Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If you could only get 1, MBP or iPad?

If you could only get 1, MBP or iPad?
NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2010, 11:08 PM

Hi,
I still have a 15" 2.33 C2D MBP, before the unibody design (ATI X1600). I have skipped the last few upgrades and this most recent update has tempted me. I do like online gaming, so the better video cards and processors would greatly help. I would love to be able to use BootCamp to play graphics intensive games. Currently, I use a PC to play, so it's more of a convenience to want to be able to play on a Mac.

My problem is I also really like the new iPad. I want a small form factor, so it's either a 13 or 15" MBP or iPad. I, like many, see the iPad as a way to get some work done while on the run and away from my laptop.

If you could only get 1, what would it be?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

shiff
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2010, 11:11 PM

Get the MBP. The new 15 with the option for the higher resolution screen is an amazing laptop. The iPad is nice but it is not a substitute for a laptop. If you were going to keep and use your current laptop and wanted something to supplement it, then the iPad is a decent choice.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by shiff View Post
Get the MBP. The new 15 with the option for the higher resolution screen is an amazing laptop. The iPad is nice but it is not a substitute for a laptop. If you were going to keep and use your current laptop and wanted something to supplement it, then the iPad is a decent choice.
What shiff said.

The 15" and 17" MBPs allow high-rez matte displays, a huge improvement over the glossy displays that are the only choice for iPads and 13" MBPs (yes I am aware that many non-graphics-pros find no problem with the arbitrarily added contrast and saturation of glossy displays).
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Apr 17, 2010 at 11:28 PM. )

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 11:33 PM

I agree, if you are going to keep your laptop and buy 1 new item, then go iPad. It's really useful. If you are going to only get one and sell your current laptop, I would say to get a new MacBook pro. I think the upgrades for online gaming or gaming in general would be good for you. Before you do anything though, I would suggest you go to a store and try out the iPad. It truly is a new great device that fills a need that you may not think exists. I am typing my response on it
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 03:27 AM

15" MBP

If you want to play around with an iPad you can always get one later for less (refurb, used, etc.)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 03:35 AM

Good suggestions. I'd say though that if you're satisfied with your current MBP and really want an iPad, why not do that? If, on the other hand, your current MBP isn't serving your needs, then downgrading to an iPad is the wrong direction to go in.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2010, 08:30 AM

Is the 13" able to play the newer games, or will the 15" be necessary? It would be nice to have more portability.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 08:42 AM

The 13" MBPs have an advanced form of integrated graphics with its Geforce GT 320M, an advancement of the previous best in integrated graphics offered by the 9400M, but it's still integrated graphics. See this article:

AppleInsider | Nvidia 320M GPU made especially for Apple's new 13-inch MacBook Pro

If you want to play older games then they're capable, but if you're talking about the latest 3D games, you need discrete graphics offered by the 15 or 17" models.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 09:17 AM

MPB. Don't think of the iPad as something to get work done with. It's a nice cool toy for internet consumption, not productivity IMO.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 10:04 AM

If you can afford a 15" MBP and need a powerful computer, get a 15" MBP. If you just need portable content consumption, get an iPad. If you want both and can afford a 15" MBP, ask yourself if you really need all the power of an MBP then consider getting a MB or 13" MBP *and* an iPad.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
MPB. Don't think of the iPad as something to get work done with. It's a nice cool toy for internet consumption, not productivity IMO.
For my part, I'm considering an iPad as a replacement for my notebook/sketchbook at work. I'm also really interested in the OmniGraffle app for the iPad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
Hi,
I still have a 15" 2.33 C2D MBP, before the unibody design (ATI X1600). I have skipped the last few upgrades and this most recent update has tempted me. I do like online gaming, so the better video cards and processors would greatly help. I would love to be able to use BootCamp to play graphics intensive games. Currently, I use a PC to play, so it's more of a convenience to want to be able to play on a Mac.
Compulsary car anlogy:

Hi,

My car is getting old, and time to be replaced.
I'm commuting every day 50 miles, and love to go on long road trips.
I also enjoy working on my car, doing repairs and maintenance myself.

My question: Should I get a car or a bike ?
Well, not much of a question, is it ?

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
^^^ this

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2010, 03:27 PM

MBP, definitely.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
For my part, I'm considering an iPad as a replacement for my notebook/sketchbook at work. I'm also really interested in the OmniGraffle app for the iPad.
i think that the iPad may suit those needs. I cannot really say it is a replacement at all for a full machine depending on what you do. I am looking to try a couple of weeks of using my iPad as a replacement for my MBP at school. I only use it for mild surfing, document creation and note taking during school hours. Since the maximum time I am at school is 4-5 hours, the time will not be an issue. I do not do massive doc creation at school either. The only big issue which was a problem with the MBP too is printing. There are a couple networked printers, but they are only linked to the school computers.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
i think that the iPad may suit those needs. I cannot really say it is a replacement at all for a full machine depending on what you do. I am looking to try a couple of weeks of using my iPad as a replacement for my MBP at school. I only use it for mild surfing, document creation and note taking during school hours. Since the maximum time I am at school is 4-5 hours, the time will not be an issue. I do not do massive doc creation at school either. The only big issue which was a problem with the MBP too is printing. There are a couple networked printers, but they are only linked to the school computers.
Tell me more about document creation and editing. I have heard that once you send an ipad doc, it doesn't allow you to get it back to Word. Can you access online/local Word Docs? Excel docs?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 09:18 AM

Tell me more about document creation and editing. I have heard that once you send an ipad doc, it doesn't allow you to get it back to Word. Can you access online/local Word Docs? Excel docs?
Interesting questions. I have not done a full look at what is possible, but it is not a lot as far as a file system. I can check specific scenarios if you would like.
Document creation and saving is probably as you have heard. You create a document in the iPad and sync it with your computer with iTunes.
You can export, email, and send to iWork. I just saved a doc from iPad in Pages and synced it to my desktop with iTunes. I then opened the Pages file with Pages, exported to Word/doc format and it opened fine.
Now, that online thing is a different bag. I do not think that you can access/download the google docs files. PDF's are weird also. Large PDF's that open with whatever iPad/iPhone use natively crashes or does not work correctly with big files. I use this app called goodreader. It is near the top of the charts and got good reviews. It does a ton of things, but it allows me to access/download to its local program files from different location like dropbox. Yes this is a convoluted method of dealing with files that I think apple will address. For now it works. Please let me know if you would like me to try something specific.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 09:20 AM

Hi,

My problem is I also really like the new iPad. I want a small form factor, so it's either a 13 or 15" MBP or iPad. I, like many, see the iPad as a way to get some work done while on the run and away from my laptop.

My question is...why do you use a PC. Dual boot on your existing or new MBP and have the best of both worlds (what little good there is on the PC side). I work in a room full of PC's but I drag my MB to work everyday just so I don't have to use any of them more than is absolutely necessary.

; )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 10:03 AM

It sounds like he currently uses a PC for gaming because he gaming hardware requirements are relatively high. That's why it doesn't sound like a 13" MBP would be a good choice.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It sounds like he currently uses a PC for gaming because he gaming hardware requirements are relatively high. That's why it doesn't sound like a 13" MBP would be a good choice.
Well, my response was tongue-in-cheek, obviously. I guess I was thrown off by him saying he liked to "play" with the Macs. Maybe all he does is play with computers...

Video game system requirements are a problem. I'll admit that one of the reasons I'm hoping there will be an updated Air is that I seriously doubt the current version would run Civ 5 when it comes out in the fall.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2010, 01:17 PM

You'll regret replacing your MBP with an iPad. My iPad compliments my MBP, but could never replace it. If I had to choose between the two, it would be the MBP.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2010, 06:22 PM

^^^ What they said. MBP will be more productive than an iPad as an only computer. But if you're going to keep hold of your MBP, then try an iPad out if you want it.

Personal opinion - if you want to play games, get an Xbox, PS3 or Wii.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
^^^ What they said. MBP will be more productive than an iPad as an only computer. But if you're going to keep hold of your MBP, then try an iPad out if you want it.

I really agree with this. Though certain games are only good on the pc, like the civ series and such, I agree that console is really the way to go 95% of the time for gaming. I don't want to bash, but windows configing with hardware and games becomes way too much of a hassle.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2010, 08:21 PM

Now the new iPhone HD 4G, or whatever it will be called, get's outed and look pretty nice...

I did get my Apple iPad case and iPad dock/keyboard(which I think I'm going to exchange for the BT one if I get an iPad).

Is anyone thinking of waiting until June to see if the iPhone does have video iChat?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 08:48 PM

Now the new iPhone HD 4G, or whatever it will be called, get's outed and look pretty nice...

I did get my Apple iPad case and iPad dock/keyboard(which I think I'm going to exchange for the BT one if I get an iPad).

Is anyone thinking of waiting until June to see if the iPhone does have video iChat?
I am not so enamored with the possibility of video chat on a mobile device. I have my main computer for that. Maybe for an occasional quick video chat, but it's not a big feature for me personally. I felt the same way about a camera on the iPad. I could not understand the reason behind a camera on the iPad, meaning a digital still camera. I could just be short sighted in this matter.

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

I have a PS3, but I need a PC or just Windows to play the MMORPGs, which you can't play on those gaming systems.

I would not get an iPad and give up my old MBP. I use it for iPhoto, iMovie, IDVD, etc, which an iPad could never replace. I was just thinking maybe the smaller 13" MBP would be able to play MMORPGs and have a smaller form factor to be more portable. I just know if I get a 15" MBP, it would be $2k and blow my budget... I would hate to do that and not be able to get the new iPhone, if it were truly that "kick ass".

...it just sucks that 3 new/revised products are all getting released in the same small time window.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 09:45 PM

...it just sucks that 3 new/revised products are all getting released in the same small time window.
Why ?

Is it a matter of money, or that you can't make up your mind ?

-t

NateEssex  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why ?

Is it a matter of money, or that you can't make up your mind ?

-t
Well, if money was no issue, I would buy them all and be out about $2800 + $829 + $300. So, I guess it's the money. Now that I think it out, I may just wait till Christmas for the MBP and consider the iPad and iPhone for the here-and-now. If the iPad doesn't work out, I could return it minus restocking fee and see how tempting the iPhone is... If not tempting at all, then a loaded 15" MBP.

jackwill
Baninated
Apr 22, 2010, 01:39 AM

Hi,

I suggest you choose 15" MBP
you said you also like new IPad, For your current situation, you can buy one later If you want to play with an iPad !

Forum Links
Forum Rules