Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jeff Sessions, shitstain

Jeff Sessions, shitstain
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2017, 10:20 PM

I have a feeling he'll need a thread in the long run.

Justice Department reverses directive to phase out private prisons - POLITICO
“This will restore BOP's flexibility to manage the federal prison inmate population based on capacity needs,” the spokesman said in a statement.
In an totally unrelated note:
Spicer: Expect to see 'greater enforcement' of federal marijuana law - POLITICO
Spicer suggested that the administration is opposed to encouraging recreational marijuana use and connected it with the crisis with opioid addiction in some areas.

“When you see something like the opioid addiction crisis blossoming in so many states around this country, the last thing we should be doing is encouraging people,” he said.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2017, 10:59 PM

There should never be a profit motive to incarcerate people. Period.

OAW

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2017, 11:35 PM

1% of the population isn't enough I guess.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2017, 11:58 PM

Here's the actual prison memo.

And I thought my signature was ****ed up.

OreoCookie
Feb 24, 2017, 01:42 AM

Wasn't Sessions big on states' rights?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 03:32 AM

I guess it falls to me to devil's advocate for the prison memo.

I have no doubt the Justice Department under Obama will be adjudicated as far less aggressive than what's to come, and to have taken a dimmer attitude on for-profit prisons.

With that said, the Justice Department under Obama was just fine with letting it be up to the Bureau of Prisons until his administration was 95% over. Let's make sure the halo shines upon that which is deserving of it.

If one thinks the proper route to a better society is aggressive enforcement, the current budgetary realities require the continued use of for-profit prisons. Enforcement now costs more, and generates more inmates. More inmates costs more.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 10:43 AM

I forgot to mention a crackdown on legal marijuana will actually hurt the economy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I guess it falls to me to devil's advocate for the prison memo.

I have no doubt the Justice Department under Obama will be adjudicated as far less aggressive than what's to come, and to have taken a dimmer attitude on for-profit prisons.

With that said, the Justice Department under Obama was just fine with letting it be up to the Bureau of Prisons until his administration was 95% over. Let's make sure the halo shines upon that which is deserving of it.

If one thinks the proper route to a better society is aggressive enforcement, the current budgetary realities require the continued use of for-profit prisons. Enforcement now costs more, and generates more inmates. More inmates costs more.
Why does it need a devils advocate?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 11:33 AM

Oh and I'm VERY interested to see the demographics of who is arrested during this crackdown

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Why does it need a devils advocate?
It deserves a fair accounting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 12:36 PM

It deserves a fair accounting.
How about a fair accounting of how you see it? That's more valuable to me.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 12:37 PM

Change federal law, don't expect the law to simply be ignored. It's time for us, as a nation, to finally let go of illegal MJ.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 12:39 PM

I forgot to mention a crackdown on legal marijuana will actually hurt the economy.
It's not legal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 12:44 PM

It's not legal.
Don't play semantics with me

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 12:47 PM

Federally, it's not legal at all. It's time to fix that, instead of ignoring that it isn't.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 12:47 PM

How about a fair accounting of how you see it? That's more valuable to me.
If this is shitstain, then Obama's JD was 95% shitstain.

Sessions is a prosecutor. I'm going to hate him and almost everything he does. What's been mentioned so far included.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 12:48 PM

Don't play semantics with me
See how that argument works on the judge.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 12:49 PM

Shitstain is not on the merits of what has been posted in this thread but his entire existence.

Why are you avoiding giving your opinion on private prisons?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 12:50 PM

See how that argument works on the judge.
Now you're trying to antagonize me. What did my original comment have to do with law?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 12:58 PM

Shitstain is not on the merits of what has been posted in this thread but his entire existence.

Why are you avoiding giving your opinion on private prisons?
It makes sense now, but I wasn't aware this was going to be the megathread. I thought the thread was supposed to be about the OP.

I think prisons are a travesty in general, the private ones even more so.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 01:22 PM

Oh and I'm VERY interested to see the demographics of who is arrested during this crackdown
We already know. This very topic was covered extensively in this documentary available on Netflix. Mass incarceration is not a game. And marijuana prohibition has played a major role in the issue.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 01:32 PM

Now you're trying to antagonize me. What did my original comment have to do with law?
The qualifier the crackdown was on legal weed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
We already know. This very topic was covered extensively in this documentary available on Netflix. Mass incarceration is not a game. And marijuana prohibition has played a major role in the issue.

OAW
I don't necessarily see a crackdown by the Feds on recreational marijuana as a mass incarceration play. The Feds care about trafficking.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 03:21 PM

I don't necessarily see a crackdown by the Feds on recreational marijuana as a mass incarceration play. The Feds care about trafficking.
The problem is that the line between "possession" and "trafficking" is very blurry.

The Drug War Drives Mass Incarceration and Racial Disparities in U.S. Judicial Systems

There were more than 1.5 million drug arrests in the U.S. in 2014. The vast majority – more than 80 percent – were for possession only. At year-end 2013, 16 percent of all people in state prison were incarcerated for a drug law violation – of whom nearly 50,000 were incarcerated for possession alone. More than 50 percent of people in federal prisons are incarcerated for drug law violations. Almost 500,000 people are behind bars for a drug law violation on any given night in the United States – ten times the total in 1980.

Drug law violations have been the main driver of new admissions to prison for decades. An analysis by Brookings Institution found that there were more than 3 million admissions to prison for drug offenses between 1993 and 2009 in the United States. In each year during that period, more people were admitted to prisons for drug law violations than violent crimes. During that same timeframe, there were more than 30 million drug arrests.

People of color experience discrimination at every stage of the judicial system and are more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, convicted, harshly sentenced and saddled with a lifelong criminal record. This is particularly the case for drug law violations.

Black people comprise 13 percent of the U.S. population, and are consistently documented by the U.S. government to use drugs at similar rates to people of other races. But black people comprise 31 percent of those arrested for drug law violations, and nearly 40 percent of those incarcerated in state or federal prison for drug law violations.

Similarly, Latinos make up 17 percent of the U.S. population, but comprise 20 percent of people in state prisons for drug offenses and 37 percent of people incarcerated in federal prisons for drug offenses. In 2013, Latinos comprised almost half (47 percent) of all cases in federal courts for drug offenses.
National-level data on arrests of people of Latino ethnicity are incomplete. Yet among drug arrest incidents in 2014 in which ethnicity was reported, more than 22 percent of those arrested were Latino. State and local level data show that Latinos are disproportionately arrested and incarcerated for drug possession violations.
The Drug War, Mass Incarceration, and Race | Drug Policy Alliance

OAW

PS: That policy paper title sounds like one of my thread titles!

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 03:25 PM

Trafficking for the Feds means across state lines.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 03:31 PM

Trafficking for the Feds means across state lines.
The thing is ... for the vast majority of people to enjoy "recreational use" of marijuana that means somebody is involved in interstate "trafficking" to one degree or another.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 04:17 PM

Yes, but there isn't much of a question anymore of whether it's real trafficking, or just an excuse to throw brown people in prison.

Also, there's some low-hanging fruit here... the states who have told the federal government to go **** itself. Side benefit: these are dealers who won't shoot at you.

I'm assuming Sessions may be vile, but he's not an idiot. He's already got an excuse to throw a metric ****ton of brown people in jail, and is going to get hit with a huge bill for it. Maybe he's dumb enough to use his little remaining resources to rack up the body count over penny-ante shit, but I'm hoping he's not.

That said, I've been surprised before.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 08:16 PM

It makes sense now, but I wasn't aware this was going to be the megathread. I thought the thread was supposed to be about the OP.

I think prisons are a travesty in general, the private ones even more so.
Ah, I tried to communicate that with "I have a feeling he'll need a thread in the long run." but I can see that could be misconstrued as a prediction rather than a proclamation.

The qualifier the crackdown was on legal weed.
Which is focusing on the wrong part. To clarify my point, cracking down will likely affect real jobs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 08:23 PM

Which is focusing on the wrong part. To clarify my point, cracking down will likely affect real jobs.
When phrased this way, I have no objection.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 08:25 PM

Yes, but there isn't much of a question anymore of whether it's real trafficking, or just an excuse to throw brown people in prison.

Also, there's some low-hanging fruit here... the states who have told the federal government to go **** itself. Side benefit: these are dealers who won't shoot at you.

I'm assuming Sessions may be vile, but he's not an idiot. He's already got an excuse to throw a metric ****ton of brown people in jail, and is going to get hit with a huge bill for it. Maybe he's dumb enough to use his little remaining resources to rack up the body count over penny-ante shit, but I'm hoping he's not.

That said, I've been surprised before.
Newsflash: Racists don't always act out of reason (I know you don't accept the conclusion, but his resume begs to differ, IMO). Not to mention that KKK weed quote kind of indicates he may have a thing about weed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 08:27 PM

When phrased this way, I have no objection.
Thanks. To further clarify, if Trump is so focused on jobs, cracking down on one of the more successful, newest industries seem like a bad place to start (Though I acknowledge he's completely entitled to).

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 08:33 PM

Thanks. To further clarify, if Trump is so focused on jobs, cracking down on one of the more successful, newest industries seem like a bad place to start (Though I acknowledge he's completely entitled to).
This is getting sidestepped by the claim it's a public health issue... like spanking it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 08:39 PM

Newsflash: Racists don't always act out of reason (I know you don't accept the conclusion, but his resume begs to differ, IMO). Not to mention that KKK weed quote kind of indicates he may have a thing about weed.
As I said in the quoted post, I'm willing to accept Sessions is vile as a premise.

What I'm saying is he still has jurisdictional boundaries. They are such he can be racist AF to immigrants, but not so much with weed smokers.

If he was a State's Attorney, this gets flipped.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 09:30 PM

This is getting sidestepped by the claim it's a public health issue... like spanking it.
Oh I don't think the direct optics matter. I'm pointing out its self sabotaging for his numbers down the line.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2017, 09:31 PM

All of the pot sold in CO is grown in CO. There would be no jurisdiction for the feds to crack down on trafficking here (except for those who buy in bulk to ship it to other states - they're already running a great risk by doing that anyways).

I know, because I smoke a large portion of the pot grown & sold in CO, and am not (yet) in federal-pound-me-in-the-ass prison. Anyone get the reference?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 09:31 PM

As I said in the quoted post, I'm willing to accept Sessions is vile as a premise.

What I'm saying is he still has jurisdictional boundaries. They are such he can be racist AF to immigrants, but not so much with weed smokers.

If he was a State's Attorney, this gets flipped.
I get what you're saying. I have my doubts too because I don't know what the demographics are for entrepreneurs or recreational users are.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2017, 09:37 PM

I get what you're saying. I have my doubts too because I don't know what the demographics are for entrepreneurs or recreational users are.
At least here, the demographics are those who are alive. Anecdotal as it may be, the culture (read: stigma) of pot has largely dissolved over the last few years. People treat it like drinking now (or at least close enough) from that standpoint.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
All of the pot sold in CO is grown in CO. There would be no jurisdiction for the feds to crack down on trafficking here (except for those who buy in bulk to ship it to other states - they're already running a great risk by doing that anyways).

I know, because I smoke a large portion of the pot grown & sold in CO, and am not (yet) in federal-pound-me-in-the-ass prison. Anyone get the reference?
I don't know how the law applies but I would point out your conclusion is misguided because Obama was not enforcing the law in those states.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 09:51 PM

I'd bet the entrepreneurial demo is pretty white.

Ultimately, Spicey was a bit vague.

The opioid epidemic angle seems batshit on its face.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2017, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DEA
[W]hen it comes to a drug that is currently listed in schedule I, if it is undisputed that such drug has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States and a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and it is further undisputed that the drug has at least some potential for abuse sufficient to warrant control under the CSA, the drug must remain in schedule I. In such circumstances, placement of the drug in schedules II through V would conflict with the CSA since such drug would not meet the criterion of "a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States." 21 USC 812(b). (emphasis added)[32]

— Drug Enforcement Administration, Notice of denial of petition to reschedule marijuana (2001)
Given that medical marijuana is regularly prescribed to cancer patients nowadays, I believe the DEA is on extremely thin legal ground when it comes to the classification of Marijuana as schedule 1, and they know they would lose it were to go through the courts (hence the DADT approach to pot in the states).

I am no lawyer, and I am undoubtedly biased, but that's my take on why we're seeing what we're seeing from both (R) and (D) administrations on state-level legal pot. A single legit study showing the promise of medicinal pot, even if ambiguous, would lead to the premise of the schedule I classification "undisputed that there are no medicinal uses..." to fail not only the three legal requirements for Schedule 1, but also the precedent used to enforce pot regulations. By leaving it as it is, the DEA can still take down the pot coming in across the border without anyone thinking twice about it and slapping schedule 1 charges against the traffickers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...led_substances

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2017, 09:56 PM

Forgive my poorly articulated post above, but I literally just smoked some pot

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 09:58 PM

I'm thinking the schedule 1 problem is why they were very sure to put "recreational" in there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 10:30 PM

I'd bet the entrepreneurial demo is pretty white.

Ultimately, Spicey was a bit vague.

The opioid epidemic angle seems batshit on its face.
That'd be my demographic assumption.

Of course the opioid angle is bullshit. But the administration certainly isn't treading on new ground by pretending pot is as bad as other drugs.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2017, 04:15 AM

I'm thinking the schedule 1 problem is why they were very sure to put "recreational" in there.
Regardless, it can't both be schedule 1 and not at the same time. If medicinal exists, it cannot be schedule 1 "recreationally". I get that it helps them maintain the appearance of enforcement and the status quo, but the enforcement questions naturally comes after the "this cannot both be schedule 1 and used medicinally" reality is adjudicated.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2017, 10:08 AM

I don't know how the law applies but I would point out your conclusion is misguided because Obama was not enforcing the law in those states.
He indeed was having people in California arrested for dispensing (and something mere possession of) state-legal medical MJ. It appears you forgot. Rose-colored glasses?

Obama's War on Pot - Rolling Stone

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Regardless, it can't both be schedule 1 and not at the same time. If medicinal exists, it cannot be schedule 1 "recreationally". I get that it helps them maintain the appearance of enforcement and the status quo, but the enforcement questions naturally comes after the "this cannot both be schedule 1 and used medicinally" reality is adjudicated.
I think there was a petition just last year for it to be reconsidered both in light of its preexisting medicinal use and because recatagorization would allow for better studies. It was denied of course. I don't recall on what grounds but I suspect denying medical science.

I just don't understand the resistance.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2017, 05:04 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2017, 05:49 PM

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2017, 03:42 PM

To many quotes will pull them when I'm on a desktop
http://huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58b4...b060480e0b1ce6

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2017, 07:57 PM

Asked by The Huffington Post whether he had read the Civil Rights Division’s investigative reports on the police departments in Chicago and Ferguson, Missouri, Sessions conceded he had not. But, he said, he didn’t think they were necessarily reliable.

“I have not read those reports, frankly. We’ve had summaries of them, and some of it was pretty anecdotal, and not so scientifically based,” Sessions said.
Funny, how he didn't read it but knows its not scientifically based.

He was also troubled by the drop in the numbers of stop-and-frisk stops in Chicago, he said.
Jeff Sessions, shitstain.

“We’ve got to understand that police are the frontline soldiers in the effort to keep the crime under control, along with sheriffs’ deputies,” Sessions said on Monday.
Nothing worrying about comparing the police to soldiers.

“Many departments are not doing well in terms of morale, in terms of following good policies.”
We really should stop pointing out or prosecuting these civil rights violations by the police. It's bad for morale.

Forum Links
Forum Rules