Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > the most awkward four minutes of CNN ever taped.

the most awkward four minutes of CNN ever taped. (Page 2)
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Apergers disorder doesn't exist. Do ANY of you people EVER do any research on your own? Or do you just believe what everyone tells you?
I hope you’re not expecting to build a career for yourself within academia. Rule number one: sweeping statements like that don’t work.

Better version: There’s no consensus as to whether Asperger’s should be considered a disorder of its own, or whether it’s simply to be seen as part of a larger, overall spectre of autism. The fact that there are people who have a disorder, often identified as Asperger’s, is not in dispute.

Edit: Yeah, like you most likely, I didn’t know that either, I just rephrased the introduction from the Wikipedia page. Actually, I did know it, but only because of BigMac’s (?) thread yesterday where he said he had Asperger’s, which led me off to Wikipedia.
( Last edited by Oisín; Jun 7, 2007 at 01:36 PM. )

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 01:31 PM

I'll say it exists for my friend's son, but if you care to put a different label on it, I don't think she'd care.

Ya wanna help her take care of him in the meantime? (He's 4)

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Oh, and if it doesn't exist, explain that to the doctor it's named after. Unless of course he didn't exist either.

Asperger syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aspergers Disorder | American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

etc. etc.
Hahahaha. Are you assuming that I WASN'T aware that most people THINK it exists, and that there is a Wikipedia page for it and all of that? Doctors just make up new disorders for any kids that don't behave the way THEY THINK they should behave.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 01:38 PM

Hahahaha. Are you assuming that I WASN'T aware that most people THINK it exists, and that there is a Wikipedia page for it and all of that? Doctors just make up new disorders for any kids that don't behave the way THEY THINK they should behave.
You have such a disorder don't you? Otherwise you wouldn't be getting so worked up over a medical classification.

There are over a million hits on google for asperger, it's been noted in many medical journals, doctors still use the term. Therefore it exists. I'm quite aware it falls under autism as a milder form, but it still has it's own classification as of this minute in time.....

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2007, 01:39 PM

Kids don’t exist. Do you ever do ANY research on your own? Yes, I know everyone THINKS they exist, but only I really know better, so all the proof in the world you can throw at me will be useless.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 02:02 PM

Oh, jeez. The whole "which mental disorders are real" debate rears its ugly head.

Here's the thing: autism, in any form, tends to manifest itself more or less all the time. People with Aspergers could be defined as those who are aware of their autism and are capable of dealing with it.

A "disorder" like ADHD, however I have my doubts about. I've actually done research on it, and it tends to be selective - a little boy diagnosed with ADHD may be incapable of paying attention in class (quite possibly because omg he's a six-year-old boy), but can spend hours playing with Legos, playing pirates and ninjas with his friends, or getting really really good at a video game. When a so-called disorder shows itself to be extremely conditional and subjective, I have my doubts about it.

Regardless: what some snotty kid says on an intarnet forum about a mental disorder carries absolutely no weight with the rest of the world. Plz remember that.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

andi*pandi
Jun 7, 2007, 02:26 PM

macgeek doth protest too much. Now we know why he's homeschooled.

(said as someone whose child is not perfect by any means)

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 02:41 PM

I wonder if he's completely oblivious or just after attention. Certainly is growing more trollish over time.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
I wonder if he's completely oblivious or just after attention. Certainly is growing more trollish over time.
It's much less of the entertaining posts where he's trying to be taken seriously, and much more of the reactionary, one-line, "you suck more" type posts.

Tiresias
Jun 7, 2007, 05:27 PM

What product placement? I didn't catch that.

Edit: Of course. The Sub.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 05:36 PM

While I believe that this boy does not have Asberger's, I do believe it exists or something like it.

I also believe labels on child are frequently used too lightly.

However, my friend's son is 4. He is physically (body) healthy. Howver, he is also...In Diapers. Violent toward his brother and sisters. Unable (or unwilling) to speak. He hits the dog, cries constantly and will only go to his mother or grandmother (when he feels like it).

Now as you can see SOMETHING is wrong with this child. The problem exists when people take one trait and apply the entire syndrome. THEN, the meaning- thus exitence of the disorder becomes diluted and less credible.

Tiresias
Jun 7, 2007, 05:59 PM

Public school gives you street smarts. You come to realise the falseness of society and know you must play ball to get along—something that kid has yet to learn.

He didn't embarrass the anchor on purpose, but just because it did not occur to him to gloss over her mispronunciation in order to "save face."

We don't flatter each other to be nice. We do it to protect ourselves: You don't want to be totally honest with others because you don't want them to be totally honest with you. Polite lying is a ego-cushion. That boy is in for a hard time.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 06:07 PM

Apergers disorder doesn't exist. Do ANY of you people EVER do any research on your own? Or do you just believe what everyone tells you?
No we forget that the internet is all wrong and not representative of information that could be found in real life.* And how dare we forget that macgeek is the authority of matters such as these.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Oh yes she does.
Oh man. Haha.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 07:03 PM

The syndrome is dork, and boy does the kid have it.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
While I believe that this boy does not have Asberger's, I do believe it exists or something like it.

I also believe labels on child are frequently used too lightly.

However, my friend's son is 4. He is physically (body) healthy. Howver, he is also...In Diapers. Violent toward his brother and sisters. Unable (or unwilling) to speak. He hits the dog, cries constantly and will only go to his mother or grandmother (when he feels like it).

Now as you can see SOMETHING is wrong with this child. The problem exists when people take one trait and apply the entire syndrome. THEN, the meaning- thus exitence of the disorder becomes diluted and less credible.
Well, most people don't know how to take care of kids, or raise them properly. If the parents knew how to raise kids, they'd be dealing with the kid in a way that would cause every problem of his to cease within a couple months.

I know it sounds like fairy tale talk, and like some unrealistic "magic" that could never really be true, but it is. All you have to do is find what the kid needs, and give it to him.

Amazon.com: Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves: Transforming Parent-child Relationships from Reaction And Struggle to Freedom, Power And Joy: Books: Naomi Aldort

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2007, 08:33 PM

My philosophy: When it's some 15-year-old on a message board against the entire spectrum of medical professions, always side with the teenager. Those stupid experts, acting like they know more.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Visnaut
Senior User
Jun 7, 2007, 08:42 PM

I attended an elementary school reunion the other day, and this is what I observed:

The kids that were picked on back then were probably the most well adjusted and easy going people there.

My point is this: public school does suck if you're a mal-adjusted kid with no social skills. I know this, I too was a wierd little immigrant kid once, and was picked on for a variety of reasons. But you come out of it years wiser than your peers about how to deal with your differences and how to make friends.

So yeah, while I was in school, I guess you could say I hated the way I was picked on or bullied, but now as an adult, I can totally appreciate it as a normalizing social mechanism. I became much more well prepared to deal with the **** that happens in life and laugh about it too. And not to be sensitive about every little confrontation people inevitably have throughout the course of life.

In short: you NEED to be kicked around a bit as a kid for you to see the world as it is, and how to deal with it without turning into some emo kid.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I attended an elementary school reunion the other day, and this is what I observed:

The kids that were picked on back then were probably the most well adjusted and easy going people there.

My point is this: public school does suck if you're a mal-adjusted kid with no social skills. I know this, I too was a wierd little immigrant kid once, and was picked on for a variety of reasons. But you come out of it years wiser than your peers about how to deal with your differences and how to make friends.

So yeah, while I was in school, I guess you could say I hated the way I was picked on or bullied, but now as an adult, I can totally appreciate it as a normalizing social mechanism. I became much more well prepared to deal with the **** that happens in life and laugh about it too. And not to be sensitive about every little confrontation people inevitably have throughout the course of life.

In short: you NEED to be kicked around a bit as a kid for you to see the world as it is, and how to deal with it without turning into some emo kid.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Why not just be treated well, and taught that not everyone in the world is nice, but also be taught how to run your life in such a way that you'll never need to be "kicked around" and be okay with it. Just live a good life. Why train people to expect bad stuff?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 09:30 PM

Methinks the macgeek doth protest too much.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2007, 09:53 PM

I couldn't disagree with you more. Why not just be treated well, and taught that not everyone in the world is nice, but also be taught how to run your life in such a way that you'll never need to be "kicked around" and be okay with it. Just live a good life. Why train people to expect bad stuff?
In theory, everything works in practice. In practice, it usually doesn't.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2007, 10:15 PM

Right. That kid doesn't have Asperger's. Neither does he particularly lack social skills (for a dweeb of his age).

He's probably gay. If he wasn't he'd have hit on that presenter. Doof would. It'd be all like "how you doin'?" and stuff. And she'd have been all like "hey baby you can come spill spell over me any time. Big boy". And then he'd have laughed. Wildly. Like a man with three penises and the Dahm Triplets. Or probably those Brazilian triplets I can never remember the name of 'coz the Dahms are a bit ropey.

He's also lacking in self-confidence. If he wasn't he have gone "shut up and pay me respect, girl". And she'd be all like "you rock. Not as much as Doofy, obviously, but you rock". And he'd have run around the studio moshing whilst loudly humming Just Blew In From The Windy City from Calamity Jane.

What a dweeb.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Edit: Yeah, like you most likely, I didn’t know that either, I just rephrased the introduction from the Wikipedia page. Actually, I did know it, but only because of BigMac’s (?) thread yesterday where he said he had Asperger’s, which led me off to Wikipedia.
Mac Write. I don't know what Big Mac have.
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jun 8, 2007 at 02:54 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 10:31 PM

Well, most people don't know how to take care of kids, or raise them properly. If the parents knew how to raise kids, they'd be dealing with the kid in a way that would cause every problem of his to cease within a couple months.

I know it sounds like fairy tale talk, and like some unrealistic "magic" that could never really be true, but it is. All you have to do is find what the kid needs, and give it to him.

Amazon.com: Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves: Transforming Parent-child Relationships from Reaction And Struggle to Freedom, Power And Joy: Books: Naomi Aldort
MacGeek on parenting. Excellent.

Next thread: MacGeek explains your sex life to you.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2007, 11:06 PM

Classic.

How many kids do you have?

...exactly.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Next thread: MacGeek explains your sex life to you.
Please don't tempt him!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 12:14 AM

Doctors just make up new disorders for any kids that don't behave the way THEY THINK they should behave.
Well, I don't know much about Asperger's, but in general I agree with this sentiment.

"Diagnosing" personality as a disorder seems to be all the rage these days.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 01:04 AM

Wow I've never wanted to stuff someone in a locker before. I do now.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2007, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by brapper View Post
Wow I've never wanted to stuff someone in a locker before. I do now.
Macgeek or the kid in the video?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Macgeek or the kid in the video?
Why must it be either/or?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2007, 05:32 AM

Good point.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 09:46 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're promoting a book written by your own mother!

Couldn't this be classified as spam...?

Also : just because you were fruity enough that "alternative parenting" methods worked for you does not mean that such a thing will work for everyone. There are kids who would be in the streets or dead if they didn't have structure in their lives. I have two cousins exactly like that. One of them is mildly mentally deranged. Having more freedom would only exacerbate his problems.

I love it when someone tries to force their own parenting philosophy on everyone. You do realize it's okay to have a mix of ideas, don't you?

Then again, you've never had kids, so how the hell would you know?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're promoting a book written by your own mother!

Well, looking at his threads on here, it's obvious she knows a thing or two about parenting. </cheap shot>

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

Couldn't this be classified as spam...?

Also : just because you were fruity enough that "alternative parenting" methods worked for you does not mean that such a thing will work for everyone.
Obviously it didn't work for him, just look at the crap he posts on this forum, he ain't normal yet!....

The book must be a sham!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 10:13 AM

I obviously haven't been keeping a close enough eye on the drama, I had no idea his mother had been identified as a published author.

Edit: Perhaps he needs a wiki entry so I can keep myself apprised of all new developments?

Actually, a MacNN wiki would be funny.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 10:14 AM

Well, nobody noticed until half an hour ago.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 10:17 AM

Ah, okay.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2007, 11:19 AM

I was homeschooled as a child, never had an issue with it. My parents never thought public or private schools were evil, they just prefered homeschooling. I had tons of friends (homeschooled and not), had a great social life, did well in my studies and had more free time than most people and was able to work a lot more becuase of this. I was able to save up quite a bit of money for my masters that I plan on doing after college.

Now, I'm 7 classes away from my Marketing degree. I'm 21 and will graduate before I'm 22 with about a 3.8 GPA. I'm engaged to a beautiful woman and I couldn't be happier.

Homeschooling is NOT for everyone, that's fine. However, I find some of the comments here humorous and some slightly ignorant. Are there stereotypical homeschoolers? OH YES. Yet, there are plenty of normal ones too, those just aren't the ones that people notice.
( Last edited by Uriel; Jun 8, 2007 at 11:35 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
I was homeschooled as a child, never had an issue with it. My parents never thought public or private schools were evil, they just prefered homeschooling. I had tons of friends (homeschooled and not), had a great social life, did well in my studies and had more free time than most peopleand was able to work a lot more becuase of this. I was able to save up quite a bit of money for my masters that I plan on doing after college.

Now, I'm 7 classes away from my Marketing degree. I'm 21 and will graduate before I'm 22 with about a 3.8 GPA. I'm engaged to a beautiful woman and I couldn't be happier.

Homeschooling is NOT for everyone, that's fine. However, I find some of the comments here humorous and some slightly ignorant. Are there stereotypical homeschoolers? OH YES. Yet, there are plenty of normal ones too, those just aren't the ones that people notice.
Heyyyy, that can't be right! But...aren't you supposed to be socially awkward? And completely unable to function in society?

I think the people in power that rip on homeschooling are the same types that despise private schools and vouchers. They'd love for the government to have complete control over education. They'll bring up anything to push their agenda, including telling everyone that homeschoolers are basically retards.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2007, 11:45 AM

They'll bring up anything to push their agenda, including telling everyone that homeschoolers are basically retards.
And trust me, there are those.

