Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Monitor flicks and clicks....

Monitor flicks and clicks....
stevieleaky
Apr 4, 2002, 12:44 AM

my monitor on my bondi blue has been strange lately. every 5-10 minutes the screen flicks and as this happens a faint click noise is heard... basically a fast flicker with a click anyone recognize this????
Leaky

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Apr 4, 2002, 01:54 AM

Yup, known issue. Probibly going to die.

stevieleaky  (op)
Apr 4, 2002, 02:18 AM

can it be saved?
Leaky

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2002, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by stevieleaky:
<STRONG>my monitor on my bondi blue has been strange lately. every 5-10 minutes the screen flicks and as this happens a faint click noise is heard... basically a fast flicker with a click anyone recognize this????</STRONG>
I'd suggest you start saving up for a new one now. My old Bondi iMac (Rev. A 233) had the same problem (after the modem died in a storm). Started off in twenty minute intervales, then got around to every five minutes or so ... then, one day, screen did a weird double click, made a "whoompf" sound and that was it. Took it to Mac Center, and they told me a burnt analog video card�$480 to fix. That's when I went Mac-less for a year ... bad times, man.

Anyway, I wish the best for you, but I'm with Leia�I'd expect it to go soon. Sorry.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2002, 08:46 AM

ways around this problem:

take off the bottom cover of the iMac.
Disconnect the video cable.
connect a MacPnP adapter ($12 macsales.com)
connect an SVGA monitor (17" or 19" works if you want more viewing area and higher resolutions- the iMac can display up to 1600x1200 with a 19" monitor)

and keep working with no troubles.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2002, 11:08 AM

My 17' coloursync has been doing it for a over a year but it is still working....

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

stevieleaky  (op)
Apr 4, 2002, 02:08 PM

Thanks everyone, but one more question. where is the analog video card? if i just hook another monitor with that adapter cable will the analog video card still be used and have the same effect on the new one or is this card disabled when I hook up a new one??? sorry for my lack of knowledge.... Thanks
Leaky

stevieleaky  (op)
Apr 7, 2002, 10:44 PM

anyone?
Leaky

stevieleaky  (op)
Apr 9, 2002, 08:09 AM

well. now its done. woke up this morning and the thing will not start.. hmmm....... what a waste .... 2000 bucks for 2 years.....
Leaky

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by stevieleaky:
<STRONG>well. now its done. woke up this morning and the thing will not start.. hmmm....... what a waste .... 2000 bucks for 2 years.....</STRONG>
And if you disconnect the monitor cable on the bottom of the machine and connect an SVGA one as I described above, will it start? It might. If it doesn't, than either the power supply is bad, or it's unable to supply full power to the computer portion because the monitor portion is dragging it down by sucking up too much power.

In any event, I have a method of using an ATX power supply from a standard PC instead of the iMac supply, so you can still save your iMac if you want to.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

stevieleaky  (op)
Apr 9, 2002, 03:54 PM

Ok, i started up with another monitor and it worked. Is this "analog video board" inside the imac monitor, and is it disabled when I connect an external monitor or will the defective analog video board mess up the external monitor also?
Leaky

Forum Links
Forum Rules