cd spin doctor.... I use it for all my small progects.

Leaky
Leaky

stevieleaky
Jan 21, 2001, 11:17 PM

hi, soundedit 16 works great on my mac os 9.04 machine... i made 15 cd's for someone buy recording from cassettes. i found it alot simpler than cd spin doctor.... I use it for all my small progects.

Leaky
Leaky

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2001, 02:20 AM

Go to your nearest Borders or Barnes & Noble and pick up MacAddict's Ultimate How-to Mac Guide on the magazine rack (it has a blue cover and is dated Spring 2001). They provide a step-by-step guide to digitizing LP's.

Most turntables do not put out a line-level signal and therefore require a phono pre-amp to record from. Presumably your receiver has a built-in phono pre-amp. Plug the turntable into the receiver in the usual manner, then go from the tape out jacks on the receiver to the Mac microphone input, using a stereo RCA-to-1/8" converter available at CompUSA or Radio Shack.

If your Mac doesn't have a mic or audio input, you'll need a USB audio input device. Roland makes one but it costs over $100 and may be more than you need. Griffin Technology is coming out with a USB audio input device called iMic but I don't know if it's available yet or how well it works. There's a current thread on the PowerMac board about USB audio issues.

As for software, MacAddict recommends Bias Peak LE ($99 at www.bias-inc.com) for recording, but says you can squeak by with Ultra Recorder ($20 shareware at http://members.aol.com/ejc3). They also recommend RayGun ($99 at www.arboretum.com) if you want to clean up the sound.

Another nice thing about the MacAddict publication is that there's a guide to making your own CD covers.

[the above hyperlinks were automatically created by MacNN but for some reason they didn't work when I tried them - sorry]

[This message has been edited by zigzag (edited 01-22-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules