Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 4x ATi 2600XT vs 8800GT

4x ATi 2600XT vs 8800GT
cowwithbeans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2008, 08:55 AM

Could anyone tell me which of the two options is the better for Windows gaming?

I use Final Cut Studio a lot, but I'm using an older iMac right now and it runs fine, so I'm not hugely concerned with that, I guess.

I can't find any information on the 4 ATi cards performance and I'm guessing if I was to run Windows games, only 2 of them would be used, so a single 8800 would probably outperform there.

My only other question is, can two 8800's be put into a single Mac Pro? I'm guessing not, but I can't find anything on that, either :|

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 10:42 AM

The only reason you would get 4 ATI 2600's for a Mac Pro running MacOS X is to run 8 monitors. Ie. you don't get more cards for performance, but to run more monitors. MacOS X doesn't support SLI or Crossfire.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 04:04 PM

For Windows gaming? Clearly the 8800GT.

R2600 X2* are the two 2600 w/ Crossfire.

You can put two 8800s in one MP. You have two 16x 2.0 slots and two 4x 1.0 slots. Make sure to put the cards in the 16x slots for best performance.

OS X does not support SLI/Crossfire. Crossfire has however successfully been demonstrated on a MP with Vista 64.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 4, 2008 at 04:26 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 08:06 PM

To add to Simon's post, the Mac Pro doesn't support SLI (in Windows or OS X or Linux), so installing two 8800s is just for 4 monitors, not improved performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules