Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > please figure this one out....

please figure this one out....
stevieleaky
Jan 9, 2001, 07:43 PM

I had a folder with a bunch of aiff files in it.... each file was about 45mb.... there was 20 files. I am running mac os 9.0. rev a imac, 64 mb ram, 1.5 gigs left on internal 4gb hard disk. Anyways, I tried deleting the folder containing all the files... it froze on me....restarted and tried again, froze again. so i just deleted all the files inside the folder by dragging the files themselves to the trash. it left an empty folder on my desktop. I tried deleting the empty folder.... I get this "could not be delete because it is in use" .....huh. it seemsafter a few times of trying (3 to be exact) it froze again and i restarted.... i try opening the folder from my desktop and it just froze.....i'm very confused. i restart and try trashing other files to see if it is something to do with the trash itself and find out that it works perfect, no crashing, nothing. what do I do about this?????
I rebuilt my desktop, and zapped pram....
thanks
Leaky

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2001, 07:47 PM

Use a utility program to delete the folder, like TechTool Pro or something.
This has been gone over several times, search the fora and you'll find a better answer than what you'll get from me.
Hell take the easy road... boot from CD and delete it, then run Disk First Aid over the drives.

Cipher13

Telusman
Jan 9, 2001, 09:03 PM

Try restarting with extensions off, or booting from A CD, this error is caused by a hidden file that is in use by the operating system, so the best way to stop it is to remove the OS from the equation by starting up with another disk.

Art D
Jan 10, 2001, 02:23 AM

Sounds like you might have a "Folder From Hell", caused by a directory problem. There's a freeware program called "HellFolderFix", by John Jeppson, that might help. If you want to give it a try, you can download it from here.

The read-me file that comes with HellFolderFix explains what can cause a folder to become un-trashable. Jeppson says "Folders, like files, are organized on the disk in a catalog file. Each folder has a record in the catalog, and that record contains a field called the "valence". The valence normally reflects the number of files and sub-folders contained in the folder, but occasionally gets out of sync. This could happen, for example, when an application has thrown away a file (perhaps an internally generated temporary file) and then the Macintosh crashes or has a power failure before the catalog file can be fully updated. A mismatch between the "valence" and the actual number of files results in a "Folder From Hell" which cannot be trashed."

HellFolderFix is an older program that was written in the days when disk repair utilities were not as powerful as they are these days. Actually, if you have something like Norton Disk Doctor, Techtool Pro, or certainly Disk Warrior, any of these programs should be able to fix the problem you describe.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Art D (edited 01-10-2001).]

stevieleaky  (op)
Jan 13, 2001, 03:53 PM

O.K. its deleted... this is what I did...

start up with no extensions and i got the message that it could not be deleted because it was in use....

started up from mac os9 cd and got the same message....

Ran disk warrior, rebuilt lacie external drive(where the folder existed) and it rebuilt and fixed alot of errors and i succesfully deleted the folder that could not be deleted before....

Thanks all....
Leaky

Forum Links
Forum Rules