My parents are very involved in a lot of the homeschooling that goes on in our state. They help a lot of parents create a good foundation to teach their kids at home. They do this all for free and stay in touch with (I kid you not) over 350 families. They have a database and provide a monthly newsletter for the familes, help facilitiate social events, etc. I have a ton of respect for the effort my parents pour into something that they see as important.

From my years of observation there are two types of "homeschooled" kids. First, there's the families that just want to provide their kids with the best education. Sometimes this is because the public school system in their area is terrible, sometimes it's because the kids has a disability, whatever. These parents sincerely put the effort in to educate their child in a way that they feel is best for them.

Then there is the second. This is the type that the stereotype stems from. These are the ones that "homeschool" their child, but in reality just use that as an excuse to let their kids do whatever they want. That, or they are hyper-religious and think that the school system is so corrupted that their kids will get the mark of the anti-christ if they go to public school.

So please, make fun of the second category (becuase it really is funny, I have great stories). Yet, keep in mind that somtimes the loudest group is the minority. The ones that are doing great typically just go through life like the rest of us.

finboy
Jun 8, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
That kid looks vaguely autistic.
I'm not sure what "looks...autistic" means, other than the oscillations back and forth. Low boundaries, maybe. But I'll see if I can find "looks...autistic" in the DSM. Things would be so much easier that way!

Believe me, being socially awkward stinks. His parents should bear responsibility for that -- teaching him how to behave and respond to questions is an important part of the learning process. IF he behaves this way most of the time, then it shows one of the POTENTIAL downsides of home schooling -- low socialization. My heart goes out to him, he'll have a rough life. His parents are really letting him down.

For one thing, he'll have Einstein's curse: "I'm surrounded by idiots." Poor kid.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 09:58 PM

OK, I'll be sure to tell the parents they aren't doing it right. I won't forget to mention that they don't know his needs because they don't spend enough time with him.

Oh, and I'll make sure to mention that this is based on internet advice from a teenager and his mommy.

I'm sure they'll be forever grateful to realize they have been doing it wrong for 4 years.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 9, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
To be honest that was less painful to watch than any interview or speech with Bush.
anti-Bush zealots are also bores.

I would have said political zealot, but you have to know and understand politics to be one of those.

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 09:28 PM

Home schooling isn't always that bad. I volunteer for a non-profit organization that provides free art classes to high school-aged students, and a good number of them (but definitely not a majority) are home schooled... and all of those kids I've known are pretty well adjusted, probably because the parents let the kids get out and socialize.

The problem with kids like the spelling bee champ is that his parents may be too restrictive and repressive -- the type of parent that is paranoid of every potential threat to their kids so they control and engineer every aspect of their lives. That kind of dedication would be admired if it weren't so short sighted and dangerous. It's just like the parents who are so afraid of their newborns catching a germ and getting sick that they do their best to keep them practically sterile at all times. Only they don't understand that kids need that exposure to germs and bacteria to develop their immune system, so they'll be able to deal with those threats later on. These parents put their kids at greater potential risk.

The same applies to home schooled kids (or any kid, for that matter)... over-protection won't do them any good. We all have to deal with hurt feelings and a broken ego at some point during our lifetimes. A good parent will let their kid learn that lesson and then help their kid to properly deal with it when it happens.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 01:15 AM

So how do you know about the way that "most" people raise their kids? Considering that you ar 16 years old, have been homeschooled your whole life, and have never had a steady girlfriend (no your weekends only love afair a months back doesn't count as "steady") I am pretty sure you don't have any clue as to how "most" people raise their children.

Are you a child psychologist? Have you dedicated your life to helping children adjust and develop? Have you even lived with another child as he/she was growing up? Maybe you should leave the child psychology up to people that actually know what they're talking about. After another 15 years maybe you can come back and talk about your children and how you were able to raise perfectly adjusted children that never had a single problem; until then you should probably leave the subject alone.

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2007, 02:34 AM

Kid must be a mac user.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Are you a child psychologist?
No, but he sees one every wednesday at 4:30pm.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2007, 03:00 AM

Spot on.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 11, 2007, 09:16 AM

Doctors just make up new disorders for any kids that don't behave the way THEY THINK they should behave.
Yep, that's exactly right. I'm a physician, and when a kid doesn't act the way I want, I make up a disorder to make myself feel better.

The insurance companies actually reimburse me at a higher rate for visits where I invent new diseases. Cha-Ching!!!!$$$ So it's a win-win.

In fact, macgeek2005: you're not behaving quite the way I want, so I'm going to create a new disease for you: You have "shitforbrainsencephalitis"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
No, but he sees one every wednesday at 4:30pm.
Well, no wonder he’s all screwed up if he only gets to see his own mother once a week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules